Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hello fellow owners!

Since yesterday, the backup camera started acting up as of yesterday. It started with flickering of the image and then the screen went blank ( dark screen ). Disengage reverse and everything works perfectly ie: Navigation, CD, Bluetooth streaming, AM/FM, Bluetooth Call ect... Anyone having/had similar issues? Any suggestions?

Video By ImStricken06

·
Registered
289 Posts
take it to the dealership. I've not had this issue with my SFS but on my Optima i had this happen and the camera was bugged. They just ordered a new one and put it in. No charge. Hyundai warranty FTW

·
Registered
32 Posts
mine goes completely blue while in reverse quite often. of course it won't do it while in the service department and they claim they've never heard of such an issue. lots of times if it's not completely failed/blue, the screen appears very strainy as if you are watching an old worn out vhs tape.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
mine goes completely blue while in reverse quite often. of course it won't do it while in the service department and they claim they've never heard of such an issue. lots of times if it's not completely failed/blue, the screen appears very strainy as if you are watching an old worn out vhs tape.
Keep your cell phone/camera handy and capture an image when it happens again. Perhaps this will help the service dept. Just perhaps. ^_^
John

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Finally took it to the dealership last Friday and they decided to order a new head-unit. The camera looks to be ok so they said. I'm just anxious that they will rip apart the dash and create some unwanted noises afterward.

·
Registered
35 Posts
my head unit went bad after one week I purchased the car: It will turn to black screen when using rear view camera under cold weather, and after warm up it is working fine. Dealer replaced camera first, which did not help, and they replace the head unit, problem solved! No problem after that, it has been 20K miles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My rear camera quite working also and the dealer replaced. You would put it in reverse and the screen would go black put it in drive and it worked perfectly. Rear camera by licence plate was replaced.

·
Registered
759 Posts
This seems to be the only thread with screen/camera issues...
My SFS is now 1.5 years old with 43k on it... got the blue screen while backing up for the first time yesterday - will be calling the dealer. Just wanted to see if others had this issue, and what the fix was.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eversince they swapped the head-unit, I haven't had this issue. Give the dealership a visit and as it was suggested throughout the thread, take a picture or record the sequence. Good luck!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Might be a bad cable(connection) or water in the camera (it's exposed to the weather after all).

I can't believe the head-unit could be faulty (while the other functions remain working .. )

But I can believe that dealers love to spend hours replacing something so they can bill Hyundai for the work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This seems to be the only thread with screen/camera issues...
My SFS is now 1.5 years old with 43k on it... got the blue screen while backing up for the first time yesterday - will be calling the dealer. Just wanted to see if others had this issue, and what the fix was.
Sure did, blue screen and everything. Started acting up about 3 months after I got the 2014. It seemed to start fogging up after automatic car washes and heavy rains, then the blue screen was intermittent from day to day. Then the blue screen was permanent.
Dealership took care of it under warranty, camera replacement, in and out of there in 1/2 hour.
I never had a camera before prior to this vehicle, it took a while to trust it, but I must say I really missed it while it was broken and I would never get another vehicle without that feature.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got this problem 2 weeks ago...

At first it was very slow... like i put on reverse and it took 15-20 seconds to the camera go on...

Couples of days later.. black screen, sometimes, noise in it... sometimes it work...

Since last week... not work anymore.

Got a appointemnet at the dealer for a oil change... they ordered a new camera.. also i have a noise in the passenger rear wheel.... they ordered a wheel bearing... at 37000km... not very impressed!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got this problem as well. The service manager said it's the fourth SF they've seen with this issue in recent months. New camera has been ordered.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got this problem 4 days after buying the car, it is a 2013 Santa Fe. Dealer replaced the camera, not helping; Dealer replaced the head unit, it works! And it's been working fine since that, 2 years and 2 months.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sounds like 2013 is very buggy which is not surprised as first year of new model. My 2015 is problem free so far.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts