Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started yesterday on cold start and happened again this morning and this evening always after sitting for hours. I would call it a chatter sound, very distinct and only on the first start. Never heard it before. Have 97K on car, will be changing the plugs soon. Once it is warm the sound is not there on starts. It is only when starting, sounds fine once running. What would only be noisy when cold like this? Timing chain? Valves? I'm going to let others with a better sense of engines than me (my son and his friend who are mechanics) listen to it and see what they think. But it needs to be cold. Never heard such a sound on my Hondas which makes me think it may be the chain. Funny how it just came out of no where.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Need some help here ..

"Drives Elantra GLS",, what yr ??

I cant get at HMASERVICE currently, but there been PCM update for Oil Control Valve logic, into a Version-2 of the original update..

The 1.8 in the UD/MD seems to have a wee bit of noise at start up that go away when oil pump make pressure in the system... really noisey when first start at oil change.

·
Registered
644 Posts
If your really concerned about damage to your engine you can always hook a switch between the fuel pump and it's relay, I did this to a couple of my summer car's with custom built engines so I could turn the car over a few seconds with pump off to get oil up into the engine & top end then flick it on and start it never had engine noise or oil starvation to the engine. I know it's a alot to do for some people and maybe over kill but also worked as a theft deterrent since switch was hidden/not labeled, so I'd flick it to off when parked no matter what wouldn't start without the switch on. Just a thought that way you'd be guarantee no oil in the cylinders or top end before it's started.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Many members in this forum (including me) have commented on the clattering racket their Elantra makes when first started. Maybe if you post a recording of the sound other members can have a listen and tell you what they think.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've always had an intermittent wuuuuu space ship sound on start up but have never heard this sound. Why would it just start now? I can't recall if it's the same sound I hear on firing up after oil change, I always fill up the filter with oil. If I can post the sound I will.
there been PCM update for Oil Control Valve logic, into a Version-2 of the original update
If there is a flash for the ecu do they charge much being out of warranty? I may stop by the dealer today and get the details, I need to recharge my Hyundai credit card, 50K miles to add.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this bulletin says update must be done by dealer prior to sale of vehicle and it applies to cars manufactured beginning the month after mine was manufactured.

Circulate To: Service Manager, Wa

rranty Manager, Service Advisors
, Technicians, Fleet Repair
Technical Service Bulletin
GROUP MODEL
CAMPAIGN ELANTRA (MD/UD)
DATE NUMBER
NOVEMBER, 2011 11-01-051
ECM UPDATE
(SERVICE CAMPAIGN TI4)
Description:
This bulletin provides information relat
ed to the ECM software update of some 2012MY
ELANTRA(MD/UD) 1.8L vehicles
for following improvements:
- OCV(Oil Control Valve) control logi
c for reduce OCV noise at cold start.
- ECM software logic for better fuel efficiency.
- Misfire Diagnostic function.
Applicable Vehicles:

2012 MY ELANTRA (MD/UD) with 1.8L engine
(June 1, 2011 to Oct 20, 2011 production)
GDS Information:
EVENT #
DESCRIPTION
(or later compatible event)* "UD 1.
8 MPI OCV LOGIC IMPROVEMENT(VER.2)."

·
Registered
33 Posts
happened to me also for first time.....cold start at around 21degrees F after sitting for over 12hrs....has about 9500mi....this was a real loud clatter that lasted for about 3 or 4 secs...never heard this before...made me also think of the timing chain....

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I also have this noise, I don't pay attention anymore. I have the 2011 model, how come the bulletin doesn't apply to me?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If your really concerned about damage to your engine you can always hook a switch between the fuel pump and it's relay
Any DIY advice on this mod, seems like it would be useful. Any other suggestions on how to get oil pumped before engine fires up?

·
22,788 Posts
This just started yesterday on cold start and happened again this morning and this evening always after sitting for hours. I would call it a chatter sound, very distinct and only on the first start. Never heard it before. Have 97K on car, will be changing the plugs soon.
Just curious, but what brand of oil filter do you have installed under there?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just curious, but what brand of oil filter do you have installed under there?
I use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil and Hyundai OEM filter. Same setup used since about 30K miles.

By the way Rich, how are you doing with the weather down there?

·
22,788 Posts
I use Toyota Genuine Motor Oil and Hyundai OEM filter. Same setup used since about 30K miles.
Well, that eliminates those from the equation. Do me a favor, when you figure this out, let me know. Curiosity is killing me.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a Mazda with 80K miles that had a similar sounding problem that was never completely repaired before I traded in the car. The sound would only happen when the car was cold and never effected operation in any way. It was a chatter sound that was closer to 'rod knock' if you're familiar with that sound. ( meaning: it was a deeper sound than a "tick-tick-tick" sound ). It was diagnosed as a bad variable valve timing actuator ( the timing chain cogwheel that controls intake timing ). A $1300 repair made it much better but it was still there when cold and silent when warm. One other idea might be one of the pulley assemblies on the serpentine belt is going bad. These can be "chattery" but are usually a higher pitched ticking sound. My valve timing issue took 5-7 minutes to go away while the serpentine belt situation I had on the same Mazda was louder at start up but was more consistent and didn't go away.

Do you put oil in your filter before mounting it? I was told enough dry starts would probably contribute to this engine condition that I had if I'd done that repeatedly.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just went out to the car with my son and he was going to record the sound for me and of course it wasn't there. Purred like a kitten. It's 44 F here now. It was warmer than that yesterday afternoon when I heard "it." In case this would be something that would be covered under the 100K warranty I would like to have the dealer aware of it but how can I do that under these circumstances? It's getting colder as the day goes on and tomorrow so I'll see what I hear then.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I replaced the filter today with another oem. I got these on ebay from a dealership in NC. I emailed them asking for their business information so I can check them out. I'm thinking that possibly I got a bad filter since I recently changed the oil and filter. I filled the filter with oil and no chatter on start up in 32°F temp.

·
22,788 Posts
Do you put oil in your filter before mounting it? I was told enough dry starts would probably contribute to this engine condition that I had if I'd done that repeatedly.
Doubtful you were correctly informed. I've been changing oil filters on cars since 1963. The Elantra was the first one I've owned with the filter mounted on the bottom. All of my other vehicles' filters were either horizontally mounted, or angled at about 45 degrees. Either configuration would have been impossible to pre-load with oil. All those vehicles? All those "dry starts?" Nah...that isn't it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this engine chater bothers me, sometimes its embarrassing. people look at me when i start it up. they probably think what a piece of crap. Hyundai should be ashamed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Mine has had a bit of chatter on start up since it was brand new. Just the timing chain/4 banger making a bit of noise. It's a bit more pronounced in the winter but in the 30k miles I've had my car, it hasn't gotten worse nor affected drivability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts