Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
water & salt, not just cold weather, is what is causing it to corrode. summer time has plenty rain, so you wont have to wait till next winter to get failures.

i would start by going to the dealer and stating you get the blue screen. tell them its frequent enough for you to be unhappy. they may just change it.

otherwise, you are sitting on a ticking time-clock as to when, not if, it will fail.

you can watch my video, and see if you want to apply silicone where i did, and see if that helps. i just checked mine a few days ago, and the black RTV is holding up well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5psTqttx1Ro
here is the DIY video and parts list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So mine 2013 Santa Fe sport just startrd having this problem this morning. Black screen when the backup camera should engage.

The above looks simple enough. Any cheaper after market cameras that would work? $230 for a camera seems expensive.

Anyone know what the dealership chargers?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
So my screen is blue.
Anyone no the difference between a blue screen and black screen?
Also interested in find a cheaper aftermarket camera.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new here, but thought I would share my experience. Had the same problem with blue screen with back up camera. I fixed it myself, dealer wanted $600. Took the camera out and took it apart. Moisture got inside, very poor design. I purchased contact cleaner and dielectric silicone. Sprayed the board and then loaded the silicone inside it. Plugged it back in and thankfully it worked and still works after a couple of weeks. Even took it through a car wash. Hope this helps.

·
2,253 Posts
I am new here, but thought I would share my experience. Had the same problem with blue screen with back up camera. I fixed it myself, dealer wanted $600. Took the camera out and took it apart. Moisture got inside, very poor design. I purchased contact cleaner and dielectric silicone. Sprayed the board and then loaded the silicone inside it. Plugged it back in and thankfully it worked and still works after a couple of weeks. Even took it through a car wash. Hope this helps.
how much fun was that plastic trim to remove? lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
PMJR440,
How big a deal was it taking it apart? I was going to use ImSTricken's youtube as a guide. Is the dielectric silicone readily available?

Thanks..Bob

·
2,253 Posts
PMJR440,
How big a deal was it taking it apart? I was going to use ImSTricken's youtube as a guide. Is the dielectric silicone readily available?

Thanks..Bob
the hardest part, and its not even hard... its just a PITA... is that plastic trim that is on the trunk. otherwise the camera itself is taken apart by 4 screws if i remember correctly.

and you can buy Permatex die-electric grease in every autoparts store or walmart. its safe on all electronic connections, rubber & plastic parts, brake caliper slider pins, weather seals, etc. its great stuff to have around the garage. a tube is like $5

·
2,253 Posts
its probably easier if you simply take the camera and smother it with RTV silicone. that will make it totally waterproof.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 Santa Fe 2.0T Back-Up Camera - Blue Screen

When I put the car in reverse, I now see a blue screen. Any advice? Any thoughts on cost to repair?

Also, there's a burning smell - like an electrical smell. Anyone experience this?Any costs for repairs?

I'm thinking of trading it in for the 2016 model.

Any info/experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PMJR440,

Thanks..Bob
It wasn't to bad to take apart, just be gentle with the plastic and don't do it when the plastic is cold. When taking the camera apart be careful not to strip the tiny screws. I used contact cleaner and used a brush gently to help with the removal of corrosion (let it dry really good). You could try using a tooth brush. I purchased some dielectric lube/silicone from princess auto and filled up the camera with it. So far so good and the wife goes to the car wash regularly and it has rained a lot here. Good Luck

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fortunately have not run into this problem, but it made me think about the warranty. I bought my '14 SFS used and for an extra $1500 paid for all around aftermarket window tinting plus a 100K "wrap" warranty. The wrap is supposed to take items that were covered only under the original 3 yr/36,000 mi extended that to 100k. Also items that are 5 yr/60,000 mi to 100k. And since I was a second owner, to take the powertrain portion back to the first owner coverage of 100k.

So, I wonder if this camera issue would really be covered as one would assume? I've been skeptical if this added warranty might fall short when it really comes down to having to use it. Anyone have experience using the "wrap" extended warranty? Thx.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When I put the car in reverse, I now see a blue screen. Any advice? Any thoughts on cost to repair?

Also, there's a burning smell - like an electrical smell. Anyone experience this?Any costs for repairs?

I'm thinking of trading it in for the 2016 model.

