Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 956 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I filled up my car after letting it run down to where the miles left showed - - -. At 39 miles left the Nav system came up and asked me if I wanted to find a gas station and showed the closest ones. (Nice feature) and I continued to drive because I wanted to get to a certain mileage mark. At about 30 miles left the display changed to miles left - - -, which I don't particularly car for but I understand they want to prompt you to stop and get gas so you don't run out and they try to provide a margin of error. (our old Lexus we could drive down to zero and still have range). So I drove another 15 miles before stopping to get gas. I assume I had somewher around 15-20 miles of range left.

I stop and fill up at a station that is 100% gasoline, no ethanol. To my surprise the pump clicks off at 14.5 gallons. I squeeze the handle again and get to 14.63 before it shuts off again. I can hear fuel and I don't want to slosh it out so I stop filling at this point. When I start the car it shows the gas gauge as full but of course has no MPG rating yet. As we drive that climbs up to around 30 because we immediately got on the highway and I was doing between 65 and 70 keeping an even speed on cruise. Also my surprise it says my range is 315 miles, yet my avg mpg is showing up as 30 on the meter on the dash. That would mean I'd have just over a 10 gallon gas tank, something isn't right with that figure.

Ok, so granted someone's meter math who designed the electronics for the Santa Fe isn't as good as it could be (adjusting on the fly for current mpg and remaining volume to calculate range), I'm still baffled by the amount of fuel I could put into the tank. I was basically 3 gallons short of full, and at even 21mpg (city rating for FWD 2.0T) that would be another 60+ miles I could have driven so why the early warnings, inaccurate miles left reading and --- getting near the end?

One of the following has to be true:

1) The calculations and electronic display are VASTLY inaccurate

2) We don't have a 17.4 gallon tank, maybe 15.4 in which case the advertised range of this vehicle is significantly less than advertised.

Using this topic thread, let's keep track of how much fuel you are able to put into your santa fe sport at fill up. Please record how many miles you drove on that tank, what your miles remaining reading showed on the dash, and how much you put into the tank. Here's mine:

A] 287 miles (artificially low due to lots of idling to show car to people)
B] ---
C] 14.63 gallons

For those who don't know, I've attached the mpg ratings and fuel capacity for the different Santa Fe Sport versions as shown on Hyundai's website.

Something just isn't adding up with the mpg and capacity of the new Santa Fe and hopefully by gathering data we can figure out what it is. Given some simple math the range of my Santa Fe FWD 2.0T should be between (21*17.4= 365.4 miles and 31*17.4= 539.4 miles) If you just take the avg of 25mpg that would be a range of 25*17.4=435 miles.

If you assume you drive a car 1 gallon is left, it would be 25*16.4 = 410 miles. Why does my car say I have 315 miles left after a fill up? I wouldn't be happy with 25% less range than advertised!

(For a moment let's assume Hyundai made a mistake and the gas tank is really a 15.4 gallon tank, not 17.4, then assuming you drive until 1 gallon is left you'd fill up at around 14.4 gallons [close to where I filled up] in which case you'd have 14.4*25 as your "average" range or 360 miles which is still further than what I'm getting and what the display says... 14.4 x 21 = 302.4 miles, in essence pretty close to what the range says, so basically taking a smaller tank and the worst mpg rating is the only way I can get down to what the real world numbers seem to be, but I'm hoping to get more real world numbers from the rest of you.)

Can a Moderator / Admin make this a sticky topic thread?

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
The range change over a preiod of time. The car's computer learn how you drive and then based that on the RTE readout. Also the RTE reading is a little bit conservative as you can drive 30-40 miles after the RTE start to go blank ---- like that. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I don't have a 13 Sport but a 09 Santa Fe. We can typically safely drive another 90 miles after the gage goes to ---.
Hyundai calculated the miles remaining very conservatively. Also the range is based upon an average of the last two fill-ups, not the current fuel usage.
Ours also tends to underestimate the potential range. We needed three consecutive highway trips with ours to get a range over 400.

This is how our 09 works and may not be true on the new Sport. Hyundai does not want any lawsuits due to running out of fuel when the dash says 30 miles past ---.
In time some of you will test the excess miles past --- on your vehicles. Until this number is verified, drive with caution.

In my experience Hyundai's average miles per gallon dash display is also on the optimistic side. Mine typically shows 10% higher than the actual calculation method.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A] 287 miles (artificially low due to lots of idling to show car to people)
B] ---
C] 14.63 gallons

QUOTE]

Short trip yesterday...

A] 133.6 miles
B] ---
C] 4.865
D] ~27.5 MPG Calculated
E] 30.1 Dash ReadoutComputer
F] ECO ON
G] Highway 55mph max.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
One of the following has to be true:

1) The calculations and electronic display are VASTLY inaccurate

2) We don't have a 17.4 gallon tank, maybe 15.4 in which case the advertised range of this vehicle is significantly less than advertised.
How about 3 & 4?
3) The pump shuts off with room for 1-2 gallons more.

4) A combination of 1-3.

