Hyundai Forums banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
2,258 Posts
PS: you dont have to use Safelite. you can call around to the countless windshield repair places, and haggle the prices. almost all (aside from safelite) will negotiate.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So the fact that the windshield had not cracked for 2 weeks solid given daily driving and a variety of temps from the 60's to single digits doesn't mean anything? You can absolutely guarantee that the windshield would have cracked at some point? When? Next week? Next month? Next year? The day after I trade it in?

You "may" be right that at some FUTURE point the windshield would have cracked, but you have NO WAY of knowing how far in the future that might be, and given that it held up just fine for 2 weeks across multiple temps and weather conditions I'd vote for it cracking LATER as opposed to sooner. In which case I may not have even owned the car anymore, or the car might have been in an accident and the windshield damaged/replaced under insurance in an accident as opposed to out of my pocket.

My issue is that the guy from safelite took away the natural course of things and caused the windshield to crack with his faulty repair attempt. Only after the fact did someone say "Oh well in cold weather these have a high likelihood of cracking when we try to repair them". If they had simply said that up front, I would have taken my chances as to the natural course of when the windshield would potentially crack on its own. At a minimum I would have said "Ok fine take it to your heated shop and do the work under conditions where the likelihood of cracking is far less" or something similar. Again, safelite took away that option by failing to inform that this was a likely outcome.

·
2,258 Posts
So the fact that the windshield had not cracked for 2 weeks solid given daily driving and a variety of temps from the 60's to single digits doesn't mean anything? You can absolutely guarantee that the windshield would have cracked at some point? When? Next week? Next month? Next year? The day after I trade it in?
easy bud, remember i am not the one who cracked your window.
its safe to say within the month (or the next), it would have started to grow exponentially since its right next to the pillar; due to the car being a unibody; and unibody's flex a lot.
enough bumps, enough heat cycles, enough unibody flexing = and it would have grown. i have NEVER seen a windshield that didnt have a crack grow fairly quickly in size.

You "may" be right that at some FUTURE point the windshield would have cracked, but you have NO WAY of knowing how far in the future that might be, and given that it held up just fine for 2 weeks across multiple temps and weather conditions I'd vote for it cracking LATER as opposed to sooner. In which case I may not have even owned the car anymore, or the car might have been in an accident and the windshield damaged/replaced under insurance in an accident as opposed to out of my pocket.
if you are planning on keeping your car for only 2-3 more months, then you have a point. but if the car would have been in your possession for another 6 months; safe to say you would have been in this exact spot anyway.

My issue is that the guy from safelite took away the natural course of things and caused the windshield to crack with his faulty repair attempt.
again, that's the risk everyone took. you took it by asking someone to touch your car. he took it by touching damaged goods. and i am more than sure you 'signed off' on it when you authorized him to touch your car. here its is, right from safelite's website:
"Can you guarantee that a chip or crack that can be repaired will not become larger during the repair process?" No. In some cases, through no fault of the repair technician, the attempt to repair a windshield can result in the chip or crack becoming larger. However, we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further and that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection, or we will credit the cost of the repair toward a replacement.
In the very rare event that this occurs, we will credit the cost of the repair either toward a new windshield or, in the event of insurance work, back to the insurance company. Read our windshield repair limited warranty for more details."

i will say this much; repairing a crack or chip is actually stressful for the windshield itself. there is a lot of pressure on the windshield back & forth. from the suction part, to the downward pressure part. its a gamble whether or not the repairs actually "stick".

·
Registered
423 Posts
However, we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further and that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection...

How can they guarantee it will not crack further when in fact it cracked further during the repair and then within 12 hours cracked a whole bunch more? So I'm just an unusual case where it happens to crack more even though they guarantee it won't, so in such a case they'll just write off the repair attempt? Ummm hello you just cracked my windshield requiring a $500 (10x) repair cost. No I'm sorry, crediting $50 isn't good enough, at a minimum they should eat at least 50% of the cost of the new windshield. Otherwise if you don't have confidence that your "guarantee" is true then don't touch my windshield. And if this instance is so rare, then eating the cost of replacing my windshield should be a rare occurrence for them and one they should budget for...

·
2,258 Posts
However, we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further and that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection...

How can they guarantee it will not crack further when in fact it cracked further during the repair and then within 12 hours cracked a whole bunch more?
read carefully: "we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further"

your repair was NOT successful. you simply found that out, 12 hours later; hence why they are refunding you your money.

So I'm just an unusual case where it happens to crack more even though they guarantee it won't
they only guarantee it to not crack more IF the repair is SUCCESSFUL. which yours clearly is not successful. that is why you are being refunded.

Ummm hello you just cracked my windshield requiring a $500 (10x) repair cost.
yes the repair attempt, innocently caused the initial crack to grow, and that's a risk YOU ACCEPTED. see this line in the details: "In some cases, through no fault of the repair technician, the attempt to repair a windshield can result in the chip or crack becoming larger."

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Three months ago I had my windshield repaired by Safelite Auto Glass. It was covered by insurance. I was not happy with the repair as I could still see the spot. I called and complained. They came back and replaced the windshield. At that point I had to pay a $50.00 deductible. The rest was covered by insurance.

Check with your insurance company. They may cover most of a new windshield. Also, the glass company will apply the original repair cost toward the new windshield.

Unfortunately, there is probably nothing else that they will do about the crack becoming larger.

·
2,258 Posts
call a couple local junk yards. they usually have contracts/agreement with smaller windshield companies that do the new installs for them on site.

my local yard charges $100 - $350 for most average-car installs. if you have any special coatings or heating elements obviously the prices rice quickly.

·
Registered
423 Posts
read carefully: "we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further"

your repair was NOT successful. you simply found that out, 12 hours later; hence why they are refunding you your money.

they only guarantee it to not crack more IF the repair is SUCCESSFUL. which yours clearly is not successful. that is why you are being refunded.

yes the repair attempt, innocently caused the initial crack to grow, and that's a risk YOU ACCEPTED. see this line in the details: "In some cases, through no fault of the repair technician, the attempt to repair a windshield can result in the chip or crack becoming larger."
Why do you assume that this is a case of the repair technician not being at fault? How do we know he didn't attempt the repair incorrectly? Apply too much force? Incorrect mixture of fluids used to repair? How long has this technician been doing these repairs? What is his fault rate? Surely you don't mean to suggest that the technician NEVER makes a mistake? :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
A little history first. Almost a year ago I got a rock chip in the center of my windshield just below where the rear view mirror is located. My insurance company said that they had a special deal with Safe Light auto glass and that they could come out and repair it to prevent the windshield from cracking further. So I had this done and the repair has been fine ever since.

Fast Forward to about 2 weeks ago my windshield got another rock chip, this time on the passenger side about 4-5 inches in from the A-pillar. Only a tiny crack existed, maybe 6-8mm in length. I drove the car for two weeks this way and the crack didn't get worse, but with the proximity to the A-pillar I was worried about it eventually spreading to the side, which if that happens means you need a new windshield. So I called my insurance company and again, same thing, Safelite can come out and repair it for only $50 so my insurance company get me and safelite on the phone and we schedule the appointment for yesterday. The guy comes out looks at it and says he will repair it but that sometimes you see a little more crack after the repair. I told him I understood as the old chip was that way, but hadn't cracked anymore since the repair. So 30 minutes go by and he knocks on my garage door to the house (he is doing repair in my garage, car is always garaged) and I come out and look at it, and now there is a crack about 1 to 1-1/2 inches long. He says not to worry that he's injected in the stuff that hardens up and prevents it from cracking further.

I do not drive the car, it sits in my garage overnight (temps 40-45 degrees in garage) and this morning I come out and the windshield now has a 16" crack in it, all the way to the A-pillar and several more inches towards the center of my windshield. I call safelite and they are willing to refund the $50 towards a new windshield making the total for a new windshield $530! I call my insurance company and they said that's what Safelite does.

Well I'm not happy because at no time did the repair guy say that attempting to repair it would make it worse because if he had said that my windshield could be ruined by trying to repair it, I NEVER would have agreed to the repair, I would have just waited to see if it went bad on its own, or continued to be fine as it had been after the 2 weeks.

Any thoughts on how to proceed?
Have you gone out to other glass companies for a quote for the replacement? I know from experience that safelite are expensive compared with their competitors.
As an example I got a replacement windscreen for my 2007 for $270

·
2,258 Posts
Why do you assume that this is a case of the repair technician not being at fault? How do we know he didn't attempt the repair incorrectly?
could the person mess up? ABSOLUTELY.
will safelite ever admit this? NEVER.

they covered their '6' when they wrote the clause that you agreed too.

Apply too much force?
no one will ever know.
Incorrect mixture of fluids used to repair?
we'll never know. not even his company can tell.
How long has this technician been doing these repairs?
you'll never know this answer. and frankly, would you want your boss handing that information out, if and when you mess up at work? doubt it.
What is his fault rate?
again, its none of our business - and we will never know. if he was a problem, he wouldn't be employed by this company; don't you think? you want to know too much about this person.
you seem to have this preconceived that he for sure did something wrong. you need to remove that idea from your mind. its an enlarged crack on your windshield, that you were forewarned about - not a new scratch on your car from his belt buckle.

i understand you are frustrated and pissed to be having to cough up the $500 for a windshield, but its not fair for you to be trying to place all the blame on the repairman, versus simply accepting that this is a byproduct of repair attempts.
was safelite shoving this legal information in your face? NO. and its not their job to act like your personal "legal counsel" / "best friend who's a mechanic" to all of their clients. its your job to read the fine print prior to agreeing to any services performed.

if every company/service shoved all of the 'hidden dangers' into every clients face = none of us would be driving, drinking milk, eating fast food, drinking coffee, taking Rx, using headphones, etc etc etc etc. most businesses wouldn't exist if they were obligated to tell you face-to-face every warning and possible scenario.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree with ImStricken.

The repair was made with no guarantee of success or failure. Glass is very unpredictable. As long as the technician was not negligent he is not liable.

Does your insurance company offer glass coverage? I opted for that coverage on my newer vehicles since front windshields contain heating coils, antenna's, etc.

·
Banned
532 Posts
:puzzled:

I'm always amazed about the keen grasp of knowledge and foresight some people have on all aspect's of any part, on any vehicle or vehicle type along with the comprehension of contractual, structural and state specific rights regarding any type warranty, remedy, liability or arbitrage on or for any new, used, OEM or repaired vehicle part.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
From the OP: "The guy comes out looks at it and says he will repair it but that sometimes you see a little more crack after the repair. I told him I understood as the old chip was that way, but hadn't cracked anymore since the repair. So 30 minutes go by and he knocks on my garage door to the house (he is doing repair in my garage, car is always garaged) and I come out and look at it, and now there is a crack about 1 to 1-1/2 inches long. He says not to worry that he's injected in the stuff that hardens up and prevents it from cracking further."

This leads me to believe the Safelite guy felt he had made a successful repair, and that the following applies.

From Safelite: "However, we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further and that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection, or we will credit the cost of the repair toward a replacement."

IMO, Safelite's warranty is a statement of accepting responsibility for the damage after a "successful repair". But, their compensation is not "making you whole", and therefore not legally binding. IMO, Safelite needs to repair or replace the windshield, so it passes inspection like it was suppose to after the "successful repair", and at no additional cost to you.

I would politely tell Safelite (in writing and copying the insurance company) that they need to "make me whole" after their admitted damage, at no cost to me, or I will have another company do that and sue them in small claims court for damages plus court fees.

In MA small claims court, the plaintiff can write a demand letter which demands compensation for the defendants actions. If the defendant doesn't comply within a specific timeframe, and you proceed with court action, and the court finds the defendant at fault, the court can award the plaintiff triple damages. If Safelite were to deny my request for repair or replacement at no additional cost to me, I would immediately have the work done elsewhere. Then write the demand letter seeking reimbursement for the work. If Safelite didn't comply within the allotted time frame, I would then file a claim in small claims court.

As photecs says: "on the paperwork you signed, look on the back of that paper, or along the bottom - that's where the legal mumbo jumbo usually is." I agree. This should be your first step. This may give you other options.

Generally speaking, IMO, companies can't "legally" void themselves of liability, but state that to discourage/intimidate you. Just like you can't post a sign on your property stating anyone coming on your property, and by doing so, agrees not to hold you responsible for any harm that comes to them. Well, you could do that, but it wouldn't hold up in court.

Good luck.
John

·
Registered
726 Posts
check your insurance. I know Florida has free windshield replacement as part of standard full coverage. your state may have the same.

·
Registered
418 Posts
From the OP: "The guy comes out looks at it and says he will repair it but that sometimes you see a little more crack after the repair. I told him I understood as the old chip was that way, but hadn't cracked anymore since the repair. So 30 minutes go by and he knocks on my garage door to the house (he is doing repair in my garage, car is always garaged) and I come out and look at it, and now there is a crack about 1 to 1-1/2 inches long. He says not to worry that he's injected in the stuff that hardens up and prevents it from cracking further."

This leads me to believe the Safelite guy felt he had made a successful repair, and that the following applies.

From Safelite: "However, we can guarantee that upon completion of a successful repair, the chip or crack will not crack further and that the repair will pass any state vehicle inspection, or we will credit the cost of the repair toward a replacement."

IMO, Safelite's warranty is a statement of accepting responsibility for the damage after a "successful repair". But, their compensation is not "making you whole", and therefore not legally binding. IMO, Safelite needs to repair or replace the windshield, so it passes inspection like it was suppose to after the "successful repair", and at no additional cost to you.

I would politely tell Safelite (in writing and copying the insurance company) that they need to "make me whole" after their admitted damage, at no cost to me, or I will have another company do that and sue them in small claims court for damages plus court fees.

In MA small claims court, the plaintiff can write a demand letter which demands compensation for the defendants actions. If the defendant doesn't comply within a specific timeframe, and you proceed with court action, and the court finds the defendant at fault, the court can award the plaintiff triple damages. If Safelite were to deny my request for repair or replacement at no additional cost to me, I would immediately have the work done elsewhere. Then write the demand letter seeking reimbursement for the work. If Safelite didn't comply within the allotted time frame, I would then file a claim in small claims court.

As photecs says: "on the paperwork you signed, look on the back of that paper, or along the bottom - that's where the legal mumbo jumbo usually is." I agree. This should be your first step. This may give you other options.

Generally speaking, IMO, companies can't "legally" void themselves of liability, but state that to discourage/intimidate you. Just like you can't post a sign on your property stating anyone coming on your property, and by doing so, agrees not to hold you responsible for any harm that comes to them. Well, you could do that, but it wouldn't hold up in court.

Good luck.
John
Just for grins, Safelite ought offer the OP a used windshield with one chip in it and install it for free--"made whole" not "betterment.":)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Free replacement...

check your insurance. I know Florida has free windshield replacement as part of standard full coverage. your state may have the same.
Bingo! This is what I have on my insurance. No deductable, nothing! Free! Check with your insurance carrier. If not, get a new insurance carrier.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Good luck.
John
John,
My thoughts exactly...

·
Registered
3 Posts
After reading alot of post there is a definite defect with these windshields. I will let you know how it goes at the dealer ship
To start I have the 2013 2.0T AWD with Pano. Bought last March. It has the de-icer.

Had this happen to me over the holiday. I live in Milton. I use the Guelph Hyundai for service because it is 5 minutes from work. Anyway, was sitting in the car for about 5 minutes on the morning of the 30th, waiting for it warm up a bit. I heard a pronounced ping noise. I immediately thought it was the Pano Sun roof. Opened the shade but did not see anything got out checked the top as best as i could. Then by that point wife and kids were in the car and I forgot to check the windshield.

Next day almost same situation, sitting in the car, looked up and this time I see a crack has formed on the lower driver side in an L shape heading towards the passenger side. Got out and checked the windshield there was a small area where you could see where the crack originated. The crack spread down and up from there. Sorry do not have a pic of that exact spot. Was cold and area was dirty. I did not spot it right away as it is directly in the black area of the windshield where the de-icer is.

Took it to dealer on Thursday Jan 2nd. Went in and started to explain what happened and the guy stopped me before I could finish and asked what model I had. He asked if it was the AWD turbo, model below the Limited. I said yes. He then called his manager. I asked if this was a known issue. He told that they have had a few come in with this problem. He took pictures of the windshield as well as my odometer. He informed me that he would have to call Hyundai and obtain a claim. I did not ask more questions as I was on my way to work and did not have much time. He called me about and hour later and said that it would be covered. He said they would get the new glass on wednesday this week and then scheduled as appointment for me to bring it in on friday.

I will try and find out any other info while I'm there on friday and report back. Im just happy they are going to cover it.

Here are a couple of pics of the crack. #1 is view on drivers side. #2 is showing how it spans across from driver to passenger side. #3 is close up and #4 is from outside.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow that's exactly the way mine cracked, my dealer replaced my windsheild under warranty no problem. I guess this is becoming more common. Glad to here you got yours done too

61 - 80 of 114 Posts