Hyundai Forums banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
My windshield is also cracked but it originated from a stone bruise at about the middle bottom. It is now running across the passenger side towards a much bigger spider at the bottom of the passenger side A pillar.

The stone bruise was from a tractor trailer and the spider came from a Police car. :eek:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine cracked 2 days ago in exactly the same manner and spot. They clearly have a problem with this windshield. This will be my third in just under a year! I really hope they get around to designing a stronger unit. Grrrrr!:mad::mad::mad:

To start I have the 2013 2.0T AWD with Pano. Bought last March. It has the de-icer.

Had this happen to me over the holiday. I live in Milton. I use the Guelph Hyundai for service because it is 5 minutes from work. Anyway, was sitting in the car for about 5 minutes on the morning of the 30th, waiting for it warm up a bit. I heard a pronounced ping noise. I immediately thought it was the Pano Sun roof. Opened the shade but did not see anything got out checked the top as best as i could. Then by that point wife and kids were in the car and I forgot to check the windshield.

Next day almost same situation, sitting in the car, looked up and this time I see a crack has formed on the lower driver side in an L shape heading towards the passenger side. Got out and checked the windshield there was a small area where you could see where the crack originated. The crack spread down and up from there. Sorry do not have a pic of that exact spot. Was cold and area was dirty. I did not spot it right away as it is directly in the black area of the windshield where the de-icer is.

Took it to dealer on Thursday Jan 2nd. Went in and started to explain what happened and the guy stopped me before I could finish and asked what model I had. He asked if it was the AWD turbo, model below the Limited. I said yes. He then called his manager. I asked if this was a known issue. He told that they have had a few come in with this problem. He took pictures of the windshield as well as my odometer. He informed me that he would have to call Hyundai and obtain a claim. I did not ask more questions as I was on my way to work and did not have much time. He called me about and hour later and said that it would be covered. He said they would get the new glass on wednesday this week and then scheduled as appointment for me to bring it in on friday.

I will try and find out any other info while I'm there on friday and report back. Im just happy they are going to cover it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Poor Windshields

Yesterday morning after driving for about 15 minutes the front windshield began to fog slightly (it was a cold ~28 F snowy morning in Lexington, KY). I turned on the front defroster with the climate control temperature set to 72. As I am driving and approximately five minutes after turning on the front defroster I heard a barely audible "ting" and at the same time noticed a upside down crooked "L" of a crack in the windshield. It started at the bottom of the windshield and total length is about a foot. There was nothing impacting the windshield nor any jarring of the vehicle to account for the crack. The only thing I can think of to cause the crack was the temperature differential due to the warm defroster and cold exterior.
I have owned several vehicles in my life and have never encountered this issue before. I have had windshields damaged from thrown rocks / gravel and am familiar with the sound. The other thing I noticed with this windshield crack was the thinness in the depth of the crack. I do not know what the thickness measurement is of the 2013 Santa Fe, but having seen other windshield cracks on vehicles this one appears to be half the thickness of the others I have seen.
I called the dealership and since it was Saturday they asked me to call back on Monday morning to talk to the service manager. I plan on pursuing this because I firmly believe this is a quality issue. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
This has happened to me twice in a little over a year. There was no damage to the windshield in either case and in the exact same spot each time. I forced the dealer to replace it the first time and am about to go in again for this problem. What was your outcome?

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0t limited
249 Posts
Yesterday morning after driving for about 15 minutes the front windshield began to fog slightly (it was a cold ~28 F snowy morning in Lexington, KY). I turned on the front defroster with the climate control temperature set to 72. As I am driving and approximately five minutes after turning on the front defroster I heard a barely audible "ting" and at the same time noticed a upside down crooked "L" of a crack in the windshield. It started at the bottom of the windshield and total length is about a foot. There was nothing impacting the windshield nor any jarring of the vehicle to account for the crack. The only thing I can think of to cause the crack was the temperature differential due to the warm defroster and cold exterior.
I have owned several vehicles in my life and have never encountered this issue before. I have had windshields damaged from thrown rocks / gravel and am familiar with the sound. The other thing I noticed with this windshield crack was the thinness in the depth of the crack. I do not know what the thickness measurement is of the 2013 Santa Fe, but having seen other windshield cracks on vehicles this one appears to be half the thickness of the others I have seen.
I called the dealership and since it was Saturday they asked me to call back on Monday morning to talk to the service manager. I plan on pursuing this because I firmly believe this is a quality issue. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Had the same problem last week. Crack in the windshield with no impact, L-shaped starting from the bottom left under the plastic cowl, about 1 foot lenght.

Happened with the car PARKED and not moving. I started the car and let it run for 30 min to heat it and remove all the icy rain on the morning. When I took the car in the afternoon after, the crack was there... And then by going to the dealer, the crack expanded at the very first bump tower exactly the same place on the right, going 2-3inch over the wiper..

