Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe my camera may have the corrosion problem starting.
This past winter I had various issues ranging from Blue Screen, to no screen to, a picture without waring lines.
My problem is now that winter is over the camera is working fine. I afraid that it won't act up again until next winter, and by then the warranty will be expired.
Is there anything I can do now while it is dry and working that will prevent the weather getting into it next winter. I was thinking a silicone caulk or something.
Any thoughts on what to use and where to apply it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
2,258 Posts
I believe my camera may have the corrosion problem starting.
This past winter I had various issues ranging from Blue Screen, to no screen to, a picture without waring lines.
My problem is now that winter is over the camera is working fine. I afraid that it won't act up again until next winter, and by then the warranty will be expired.
Is there anything I can do now while it is dry and working that will prevent the weather getting into it next winter. I was thinking a silicone caulk or something.
Any thoughts on what to use and where to apply it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
water & salt, not just cold weather, is what is causing it to corrode. summer time has plenty rain, so you wont have to wait till next winter to get failures.

i would start by going to the dealer and stating you get the blue screen. tell them its frequent enough for you to be unhappy. they may just change it.

otherwise, you are sitting on a ticking time-clock as to when, not if, it will fail.

you can watch my video, and see if you want to apply silicone where i did, and see if that helps. i just checked mine a few days ago, and the black RTV is holding up well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I guess to add to this...the problem was intermittent and naturally...the problem would NEVER replicate while I was at the dealership. I ended up taking two videos of the issue with my phone and showed the dealership the issue.

They looked at the video and went ahead and authorized the warranty work. Problem resolved. Pretty stand-up of them to just fix it based on my video and not give me a hard time about it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So if I have a problem where the screen goes blank when I shift into reverse I should try and record it and document it and then take it to the stealership? I have seen this happen to me numerous times and it pisses me off!

·
Registered
163 Posts
So if I have a problem where the screen goes blank when I shift into reverse I should try and record it and document it and then take it to the stealership? I have seen this happen to me numerous times and it pisses me off!
Does it go blank for only a second, and then come back on? If so, here's why.

What is happening is that you are putting it into reverse before the system can fully boot up. If you pay close attention, when it first comes on, it doesn't have any guide lines or warning text. When it boots up, it blanks out for a second, and then comes back on and now has the guide lines and warning text.

It is perfectly normal. Generally, if you wait a second before putting it into reverse, it will have finished the quick boot and you won't see it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No, mine goes to a blank screen for ever until I restart the car. I drove to a store that's about 30 minutes away and when I threw it in reverse it stayed a black screen and never came up. I shifted into park and threw it back into reverse and still no luck. It has happened numerous times, but the most recent time was this past Saturday. I understand your comment about throwing it into reverse as soon as the car comes on because I get that as well sometimes, but these have been happening after the system is fully booted up and on for a while.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2015 SFS with nav, and I'm wondering if the guide lines are supposed to bend when you turn the wheel? My '15 Sonata Sport does, but the SFS stays straight no matter what, so not sure if this is a glitch.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As far as I know, the Sonata has the bendy lines because it also has updated software (which includes Android Auto/iOS CarPlay). The system in the SFS is a generation behind, so it doesn't have that neat stuff yet. If only they'd give us a software upgrade. Hopefully the '16 will have all the bendy lines and the Android/iOS integration.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As far as I know, the Sonata has the bendy lines because it also has updated software (which includes Android Auto/iOS CarPlay). The system in the SFS is a generation behind, so it doesn't have that neat stuff yet. If only they'd give us a software upgrade. Hopefully the '16 will have all the bendy lines and the Android/iOS integration.
I should have specified, the sonata does not have nav, just the touch screen audio/back up camera. Would be great if an upgrade would add that to the SFS though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backup camera 2013 SFS

My backup camera went blue screen today and called for service appointment to repair. Questioned if under warranty and response was they need to exam the problem. After reading all these responses if looks like a common problem, and hopefully they don't require 2 appointments to fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is this backup camera problem only occurring on 2013 SFS's? I have a 2016 SFS, but only have a little over 7K miles and, of course, not having this issue. Is anyone with a 2014 or 2015 experiencing this issue? Just curious.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yet another problem

Backup camera is dead... My Santa Fe has 123 000 km (73 000 ) miles. Of course it's not cover buy the warranty anymore.

Seems that I'm not the only one so I'm pretty pissed off

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 14' SF camera stopped working 2 weeks ago. 25,000kms. The first time it started flickering like there was an electrical short then it went black. Since then it has worked a couple times but mostly a black screen. Called the dealership told them what was happening and booked an appointment. Showed up and they said they'd look at it and if it needed to be replaced they'd have to order the part. Can't believe they don't stock these things. I live 45mins from the dealership not convenient. They decided to replace the camera and it would probably be 2 weeks before the part would be in and that they'd call me. 4 days later I got a call saying the part was in, great. Made the appointment for a couple days later then received a call the day before the appointment telling me the part was not there, WTF. Anyways still waiting for the call to have my camera replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had this issue with my 2014 Santa Fe Sport. Had this issue one time last year where it went blank but came back on. Had been fine until now, i'm guessing it is from the cold and like someone mentioned the corrosion.

Scheduled a appointment for next week.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Noticed the other day backing up, the camera image went black for about 2-3 seconds. It had just finished downloading my contacts I think, so it must have some computer high taxation for a moment when doing that function. Guessing nothing wrong, no big deal. When the backup image is gone full time, is it always the camera itself? I'm sure either way it's an expensive repair.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had problems last winter, I waited until spring after I knew it was good and dry, and the camera was working. I put a bead of clear RTV caulk around where the two halves of the camera are sealed together. I figured I would try to keep moisture out the camera.
So far this winter no problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Backup Camera - Radio Playing

Thisin may be a dumb question but I've never had a backup camera. Should the radio play when your in reverse and the backup camera is on. Is there a setting on the Santa Fe that needs to set that I don't know about. I just purchased a 2016 Santa Fe when I first got it the radio did not play when the backup camera was activated but recently started. I don't know if I have turned a setting on or if I need to take in for service. Any advise. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had problems last winter, I waited until spring after I knew it was good and dry, and the camera was working. I put a bead of clear RTV caulk around where the two halves of the camera are sealed together. I figured I would try to keep moisture out the camera.
So far this winter no problems.
So much for my fix. Screen went blue a couple days ago. We'll have to see if comes back after winter is over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I started seeing the blue screen on December 2015 on my SFS 2013. Once I saw this thread, I called my Hyundai dealer and arranged an appointment to have it checked. I asked why would they need an appointment just to check and they mentioned that in this case sometimes it could be the camera or the dashboard unit. They confirmed after my appointment the camera is faulty and they will change it for me at no cost (warranty). I am waiting because the camera is backordered. Will update once I get it replaced.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts