Hyundai Forums banner

381 - 400 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
I work with the Kia version of these rails on the daily (Chrome Plating shop). The front and rear should just be caps (not sure if they are plastic or aluminum on the Santa Fe - they are plastic on the Kia). There are 2 mounting bolts through the body on each stanchion, and 2 mounting bolts under those caps on the rail itself. Undo all those, and it should lift out as 1 piece. The stanchions are press-fit on the Kia, and should be snug.

·
2,258 Posts
I work with the Kia version of these rails on the daily (Chrome Plating shop). The front and rear should just be caps (not sure if they are plastic or aluminum on the Santa Fe - they are plastic on the Kia). There are 2 mounting bolts through the body on each stanchion, and 2 mounting bolts under those caps on the rail itself. Undo all those, and it should lift out as 1 piece. The stanchions are press-fit on the Kia, and should be snug.
great post, thanks man. its certainly helping me paint a mental picture of what i am dealing with here.

my idea is to install a roof LED light bar, and to snake the wire through one of the rail holes thats there for the cross bars to snap into. then i want to fish the wire along the roof rail, to the mounting point, drill a hole, and fish it into the cabin. this way the wire is covered from the elements.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Imgur

Let's try that one again. in this photo, the rail is on the left (silver), there is a plastic base (Also silver) and the stanchion is orange, and the cap is pink. I see no reason for the Fe to be much different than this...

·
2,258 Posts
Imgur

Let's try that one again. in this photo, the rail is on the left (silver), there is a plastic base (Also silver) and the stanchion is orange, and the cap is pink. I see no reason for the Fe to be much different than this...
shoot, so its not hollow as i thought.

·
2,258 Posts
This is the cap, again, from the Kia Imgur
you think if i drill or cut away the vertical sections of that orange base, that it will lead to a hollow rail? from the pictures i have seen of the roof rail, it looks hollow.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I actually had Kia put holes in the stanchion part. Give me a minute, I'll upload some actual pics of the stanchion.

·
2,258 Posts
I actually had Kia put holes in the stanchion part. Give me a minute, I'll upload some actual pics of the stanchion.
dude you f-in rock, man. HUGE help!

·
2,258 Posts
I'm trying to find some photos, but I'm having a hard time. Is tomorrow AM too late for you?
not at all. take your time. i have a month to plan this project.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ok, I will grab the parts tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll compare them to my Fe and see how different they may be.

Cheers

·
2,258 Posts
Ok, I will grab the parts tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll compare them to my Fe and see how different they may be.

Cheers
sounds good man. thanks again!

·
2,258 Posts
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!! thanks man. thanks a bunch. my idea is to sneak the wire through the cross rail holes that are pre-drilled from the factory for propper cross-rail placement, and then through the roof rail, into that cast aluminum piece, drill a hole into the roof, and sneak the wires into the car that way.

what does it take to remove that cast piece off of the car?

·
2,258 Posts
i am thinking:
green: wires
red: grind down to the base of the cast aluminum
blue: drill all the way through
- and then fill in the hole with top grade "geocel" (10year exterior roofing silicone)

·
2,258 Posts
so check out the santa fe. its plastic! and looks a dat different.

·
2,258 Posts
shoot you know what i just realized?? there's might be an airbag under that.
from your experience, what do you think?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I only make 'em shiny - I can't really say for sure that they'd get in the way! I do think though that the plastic stanchion would work out better for you in this case!

·
2,258 Posts

381 - 400 of 414 Posts