Any info/experience would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having the same blue screen issue with my back up camera. Actually having the camera replaced through Hyundai tomorrow as its still under warranty (3 yrs or 60,000km).
From what i've read on another thread here, the blue screen is happening due to water/moisture damage to the camera. Hopefully the new one they're installing on mine will be designed better so it doesn't go faulty due to water/moisture.

Not sure about the burning smell, you mean its coming from the camera?

·
2,253 Posts
MissSantafeTurbo, i know you are new, i'll cut you a break lol; but please-please follow forum rules. also read this prior to ever creating a new thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/292042-read-before-creating-new-thread.html

we have a search function = so lets use it. if you would have used it prior to making a new thread, you would have found this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-santa-fe/259690-chatroom-reverse-backup-camera-blue-screen-repair.html

and this video i made:

so im merging your thread, with the existing thread linked above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had luck and managed to fix the black screen.

Managed to remove the rear plastic molding (broke some plastic pins it was a serious PITA to remove) to access the rear view camera.

Disconnected and disassembled it and found pretty much what everyone else finds, a lot of moisture and corrosion on the electronic boards. Cleaned the boards as best as I could with a toothbrush, I put dielectric grease to further prevent corrosion and assembled everything back taking care to seal it with silicone. It works now. Saved about 400$ CAD and a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did not have success. I had the blue screen issue two winters in a row. After the first winter it corrected itself after the weather/driving conditions improved in the spring/summer. After the second winter I didn't have the same luck. I decided to use the video and attempt the repair. Same deal as most people, pretty straight forward, broke a few plastic pins, etc. The problem I ran into though was the screws holding the camera together were so corroded that I couldn't get them off, even with penetrating oil. So I clamped the camera into a vise and tried drilling out the screws. NO LUCK, cracked the camera lens. End of project.

So my question is, has anyone tried one of the aftermarket cameras on Ebay? The are crazy cheap (inexpensive) around $30. The only difference I see is with the electrical interface. Which I thought I could steal the pigtail off the old camera and splice it into the new camera. For $30 I thought it was worth the try. Back up camera is not worth be paying around $200 for OEM part.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did not have success. I had the blue screen issue two winters in a row. After the first winter it corrected itself after the weather/driving conditions improved in the spring/summer. After the second winter I didn't have the same luck. I decided to use the video and attempt the repair. Same deal as most people, pretty straight forward, broke a few plastic pins, etc. The problem I ran into though was the screws holding the camera together were so corroded that I couldn't get them off, even with penetrating oil. So I clamped the camera into a vise and tried drilling out the screws. NO LUCK, cracked the camera lens. End of project.

So my question is, has anyone tried one of the aftermarket cameras on Ebay? The are crazy cheap (inexpensive) around $30. The only difference I see is with the electrical interface. Which I thought I could steal the pigtail off the old camera and splice it into the new camera. For $30 I thought it was worth the try. Back up camera is not worth be paying around $200 for OEM part.
I'm looking to do the same. Willing to bet you can replace the camera board for under $20 (and that's with a BETTER quality camera). I've been building racing quadcopters lately and played a lot with the cameras. They're actually security cameras or 'board cameras'. Basically we just need one with the same voltage and ideally the same connector (but that part is more easily worked around). I have a couple here, I may give it a shot this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Faulty Manufacturing Design by Hyundai is the problem!

I just brought my Santa Fe in because I had the blue screen and it was just outside the warranty period and they said they couldn't do anything about it. I found that whenever there was a heavy rain the camera would act up. When I would put the car in reverse the screen would be blue when the connection would still be wet. When the moisture would dry off the screen would work normally.

A previous poster found the same video I did and it shows corrosion on the camera body from water damage to the camera. In my mind this is a poor manufacturing design that should be covered for by Hyundai whether during or after the warranty period. If the manufacturer designs a part that allows water to leak and cause damage to interior components they should repair it at any time whether warranty period or not.

Check the camera for water damage I think this is the primary problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
I finally got around to doing something about my camera.

