Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I despise chrome accenting, and the OEM look of wheels has always bugged me. So I purchased a DIY wheel kit from PlastiDip for $25 and finally found a day to get to work. The kit came with 4 cans, and it allowed for four coats on the wheels, 6 coats on the grill, and the badges, and I still have more left. This was my first time using this product, and I have to say, it was extremely easy to use. In the past, I have always just rattle canned car parts, thus leaving it permanent. For those who aren't aware, PlastiDip peels off whenever you want, so you can change the color at your dismay.

Anyways, enough of the blah blah blah, here are some pictures of the end results. Let me know what you think.

Zach

Car color is Cabo Bronze:

Left the T blue!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Nicely done, it looks ok but I prefer the stock look better.

BTW, that color, depending on the angle, looks just like mine (mineral gray). It's funny how in some lighting they are so different but at times look like the same color.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Looks great, need to do the front and rear bumper grey parts.
How hard was it to remove the badges, did you remove the grille?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Very, very nice on your color. Not bad at all for $25, I just hope it is durable with being able to peel it off so easily.

Not so sure how it would look on my Frost White Pearl. I am still thinking about getting the wheels chromed when someone has them for exchange. I know, I am a little behind the times but never had chrome wheels and love the way they look on nice stock rims.

·
Registered
157 Posts
holy donkey ballz! that's very nice! i did want the gun metal finished wheels but it didn't work out that way. as angelo is asking, how long will it stay on? any typical time periods?

·
Registered
39 Posts
that looks BEAST! im doing it to my sonata this summer, i LOVE how u kept the original "T" ..awesome!!
i heard plasti dip will last until you peel it off, its very durable, it has to be if people are doing it to their whole cars.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all for the kind words!

Looks good with your darker color. How long did it take?
Thanks. The whole process took about four hours, allowing for 30 minute dry time on the wheels between coats, and ten minute dry times for the grill and badges.

Looks great, need to do the front and rear bumper grey parts.
How hard was it to remove the badges, did you remove the grille?
I will get to the lower fascias eventually. I didn't remove anything from the car other than the wheels (put the car up on four jackstands). I put a trash bag behind the grill to prevent spraying the intercooler and radiator.

holy donkey ballz! that's very nice! i did want the gun metal finished wheels but it didn't work out that way. as angelo is asking, how long will it stay on? any typical time periods?
I dont have any previous experience with PlastiDip, but my understanding is it will last as long as you want it to. This stuff is really durable. It might get harder to pull off as time passes by, but who knows? Even if I have to redo once a year at $25, I don't mind ^_^

·
Registered
335 Posts
AWESOME. I've been having debates in my head about doing the front grille and leaving the "H" untouched. After seeing how it flows and kind of matches that lower matte finish black area, I Think I'm going to go for it. Thanks for the great pictures!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh Yeah! :D

I gotta say that color combo of your SFS and the plasti-dipped badges/grill is wicked cool! :banana:

Please elaborate on the process for us if you would. I haven't worked with this product before and now I think I need too. Thanks, Buddy. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
AWESOME. I've been having debates in my head about doing the front grille and leaving the "H" untouched. After seeing how it flows and kind of matches that lower matte finish black area, I Think I'm going to go for it. Thanks for the great pictures!

Glad I could help you make a decision. Be sure to share your finished product with us!

Oh Yeah! :D

I gotta say that color combo of your SFS and the plasti-dipped badges/grill is wicked cool! :banana:

Please elaborate on the process for us if you would. I haven't worked with this product before and now I think I need too. Thanks, Buddy. :)

The process was quite simple. I picked up my product here:
https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.php?productid=11&cat=21&page=1

Wheels:

1) Slightly break loose all of your lug nuts. (otherwise it will be much harder to do once you jack the vehicle up)

2) Get your jackstands and lay them out by each wheel. Jack up the vehicle and place your jackstands under the frame. Proceed to remove all of your lugnuts and remove each tire, putting your lugnuts to the side.

3) Being that our vehicles are all still relatively new and of low mileage, the cleaning process should be a breeze. Use a good cleaner and make sure you have a nice and clean, dry surface to work with. Do not let the wheels sun dry and warm up.

4) Next, you'll want to lay out a cloth sheet or large piece of plastic on the ground to put underneath the wheel. I did one wheel at a time, so I didn't need anything massive.

5) Now comes the application part. Since you can simply peel off any excess product, I didn't even bother to tape off the wheels. You'll just be wasting your time and materials in doing so.

6) Make sure your first coat is LIGHT, and when I mean light, I mean more than just a dusting, but not a full blown coat. The reason in doing so is you need to give the 2nd, 3rd, and so on coats, a good base to stick to. Make sure this, and every coat, is EVENLY applied. Do not layer it on. Again, don't worry about overshooting onto the tire, it will peel off like a breeze when you're done applying all of your coats.

7) I painted the wheels in the driveway so I would have ample lighting to make sure I applied an even coat. Make sure to hit the wheel in opposite directions and straight on so you get every angle. I would paint a wheel, and then carry it into the garage so it would be out of the sun and let it dry. I gave each coat 30 minutes. By the time you're done doing all four wheels, 30 minutes will have passed, and you will be ready to apply your next coat to wheel #1. So it's a constant, steady process. I called it good with about 4-5 coats.

