Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know that a turbo, wasn't a sealed unit. So does the motor oil also lubricate, the turbo? Or is there a seperate oil filler for the turbo? I remember working on a 06 impala, the idler pully was lubricanted by the oil pump..

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
On a turbo road car, using the engine oil is the best way to warm it quickly when cold and remove excess heat when warmed up through dissipation from the sump. It's routine on turbo-diesels and fine for gasoline road cars.

Track cars have different requirements in many respects.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Turbos are generally considered to be hard on oil and frequent oil changes are normal. My WRX used Mobil 1 and the changes were at 6000kms.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Turbos are generally considered to be hard on oil and frequent oil changes are normal. My WRX used Mobil 1 and the changes were at 6000kms.
On performance cars definitely - on road cars then not so. my turbo-diesel can go 20,000 miles (30,000 km) between changes - and Mobil 1 can be used.

Your Subaru WRX needed frequent oil changes because it used a track variant of the engine - ordinary turbo Subarus have normal Subaru OCI.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On performance cars definitely - on road cars then not so. my turbo-diesel can go 20,000 miles (30,000 km) between changes - and Mobil 1 can be used.

Your Subaru WRX needed frequent oil changes because it used a track variant of the engine - ordinary turbo Subarus have normal Subaru OCI.
Do you guys not use different oil across the pond? I would never leave oil in my diesel truck for more than 6k miles.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you guys not use different oil across the pond? I would never leave oil in my diesel truck for more than 6k miles.
10-12k on oil changes on our 7.3 ford. Or at this point yearly. Changing it at 6K you are over doing it IMO. But that's your choice to.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
The European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA from the French) issue a set of Oil Sequences http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/files/2010_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf which define different oils for different purposes. All brands of cars sold in Europe, not just those made here, define in the owners manual which ACEA grade is suitable for a specific engine.

This enables consumers and retailers to largely ignore the mineral/part-synthetic/full-synthetic debate although the oil chemists still need to know all about that.

We also use the US-originated SAE viscosity ranking in exactly the same way as anyone else which varies by local climate as well as the engine's requirement.

As a result, my owners handbook defines that my 2.2 CRDi turbo-diesel needs ACEA-C3 & SAE 5W-30 oil changed at 20,000 miles or 1 year whichever occurs first - so that's all I need to know - the fact that no part-synthetics meet that specification is irrelevant.

The US-originated API Service Classification is irrelevant in Europe although usually marked on oil sold here.

Australia and New Zealand adopt the ACEA standard voluntarily.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Another Member said the same thing..BUT..My Edmonton AB service manager said every 5000kms or 4 months for my AWD turbo...My oil changes are free for life so I will go by his recommendation:)

Nice to have the free oil changes, isn`t it!..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
10-12k on oil changes on our 7.3 ford. Or at this point yearly. Changing it at 6K you are over doing it IMO. But that's your choice to.
Not even close to that time you can tell the oil is going to ****. The fact that it uses it to fire the injectors means I don't play around with trying to push it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's a performance car or daily driver...... Turbo engines NEED GOOD OIL!

Motul 5W-40 comes to mind if you can get it.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's a performance car or daily driver...... Turbo engines NEED GOOD OIL!

Motul 5W-40 comes to mind if you can get it.
All engines need "good" oil.

In Europe, Motul sell GM Specific LL A/B 025 5W-30 which is good for 30,000 miles in turbo-diesels and a 5W-40 ACEA-C3 which is good for 20,000 miles in turbo-diesels including BMW and Mercedes.

Hyundai turbo-diesels can do very well on lesser oils as long as they're ACEA-C3 - eg Castrol Edge FST 0W-30 ACEA-C2,C3.

The secret is using the right oil for the engine - Europe has the ACEA category classification to do this - perhaps North America needs something similar? It's only a matter of test and certification - US oil companies already produce many ACEA graded oils for sale in Europe.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic

Advanced Full Synthetic with superior Active Cleansing Agent

Thinking of Trading up to a full synthetic? Next-generation Pennzoil Platinum Keeps pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standard.1
  • Cleans out engine sludge better than our conventional and synthetic blend oils2
  • Better for severe driving conditions than conventional and synthetic blend oils4
  • No other leading motor oil helps keep engines cleaner5
  • No other leading full synthetic oil provides better wear protection6
  • Exceeds the most stringent car manufacturer requirements for cleanliness and protection7-Including GM dexos18
Wear Protection
While all motor oils are designed to offer wear protection is just one part of protecting an engine.And it's a fact that no leading full synthetic motor oil provides better wear protection than Pennzoil Platinum.9
Specifications:
Pennzoil Platinum exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications:
  • Exceeds API SN and all previous categories; lLSAC GF-5 and ACEA A5
  • Exceeds Chrysler MS-6395, Ford WSS-M2C929-A, GM 609M, GM 4718M and Honda/Acura HTO-06
  • Exceeds Chrysler MS-6395, GM 6094M and GM 4718M
  • Exceeds APISL/CF, ACEA C3, A3/B4-04 and A3/B3-04
  • Meets BMW LL-04, MB-Approval 229.51, and VW 502 00/505 00/505 01
  • Exceeds API SL/CF, ACEA C3-04, A3/B4-04
  • Meets VW 504 00/507 00 and Chrysler MS-10725
Specifications met vary by viscosity grade.
1 Based on lLSAC GF-5 and Sequence lllG piston deposit test using SAE 5W-30.
2 Based on severe sludge clean-up test using SAE 5W-30.
3 Superior vs. our conventional and synthetic blend oils.
4 Examples of severe driving conditions are stop and go driving, frequent short trips, extreme hot or cold temperatures, extensive idling, driving with heavy loads, driving in dusty conditions.
5 Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30.
6 Based on Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.
7 Based on GF-4, Ford, Chrysler and GM specifications.
8 Applies to SAE 5W-30

Looks like this meets European standards

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Looks like this meets European standards

• Exceeds ... ACEA C3
This is a valid claim, the other ACEA claims are out of date.

Your problem is knowing WHICH grade at ACEA is needed for your specific engine and of course HMA won't know. The Australians normally get all the diesel and gasoline engines available (UK only gets diesels) but for the 2013 the Aussies aren't getting the 2.0T - only the 2.4GDi - pity as that would have told you which ACEA grade is needed.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts