Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 414 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I note that in the Cdn packages, as soon as you get into the premium or limited packages that have the panoramic sunroof, you lose the side rails. This would be a deal breaker for me given I need the option of hauling my kayak and my cargo box around occasionally. But at the same time, I would be looking for a fully loaded SF.

I recall that when the Toyota Venza with pano roof came out, there was nothing available from factory, but an aftermarket option was either offered by dealer almost immediately or within a couple of months of release.

Anyone know if there are options for side rails with the panoramic roof?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering the same thing! I would also be wondering about using cargo boxes at all with the large sunroof - would this be safe even if the rails were available? Ideally I would choose a limited package with no panoramic sunroof.

Otherwise, I think the Premium with AWD is as close as possible given the posted packages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Panoramic Roof and Possible roof rails???

We are very interested in the 2013 SF Sport loaded up as much as possible but that seems to mean that roof rails are not possible. I have seen photos of the Korean models and the comparable Sorento with both the larger panoramic roof and rails so is it possible to have this done even if it is not a factory option??? We sure would like to be able to put our low profile ski box on the roof

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am with you guys and really wonder if there is a still a way to do hyundai rails with the Pan roof. There are pics on the Korean website showing the glass roof on the 2013 with rails. The new Kia Sorento also can be purchased with the rails and Panoramic roof. The two vehicles come from the same factory such that maybe it would be possible???

Many of the other SUV's like Jeep GC and VW Tourareg can have both so its not likely a structural issue. If anyone finds a way to do this it would sell one for me too....I might wait for the 2014 Jeep GC which will have diesel and the new 8 speed auto.......

·
Registered
423 Posts
Not to dismiss the desire of those wanting roof racks with a panoramic roof, but I don't think on any of our past SUVs that we ever put anything on a roof except for 1 time, so for me it isn't a big deal, but for others I understand it could be. If the Korean version has them I don't see why the US version couldn't or why you couldn't add them after the fact by buying the Korean parts from Korea and simply bolting them to the US car as I would imagine that the mounting points are probably still there. (although admittedly I haven't looked but will try to remember to do so the next time I see a panoramic roof version in person)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Has anyone heard of when the roof rack cross bars will be available (and cost) on the non-panorama sunroof model? Still haven't seen a trailer hitch option and price yet rendering me with no way to transport my bikes :-(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Roof Rail Crossbars?

With the OEM trailer hitches showing up on ebay I would imagine that the roof rails would be close behind. Has anyone seen them in person or on any websites for sale and if so how much are they listed for? I am in desperate need of a way to carry around bikes! Hyundai seems to be a little backward with their vehicle releases.
Ken

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FYI...the Thule USA site has a set up for the SF Sport WITH factory rails (ie. no panoramic roof). In fact, ORS has a 20% off sale ending midnight tonight. Full set up for SF Sport with rails, including feet +adapter kit and the sleek aerobars is $339, free shipping. Not bad. My only concern is I don't see any option with locks. Still, this is a pretty good deal...I would get this in a heartbeat if I knew for sure I was getting the SF. Bought my current Thule set up there.

Fellow Canucks, if you know anyone in the US to whom you can ship (or set send it to UPS just over border) and want racks, you will be hard pressed to find anything close to this price in Canada. If you do, please let the rest of us know. I saved about $250 off Cdn prices when I bought my current set up from ORS for my Highlander.

Cheers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
unfortunately there is nothing that will work as the whole roof is glass and there is no support to put anything on the roof. The issue is the glass extneds all the way to the edge and nothing can mount to it. The info I got is no one is making any roof rails for the panoramic roof version of the SF. So if you're looking for roof rails don't get the panoramic roof.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
unfortunately there is nothing that will work as the whole roof is glass and there is no support to put anything on the roof. The issue is the glass extneds all the way to the edge and nothing can mount to it.
FWIW, I was in a funeral procession last week. Just before the procession started, the undertaker went down the line of cars putting magnetic funeral flags on the roof of each car. When he tried to put one on mine, it wouldn't stick, it slid off.
John

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Won't work. You'll need the version without the panaramic roof. But note the options availability. The large 8" Nav screen is not available with the standard roof to my knowledge. A relative is looking at one and this what the brochure said. Whether it could be retrofitted is another matter. I tend to doubt it.

I would miss the large screen, back-up camera and all the features that come with it and it works seamlessly as it is designed that way.

Might have to look at another make or model. What about the new Kia version? Maybe they offer it. Otherwise, something like the Toyota Venza may be in order. Not sure about the Honda CRV.

·
Registered
335 Posts
unfortunately there is nothing that will work as the whole roof is glass and there is no support to put anything on the roof. The issue is the glass extneds all the way to the edge and nothing can mount to it. The info I got is no one is making any roof rails for the panoramic roof version of the SF. So if you're looking for roof rails don't get the panoramic roof.
Here's my reply from Yakima, after telling them the issue was the panorama roof, specifically. Also, in another thread, there is a Thule Rack on a SF with a Pano roof (from France), apparently.
Response (Meko Thomson) 11/06/2012 12:17 PM
Hi, Geoff, and thank you for contacting Yakima Customer Support.

We need to test every vehicle as it comes out with our racks to make sure that the fit is safe. Our Fit Team has not had an opportunity to test that vehicle. We cannot test anything until one becomes available from a dealership and then it has to go through rigorous testing to be sure it is a safe fit. Many times, once we’ve gone through all of the testing we can use one of our existing tower systems and call out the fit. That usually just takes a month or so after we’ve seen it. If we cannot use an existing system, we need to develop something especially for it and that does take at least 6 months to go through the development process.

I have logged that you requested a fit for your car, which will help show our engineers there is demand for it. Once the vehicle has been evaluated, Yakima Car Racks, Bike Racks, Roof Racks for Skis, Cargo & Kayaks will be updated with the information (follow the “Fit My Car” link).

Thank you for your inquiry.
Yakima Customer Support

·
Registered
244 Posts
Are you sure about that . . ?

2013 Hyundai Santa Fe CRDi Premium Limited - Exterior/Interior Walkaround - 2012 Paris Auto Show - YouTube

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Folks, unless I am missing something, that video clearly shows that that that SF has the flush mount side rails, like the SF version available in Korea. Thule already has an option on their site for the flush mount rails for purchase (probably the one in the video)....see the Thule site.

The problem is, the SF in NA with the panny roof does not come with the side rails, so a special foot/pod would have to be designed to clip onto the roof....or at some point, some aftermarket rails will come available. Perhaps our rules are more stringent w.r.t. load bearing strength of the roof??? No idea....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Folks, unless I am missing something, that video clearly shows that that that SF has the flush mount side rails, like the SF version available in Korea. Thule already has an option on their site for the flush mount rails for purchase (probably the one in the video)....see the Thule site.

The problem is, the SF in NA with the panny roof does not come with the side rails, so a special foot/pod would have to be designed to clip onto the roof....or at some point, some aftermarket rails will come available. Perhaps our rules are more stringent w.r.t. load bearing strength of the roof??? No idea....
I believe you are correct, that the US market Sport will not have the siderail with the panny roof. But the LWB version with the panny roof will have them on the Limited model?

1 - 20 of 414 Posts