I'm curious what the answer is. Perhaps some brave soul could drive the car until empty, and then fill up. :D
John

·
Registered
101 Posts
Service dept told me this morning that I should expect 6 mpg difference than advertised. Wow! I'm not convinced thats a true statement. Has anyone else heard this before?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Service dept told me this morning that I should expect 6 mpg difference than advertised. Wow! I'm not convinced thats a true statement. Has anyone else heard this before?
If it is, then that's a lawsuit waiting to happen as the % from advertised would be outside of reasonable expectations. I haven't heard this and so far I'm averaging better mpg on my 2nd tank of gas than my first but that's because I haven't been sitting idling showing people the car, etc. The range / capacity still isn't close to being right though... that's what's concerning me...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
General rule of thumb is you need somewhere around 5000 (five thousand) miles on a vehicle before the mpg starts to peak. I am assuming that no one has that on their SF yet?.....
Actually old wives tale based on old cars with carburetors and iron blocks... today's cars set up within a few hundred miles and are broken in and don't magically get better over time like some older cars would do (I say some because it was really only those that needed more time for rings to seat, seals to firm up, etc. back in the day of points and carb needles needing adjustment, etc.) this old wives tale keeps being pervasive even today despite the abundance of scientific evidence to the contrary...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I wouldn't recommend driving it until it runs out of gas. The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel and that would be an expensive proposition to replace. The range is obviously very conservative and I'd just use it as a general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A] 358.8 miles on previous tank
B] --- (even the last block on fuel gauge was blinking)
C] 15.66 gallons to refill tank

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn't recommend driving it until it runs out of gas. The fuel pump is lubricated by the fuel and that would be an expensive proposition to replace. The range is obviously very conservative and I'd just use it as a general rule of thumb.
Ummm gasoline is a solvent not a lubricant, running the fuel pump dry one time isn't going to hurt it. :) I fired off an inquiry to Hyundai today in email and we'll see what they come back with....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I doubt Hyundai designed their full pumps to blow should the owner accidentally run out of gas one time... and if it does, it's under warranty. :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I finally received a response from Hyundai regarding the horsepower rating on the 2.0 Turbo engine..... I had asked them if the 264 hp rating was based on 87 octane or a higher octane fuel.... following is their response. I hope this proves informative to those of you purchasing a new SF Turbo:

"We are bringing you an update to your case.

After conducting research, we found that the 264 hp rating was based upon the use of 87 octane fuel. We do not have data available regarding the impact of using higher octane fuel upon horsepower.

Your case number 4974940 may be referenced if we can be of further assistance in this matter.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Motor America. "

·
Registered
62 Posts
Fuel indication issue

So I finally took a service rep with me for a ride after we filled up the tank with him on board. After 9 miles 1st block came off top. Second block came off after 16 miles, and third block after 32. Now 3/4 tank indication. So we went to same gas station after 32 miles driven, not even .5 of a gallon before pump shutoff. I made him operate the fuel nozzle so as not show him I was doing it improperly. Then off to the service center. Based on that rate I would need gas at 125 miles. If it took only .5 at pump vehicle not getting 9 MPG, more like better than 30.

I am updating this thread for those that have the same issue. They ordered a new fuel meter, so we will see. BTW, they drove the same vehicle brand new for 32 miles (Same route) and it did not deplete at the same rate so it is only a few vehicles out there with this issue. There might be a TSB coming to a center near you. GL all.B)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I finally took a service rep with me for a ride after we filled up the tank with him on board. After 9 miles 1st block came off top. Second block came off after 16 miles, and third block after 32. Now 3/4 tank indication. So we went to same gas station after 32 miles driven, not even .5 of a gallon before pump shutoff. I made him operate the fuel nozzle so as not show him I was doing it improperly. Then off to the service center. Based on that rate I would need gas at 125 miles. If it took only .5 at pump vehicle not getting 9 MPG, more like better than 30.

I am updating this thread for those that have the same issue. They ordered a new fuel meter, so we will see. BTW, they drove the same vehicle brand new for 32 miles (Same route) and it did not deplete at the same rate so it is only a few vehicles out there with this issue. There might be a TSB coming to a center near you. GL all.B)
Good work as there is obviously a problem, please keep us informed as to any fix that is found.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok here is the latest from my most recent tank of gas:

a] 351 miles driven (This was 4 miles beyond the range indicated when 30 miles were left and the display went to ---, meaning I drove to what the car thought was -4 miles)

b] I had one brick left on indicator, didnt notice if it was blinking or not.
c] 15.423 gallons, Filled up until it clicked off, then put more in until it clicked again

d] Indicated gas mileage on car dash was 24.2 mpg
e] Actual calculated mpg was 22.75 mpg or 1.5mpg less than indicated
f] Speed indicated on car dash was 32mph avg
g] 322 miles - New Range shown immediately after fill up

So again, something doesn't seem right with the way the car is tracking gas mileage and range, and mileage is disappointing given that I really babied the car and drove what I considered a mix of city and highway driving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I actually found that when i stopped driving cautiously the mileage went up. Just went on an 800 mile road trip pretty much all highway and got 31.2mpg, sticker only claims 28 for the AWD

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually found that when i stopped driving cautiously the mileage went up. Just went on an 800 mile road trip pretty much all highway and got 31.2mpg, sticker only claims 28 for the AWD
Mileage is certainly better on the highway, but my driving is mixed between city and highway, once you start mixing in stop and go traffic the mileage plummets.

1 - 20 of 956 Posts