Grill:

1) Use a good cleaning solution and be sure it is clean of any bugs and other foreign objects. For the front, I masked off the bumper with 3M tape and the packaging material that came in the box with the PlastiDip. I layed a sheet over the hood and again used packaging material for the front most portion of it.

2) Get a trash bag, and cut the two long seamed edges, to open it up larger. I fed this through the grill and opened it up enough to cover the intercooler and radiator. Don't bother trying to remove the 10 or so screws/pins on the radiator cover, you'll waste your time like I did and end up not even being able to remove it (good job Hyundai :confused: )

3) Take your time taping off areas around the grill.

4) Remember, do a light first coat. Proceed with more coats (I ended up doing about seven coats)

Badges:

1) Clean them well with a good cleaning solution.

2) Tape off around the badges (you can reuse the packaging material that you used on the front if you're careful, if not, some more trash bags will be fine here. I gave about 1" around the badges.

3) DO NOT worry about taping in between all of the letters. PlastiDip will do it's PlastiDip thing when it comes time to removing the overspray that fills in between the letters.

4) Do your nice, light first coat. Proceed with further coats, I think I did five.

5) Let your final coat sit for 30 minutes, then SLOWLY peel away the excess. I used a toothpick to help get the lifting started, especially inside the center Hyundai logo. Oh, did I mention to peel SLOWLY? ^_^

Take your time. It's a fun process, and the transformation is awesome to watch. Hopefully this helps those who are willing to tackle this fun project! And don't forget...if you end up not liking it....than you can simply peel it off!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This type of thread has been on almost every other car forum I have ever been a member on, and has ended up serving a great purpose for the community. It's sole purpose is to be an informative thread for members to post what modifications, whether it be performance or aesthetic based, that they have done to their car for others to either gawk over, or maybe even do themselves someday.

So if you've done some sort of modification or enhancement to your car, be sure to share it with the community! If you feel like it would be beneficial to others, feel free to provide a write up showing and or/telling how you completed it ^_^ We are all unique and creative, so share your ideas!

Over the weekend, I applied Plasti-Dip to my wheels, grill, and emblems. Here are some pictures, and a basic write up beneath them on how I did it.

Left the T blue!

The process was quite simple. I picked up my product here:
https://www.dipyourcar.com/product.php?productid=11&cat=21&page=1

Wheels:

1) Slightly break loose all of your lug nuts. (otherwise it will be much harder to do once you jack the vehicle up)

2) Get your jackstands and lay them out by each wheel. Jack up the vehicle and place your jackstands under the frame. Proceed to remove all of your lugnuts and remove each tire, putting your lugnuts to the side.

3) Being that our vehicles are all still relatively new and of low mileage, the cleaning process should be a breeze. Use a good cleaner and make sure you have a nice and clean, dry surface to work with. Do not let the wheels sun dry and warm up.

4) Next, you'll want to lay out a cloth sheet or large piece of plastic on the ground to put underneath the wheel. I did one wheel at a time, so I didn't need anything massive.

5) Now comes the application part. Since you can simply peel off any excess product, I didn't even bother to tape off the wheels. You'll just be wasting your time and materials in doing so.

6) Make sure your first coat is LIGHT, and when I mean light, I mean more than just a dusting, but not a full blown coat. The reason in doing so is you need to give the 2nd, 3rd, and so on coats, a good base to stick to. Make sure this, and every coat, is EVENLY applied. Do not layer it on. Again, don't worry about overshooting onto the tire, it will peel off like a breeze when you're done applying all of your coats.

7) I painted the wheels in the driveway so I would have ample lighting to make sure I applied an even coat. Make sure to hit the wheel in opposite directions and straight on so you get every angle. I would paint a wheel, and then carry it into the garage so it would be out of the sun and let it dry. I gave each coat 30 minutes. By the time you're done doing all four wheels, 30 minutes will have passed, and you will be ready to apply your next coat to wheel #1. So it's a constant, steady process. I called it good with about 4-5 coats.

Grill:

1) Use a good cleaning solution and be sure it is clean of any bugs and other foreign objects. For the front, I masked off the bumper with 3M tape and the packaging material that came in the box with the PlastiDip. I layed a sheet over the hood and again used packaging material for the front most portion of it.

2) Get a trash bag, and cut the two long seamed edges, to open it up larger. I fed this through the grill and opened it up enough to cover the intercooler and radiator. Don't bother trying to remove the 10 or so screws/pins on the radiator cover, you'll waste your time like I did and end up not even being able to remove it (good job Hyundai :confused: )

3) Take your time taping off areas around the grill.

4) Remember, do a light first coat. Proceed with more coats (I ended up doing about seven coats)

Badges:

1) Clean them well with a good cleaning solution.

2) Tape off around the badges (you can reuse the packaging material that you used on the front if you're careful, if not, some more trash bags will be fine here. I gave about 1" around the badges.

3) DO NOT worry about taping in between all of the letters. PlastiDip will do it's PlastiDip thing when it comes time to removing the overspray that fills in between the letters.

4) Do your nice, light first coat. Proceed with further coats, I think I did five.

5) Let your final coat sit for 30 minutes, then SLOWLY peel away the excess. I used a toothpick to help get the lifting started, especially inside the center Hyundai logo. Oh, did I mention to peel SLOWLY? ^_^

Take your time. It's a fun process, and the transformation is awesome to watch. Hopefully this helps those who are willing to tackle this fun project! And don't forget...if you end up not liking it....than you can simply peel it off!!! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 218 Posts