Dealer did some search for a impact, but didnt find one so it was replaced under warranty...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another cracked windshield

I've had my Santa Fe since late July and have had two cracked windshields already...plus one in our Tucson right before we traded it in. We drive primarily on city streets and neither time could find an obvious chip in the windshield. First replacement was covered by a 3rd party window repair and now we get to see what this one might cost.

We've noticed that this vehicle is extremely bad at getting frost on the inside of all the windows. Have seen threads about how frost can form but our habits are no different in this vehicle yet previous ones didn't have this problem. I wonder if the frost and windshield are related.

Was a happy Hyundai customer but really can't imagine buying another one again after this.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi ,

Another broken window but not the windshield .Last night when going over a rough street here in Montreal , my trunk window shattered in small pieces.
I went to my dealer and they will change it under warranty. They give me an Elantra for 2-3 days up to they get the window and replace it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
So, my issue is not with a stone chip or a crack, but does anyone else think these windows are very soft?

Here's what I've noticed on mine:

3 scratches on my drivers side window - on the outside. They are arranged in a fashion where it seems there was something (dust/rock?) stuck in the velvety portion, and it scratched the window as it went up/down.

The Windshield has the same sort of thing - a scratch following the pattern of the wiper.

I've been driving for 20 years and have never seen this once, let alone twice.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
132 Posts
So, my issue is not with a stone chip or a crack, but does anyone else think these windows are very soft?

Here's what I've noticed on mine:

3 scratches on my drivers side window - on the outside. They are arranged in a fashion where it seems there was something (dust/rock?) stuck in the velvety portion, and it scratched the window as it went up/down.

The Windshield has the same sort of thing - a scratch following the pattern of the wiper.

I've been driving for 20 years and have never seen this once, let alone twice.

Thoughts?
Yes ERN23 I have notice this also. Both my driver and passenger side windows have a scratches as you described. Did Hyundai use cheap azz glass???

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Windshield replacement cost

Needing a new windshield I went to Safelite web site and got the following non insurance costs :

$ 465 - solar
$439 - solar & heated
$ 649 - solar, heated & condensation sensor

I have heated & condensation sensor windshield, but with $500 deductible.

I'm assuming after market glass may now be available, so I will call a local installer I've used in the past for cheaper rates and also look at the condensation sensor to see how that is mounted - if it involves a special mount or is just glued on.

Anyone replace a windshield lately and see these kinds of prices ? I'll verify the glass mfg before making any decisions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Add my 2013 Santa Fe Sport to list. Mine was due to a flying rock from highway and happened back in the Spring. Insurance replaced @ no cost to me.

·
Registered
120 Posts
And now add me to the list of cracked windshields.

I drove a lot Wednesday and saw nothing. Road-salt certainly, but nothing major.

Thursday my wife came in and said our windshield was cracked. Lower drivers side, right where everyone elses issues are.

I've gotten 2 quotes, both under 450 CAD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealer - they are going to look at it, and believe it will be covered under warranty (50k KM), as it is l ikely a fault of the heating element! Will post update when I know!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I, too, have a small star in the center of my windshield. The glass seems thinner, somehow, than previous vehicles, including my 2011 Genesis 3.8T.

Edit: The crack is in the lower center of the windshield.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I was cleaning my windshield a few months ago and noticed a spot I could not clean... I passed my finger on it and I realized it's a scratch...
It is not big enough to notice while driving and it is not getting bigger since I saw it the first time .
I wonder if I should do something about it or just leave it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I, too, have a small star in the center of my windshield. The glass seems thinner, somehow, than previous vehicles, including my 2011 Genesis 3.8T.

Edit: The crack is in the lower center of the windshield.
that is most likely from a rock
The issue's others are talking about is from flex in the vehicle which is causing the weakest point to give. And that's the windshield

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just got my appointment booked with the dealer. They confirmed my crack is directly as a result of the heater element and will be covered under warranty!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just got my appointment booked with the dealer. They confirmed my crack is directly as a result of the heater element and will be covered under warranty!
Lucky you, just had mine replaced was $1100. Dealer paid half, corporate the other half. I had a mark on the passenger side from the wiper blade, was there when I bought the vehicle, but we didn't notice it because it was so fine. I called corporate, we had 1100 miles already on it, and after explaining the situation, they came up with the aforementioned solution. Obviously, we are happy about it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
windshield

Welcome
I noticed in the morning in the car with the windshield on the driver side has traces of cracks. :mad:No traces of falling rocks. So my question. whether I will claim the replacement under warranty

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Welcome
I noticed in the morning in the car with the windshield on the driver side has traces of cracks. :mad:No traces of falling rocks. So my question. whether I will claim the replacement under warranty
You'll probably have trouble getting it covered under warranty, but i guess it's worth a try. I've had two windshields replaced, rock damage paid for by insurance. Good luck and if you get hyundai to pay, report back. Cheers.

81 - 100 of 114 Posts