Short version of my repair experience:
  • If your camera just recently stopped working, try taking it apart and cleaning it and sealing it. You may be able to save it.
  • Otherwise, the AUTO-VOX CAM1 is a nice replacement option for only $36 USD or $44 CAD. More info on this below.
  • Protip 1: You don't need to remove the taillights as suggested, to get to the OEM camera.
  • Protip 2: You can the circular end of a small wrench to pop out all of the clips without breaking them. I've taken everything apart 4 times now without breaking a single clip. You just need to push against each clip from both sides of th clip (push the wrench at the clip from the side that you can see until you hear it click, and then wrap the circular end around the clip and pull the wrench towards yourself until you hear another click).
Long version:
I took the camera apart and it was indeed all corroded. I cleaned it up and put it back together and to my surprise it was working fine again. However, I didn't do anything to prevent it from corroding again, so it did just that within a few weeks, and it wasn't fixable the second time around.

So then I put in one of my quadcopter FPV cameras but it didn't fit as well as I'd hoped, and the picture wasn't mirrored (I never considered that the picture would need to be mirrored). It also had the wrong lens so I couldn't see nearly as wide of a picture. And, it wasn't waterproof or anything. So that experiment failed pretty quickly.

After that I started researching aftermarket backup cameras and there are some interesting options. One is a license plate light cover that has a camera in it. I was tempted by that but ended up choosing to buy one that seemed a little more reputable, waterproof, and with decent placement (dead center above the licence plate). It's the AUTO-VOX CAM1 (http://amzn.to/2mSmVOn or http://amzn.to/2mp4Cml).

Hooking up the CAM1 involved unplugging the OEM camera harness and cutting the OEM camera off of it, then soldering the wires from that harness to the CAM1 board (I do not mean to the camera itself). The CAM1 board is in plastic housing that has a plug for the camera to connect to on one end, and an RCA plug as well as red and black wires coming out the other. I opened the housing (easy as it's held together by 2 small screws) and desoldered the RCA plug and 2 power wires that were there, then soldered the red, white, and yellow from the OEM harness on instead. After plugging the CAM1 into its board and doing a quick test, I then drilled a small hole in the plastic near the OEM camera to allow the CAM1 wiring to run inside, and put everything back together.

The CAM1 seems to have superior picture quality compared to the OEM camera, and works better at night as well. I'll take some photos when I get the chance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
So here are some photos of the finished product. The black plate that the camera is on can be moved up and down. Mine is peeking out just a bit, I'll probably move it downward to hide it.

As for how to hook it up..

Hooking up the CAM1 involved cutting the OEM camera off of the harness it's attached to, and soldering the wires from the harness to the CAM1 board. The CAM1 board is in plastic housing that has a plug for the camera to connect to on one end, and an RCA plug as well as red and black wires coming out the other. I opened the housing (easy as it's held together by 2 small screws) and desoldered the RCA plug and 2 power wires, then soldered the red, white, and yellow from the OEM harness instead. After plugging the CAM1 into its board and doing a quick test, I then drilled a small hole in the plastic near the OEM camera to allow the CAM1 wiring to go from outside-in, and put everything back together.
The photo with the bare board shows what's inside the CAM1 plug (which is the other photo with the black tube that has wires coming out of one end). You can see that it has red, black, and yellow wires attached to it. I simply desoldered those.

The photos with the wires leading to a white connector are from inside the OEM camera camera housing. I cut the wires before they enter into that housing, but don't have photos of that. You can see that there's a red, black, yellow, and white wire. Red and black being power, yellow being video, and white being something else (reverse signal or OSD I assume). Solder those to the CAM1 board, minus the white wire which isn't needed (use heatshrink or something on the end of it to keep it from touching anything). I left the now-detached OEM camera housing and camera in its original place to plug what would be an otherwise empty hole.

Camera works great, is adjustable, and is a **** of a lot cheaper than the OEM replacement. I think it's more weatherproof as well.

EDIT: Note the filenames of each photo so that you can tell what you're looking at

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Camera Problems

I have a 2013 Santa FE Sport 2.0. This is my second Santa FE. I have viewed the Forums on many occasions but this is my first time as a member

I am trying to check the fuse that provides power for the Back View Camera but I do not see it listed anywhere. I think it is provided by a 10A that supports other functions. My Back View Camera has been black for several weeks. I did a few resets but no difference. Just wanted to check the fuse before removing the tailgate trim and back panel to have a look at it. Warranty has expired

Much appreciated if someone could point me in the right direction.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts