Hyundai Forums banner

101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Welcome
I noticed in the morning in the car with the windshield on the driver side has traces of cracks. :mad:No traces of falling rocks. So my question. whether I will claim the replacement under warranty
There already is a thread regarding this. And they were covered under warranties as the dealers could not find any location of a rock hitting it.

·
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome
I noticed in the morning in the car with the windshield on the driver side has traces of cracks. :mad:No traces of falling rocks. So my question. whether I will claim the replacement under warranty
Mine was replaced under warranty. It has happened, and it will happen again. No traces of impact whatsoever. Cracks were drivers side, coming up from the bottom.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
After Market Windshield

A couple yrs back I decided to get $250 deductible glass coverage on my SFS as posts on here reported windshield replacement costs $800 and up.

Today I had my heated windshield replaced at Safelite and the bill listed list cost of ws at $848, discounted to $ $297. So I went online and got another quote for the ws and it was $350 installed.

Looking at the ws it appears that it is an aftermarket replacement, but it has the humidity sensor and is heated so we'll see how it works out.

The total for parts & labor was $ 457, I paid $ 250 of that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Cracked windshield in 2014 Santa Fe

Hi,

Was wondering if anyone else has had troubles with a cracked windshield in their 2014 Santa Fe? Out of the blue one day I noticed a crack in mine which started at the bottom near the bottom right about eye level on the drivers side. There never seemed to be any signs of a "stonechip" nor did I ever hear a stone hit the windshield. I took it into my dealer where they took some photos and sent them off to head office. Oh course they needed more photos because they couldn't tell if it was a stone or just a flaw in the windshield. They didn't cover it, no surprise there and I had to get it replaced by paying my $300 deductible. This past weekend I ran into a fellow who has had 2 windshields replaced because of the same form of crack and in the exact place. The dealership covered it once and then he had to pay for it the second time. He also told me that another local person who also drives a 2014 that had the same problem. Coincidence or what?? Anyone else run into this?? Thanks in advance.

p.s. all three of these of these vehicles were bought at the same location not that this makes any difference.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
And the dealer didn't charge you anything for taking the photos ? Did he have film in the camera ? Or have they gone digital , if so more difficult to pass on a photo opportunity charge .

Given that it's a 2 yr old car I'm not surprised you didn't get a free replacement.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Cracks due to defects in the installation or the glass typically show up in one year as the glass is stressed by both heat and cold. Beyond one year there is typically some other cause.

That is an opinion :)

This is real life experience.....An impact other than a stone chip in the glass itself can lead to a crack. I had a prior vehicle that was hit by a snowball in the cowl panel/lower windshield edge area. The glass did not crack at that time but later that summer a crack developed from that very spot, so I am sire that there was damage done to the glass beneath the cowl. Now I happened to be in the car when it was hit. Had that not been the case I would never have known what precipitated the crack.

I live in northwestern PA so we see hard winters like yours as well as up to 100 degree heat, We have a sister Hyundai store and as far as I know we have not sen any issues.

·
Registered
289 Posts
My insurance paid for mine when a rock it. 0$ deductible, might wanna check with yours to see if this is covered

·
2,258 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Talking about search functions. I have tried to use the search functions on several forums with less than good results. Topics never found or off the wall results. Sometimes when you have a problem and desperate for information you don't want to jump through hoops to get someone to help you. In every forum someone complains that someone does not use search functions. If I could help someone I would provide a link to the information and not jump on them for not using search. Just as easy to provide the link as to jump on them. Not everyone is well versed on the forum and functions. I have used forums for years and still have problems with search results. Not to rant but sometimes you just need help.

·
2,258 Posts
Talking about search functions. I have tried to use the search functions on several forums with less than good results. Topics never found or off the wall results. Sometimes when you have a problem and desperate for information you don't want to jump through hoops to get someone to help you. In every forum someone complains that someone does not use search functions. If I could help someone I would provide a link to the information and not jump on them for not using search. Just as easy to provide the link as to jump on them. Not everyone is well versed on the forum and functions. I have used forums for years and still have problems with search results. Not to rant but sometimes you just need help.
help was offered, by way of posting the link the newly created thread was merged with, along with forum rules. i go to great lengths to make sure everything is as orderly and search-friendly as possible. i fully understand not everyone is well versed with forum etiquette; hence why i make sure to drive the point home. as of recent, there has been quit a bit of this going on. people dont understand that this requires moderators to stop what they are doing (during their own 9-5 job) and fix the errors. the top 3rd post is a sticky-thread regarding our forum rules; its even labeled with a red & white exclamation point. its hard to miss.

thank you for raising your concern, but this is getting exhausting as of late.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Small Crack in windshield

Was driving to work yesterday and head a ping and a few minutes later saw the cracked spot. Didn't see a rock fly up or anything. Weather was around 55 so no crazy fluctuations. Never had any experience with cracked glass on cars so just wondering what's the best way to proceed. Can't feel it on the outside, it's less than half the diameter of a dime and is almost a perfect circle. No splintering or single cracks coming up from seal points etc. About middle of the windshield almost all the way at the bottom. My assumption would be that if a rock or some other debris hit it the glass it would feel scratchy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have owned 5 Hyundais and they have the cheapest most fragile windshields I have seen on cars. Even my Crapeo (Chevy Aveo) was so much better. After a few years, you see the pitting starting, whereas my Crapeo after 9 years it was in pretty good shape.

In 2 months, I got my 2017 SFS windshield repaired twice, my wife's Accent once. My Aveo in 9 years, nothing, and trust me, I had large pieces hit the windshield multiple times. (I live in the province of Quebec and they have the shittiest roads here)

But I still love my Hyundais. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday morning after driving for about 15 minutes the front windshield began to fog slightly (it was a cold ~28 F snowy morning in Lexington, KY). I turned on the front defroster with the climate control temperature set to 72. As I am driving and approximately five minutes after turning on the front defroster I heard a barely audible "ting" and at the same time noticed a upside down crooked "L" of a crack in the windshield. It started at the bottom of the windshield and total length is about a foot. There was nothing impacting the windshield nor any jarring of the vehicle to account for the crack. The only thing I can think of to cause the crack was the temperature differential due to the warm defroster and cold exterior.
I have owned several vehicles in my life and have never encountered this issue before. I have had windshields damaged from thrown rocks / gravel and am familiar with the sound. The other thing I noticed with this windshield crack was the thinness in the depth of the crack. I do not know what the thickness measurement is of the 2013 Santa Fe, but having seen other windshield cracks on vehicles this one appears to be half the thickness of the others I have seen.
I called the dealership and since it was Saturday they asked me to call back on Monday morning to talk to the service manager. I plan on pursuing this because I firmly believe this is a quality issue. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
I have a 2016 Santa Fe. I left my windshield defroster running while I went into the store. Cold day 19F and lightly sleeting (Tennessee). When I returned to my vehicle, there was a 2.5' crack in the windshield just above the dash as to where the defroster vents are. Safelite wants $500.00 (deductible) if I file through my insurance. $299.99 if I want to self-pay. Ridiculous!!! Calling my dealership on Tuesday...

101 - 114 of 114 Posts