Hyundai Forums banner

361 - 380 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not entirely sure if you can put in aftermarket roof rail. I do know that when I was looking for crossbars, Thule had an option for roofs with no rails so you could always go with that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 Santa Fe Sport with the panoramic roof. It does have the side rails but several dealers told me they wouldnt sell me the cross rails with that roof.

The dealer I finally bought it from sold them to me but told me not to open the roof when they are on the car. When I took the car there to have them install the cross rails they decided they wanted to experiment, which I told them was at their own risk/liability.

Happy ending, because the way they installed them I am still able to open the panoramic roof too! When driving with the roof open there isnt even any extra noise interference. Very Happy!

Warning to others trying this, there are several installation holes to choose from when installing the cross rails. Different positioning MAY be an issue with opening the roof.
ShamuDriver,

Can you post pics of yours showing how they are installed to allow the pano roof to still open?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks..I wasn't sure. I am going to look into Thule and Yakima as well.
Here's mine with the Thule Cross bars and the Thule ski rack. Note, I did have the factory roof rails, if you're going the Thule route, you need the Thule podium, cross bars, and fit kit; I don't know about Yakima. You can go to their website and it should tell you what you need for a fitting without the roof rails. My pano roof opens fully with no problem, skis and boards loaded.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
The clip-on roof rack for SFS with PANO. Does it wear/ rub the paint where it contacts the body? Can't see the paint on these Hyundai's holding up that well. Anyone experience this. Thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I don't like about my Thule...
The Thule Aerofoil bars are wing shaped and their attachments would fit an elliptical profile better. You have to be careful with the install so the bolts don't scratch the aluminum crossbar.

The Thule rack uses an Allen key to tighten them. Easy to drop and scratch the car.

There is another make that has been mentioned on this forum, just can't remember it now. It uses an elliptical profile and a "no tools" install method.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
This is a set up done by Rack Attack in Denver. But they have locations all over. As you can see this works with the panny. Full articulation as long as you don't have anything dropped below the cross bars. You can actually source all the parts from Yakima and do this yourself, if you're inclined enough to do so. The rails are permanent but low profile. The cross bars can be removed, obviously. These rails are 42", but longer ones would probably work as well. You're welcome!!
Those are cool!! That would work great for my needs. Must see if there are any rack attack locations in Canada. Could you let us know the part(s) number? Thx

·
2,258 Posts
I've attached a few photos, including some close-ups of the feet on both sides. The feet are darker than they appear in the photos - the flash is washing them out. (And speaking of washing, yes the vehicle is in need of some cleaning - lots of rain here lately.)
excellent pics. thank you very much!

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,247 Posts
So I have noticed...

as I search for cross bars for Copper Top, I am seeing two different models.

The Hyundai ones (seen on Amazon) that seem more flush to the roof as well as a taller version (seen on eBay) that ships from South Korea. Two questions for the members here

1. Are the OEM cross bars enough to hold a hard sided cargo box (empty wt of 40lbs) plus about 60 lbs of cargo?
2. Is there any advantage to having the taller bars (I do not have a pano roof but curious if there is enough room underneath the regular bars to put the U bolts for the cargo box)
3. Why are cross bars for the DM model Santa Fe so expensive??? The cheapest I have seen are like 220. I bought cross bars for the Terrain for like 129 bucks...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Here's mine with the Thule Cross bars and the Thule ski rack. Note, I did have the factory roof rails, if you're going the Thule route, you need the Thule podium, cross bars, and fit kit; I don't know about Yakima. You can go to their website and it should tell you what you need for a fitting without the roof rails. My pano roof opens fully with no problem, skis and boards loaded.
Thats the setup went with as well. Originally I had bolted the ski/snowboard carrier flush to the aero blade but realized when I attempted to flip my board over to check how close it got to the roof and it would be too close for comfort in touching the roof. Ended up going back to the same set up as Madhoshi.

I attached some pics when I had it flush with the cross bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I got an answer from my dealership here in ontario. There is no possible way that factory rails can be added to the 13'SF with PANO. I was told that the first body mold to come off the production line is not capable of having rails attached.
My guess is there's no way to mount the rails into the roof line. When the weather gets a little warmer here I'm gonna pull off the plastic trim that runs along the outside of the pano to see for myself.
The company RackAttack offers a low profile rail that is bolted onto those same plastic trim pieces. I'm a little skeptical of that design.

·
2,258 Posts
does anyone know how to dissemble the stock oem roof rails on a non-glass roof? i want to snake a wire through the roof

·
2,258 Posts
does anyone know how to dissemble the stock oem roof rails on a non-glass roof? i want to snake a wire through the roof

·
2,258 Posts
just dug up some cool pics:

361 - 380 of 414 Posts