Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday i am doing an LED Light Bar install on the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, and figured we should have a thread dedicated just to the write-ups, pics, and possibly video's of the spots people use along the firewall to snake wires through.

(For those who dont know: the firewall is the metal wall between the cabin and the engine compartment. its positioned behind the dashboard. along that wall are numerous access holes used to connect the engine bay to the parts & accessories inside the cabin. often times manufacturers great holes with water proof grommets to help mechanics snake wires through for any additional accessories car owners may want: lights, entertainment systems, audio upgrades, etc.)

If anyone has nay pics, or advice regarding how you did any snaking of wires, please add that into this thread. this can save someone a lot of time and hassle in the future. thanks in advance!

NOTE: please dont discuss mods/accessories/upgrades in here. this is strictly a thread for those who need to know where/what when it comes to fishing a wire through the firewall. you can discuss whatever it is you are wiring in any respective threads(use the search function) or create a new thread.

keywords: fishing, wiring, snaking, firewall, grommet, hanger, power wire, cable, engine, bay, cab, footwell, dashboard, carpet, run,

·
Registered
544 Posts
I ran my subwoofer power lead through the rubber grommet behind the brake pedal. This large area is where the wire bundle from the dash runs through to the engine compartment. I used a sharpened brass rod to pierce a hole in the rubber shroud and it then self seals around the wire.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ran my subwoofer power lead through the rubber grommet behind the brake pedal. This large area is where the wire bundle from the dash runs through to the engine compartment. I used a sharpened brass rod to pierce a hole in the rubber shroud and it then self seals around the wire.
nice.
the brake pedal or its functions dont run through that hole, i am guessing? just the main wiring harness?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yes, the harness itself is about an inch thick yet the grommet is about 2 inches across. I did not run the wire next to the wiring harness just to prevent damage or electrical noise. You can pierce the rubber a quarter of an inch away from it and pull it through from the engine compartment. This area is also fairly close to the inside fuse box for easy tapping. I recommend sharpening a rod or screw driver to make the hole as the rubber is surprisingly tough to penetrate. I followed "Luck11"'s procedure that he used when he installed his Kicker Hideaway Sub.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the harness itself is about an inch thick yet the grommet is about 2 inches across. I did not run the wire next to the wiring harness just to prevent damage or electrical noise. You can pierce the rubber a quarter of an inch away from it and pull it through from the engine compartment. This area is also fairly close to the inside fuse box for easy tapping. I recommend sharpening a rod or screw driver to make the hole as the rubber is surprisingly tough to penetrate. I followed "Luck11"'s procedure that he used when he installed his Kicker Hideaway Sub.
very cool man. thanks for the tips. i never actually looked into the firewall on this car.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Thanks Turbo...

Yep...here's what I posted:

" Then, in driver foot well, there is a huge grommet with a bundle of wires that goes through firewall to the engine compartment. I poked a hole with a screwdriver type hole punch and fished the wire through. Because there are two layers of rubber about 1" apart for the grommet, fishing through is almost impossible using the wire alone, and I did not want to have an extra fishing wire that could further cut the hole or stretch it. So I stripped about 5" of the end of power wire and soldered it solid so it was nice and stiff...stiff enough to poke through the width of the grommet. Ran that up through engine compartment, in around the back of the fuse box, across the back of battery. Connected the wire to the provided fuse holder and then ran the other end of the fuse holder wire up into the shield box for the +ve terminal. Crimped the provided connector and attached to the bolt for +ve terminal. Used zip ties to keep wire in place at different points in engine compartment.

Tip: leave a small downwards drip loop in the power wire just where it exits the grommet in the engine compartment. this way, any water or moisture on the wire will run down and drip off the loop instead of running down the wire directly towards the grommet, which could lead to water penetration into the cabin.
"

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-lwb-7-seater-models/164418-diy-subwoofer-kicker-hideaway-install.html

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Tip: leave a small downwards drip loop in the power wire just where it exits the grommet in the engine compartment. this way, any water or moisture on the wire will run down and drip off the loop instead of running down the wire directly towards the grommet, which could lead to water penetration into the cabin.
"
i like the way you think; exactly like a good, professional, race-car mechanic. great tip, i shall keep it in the back of my mind.

i usually tape the end of the wire, to a straightened hanger and fish that way.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, that grommet is serious business. its VERY high quality compared to many other good brands of vehicles. talk about solid rubber!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have to do this myself to install a brake controller on my 2008 santa fe. hopefully the bundle of wires is in the same place. I have to run 2 jacketed duplex 10 AWG wires through, so I need a pretty big hole. Is a screwdriver enough to pierce through? do I need anything else to run the wires ? Once i've pierced it, will fish tape work?

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have to do this myself to install a brake controller on my 2008 santa fe. hopefully the bundle of wires is in the same place. I have to run 2 jacketed duplex 10 AWG wires through, so I need a pretty big hole. Is a screwdriver enough to pierce through? do I need anything else to run the wires ? Once i've pierced it, will fish tape work?
hanger:
tape a hanger to the tip of the wire. tape about 6" of the wire to the hanger, and use the hanger to put through the rubber grommet. start from inside the car, and work your way into the engine compartment.

rubber grommet / fishing:

there is a rubber, thick rubber, boot that encompasses a large loom of wire currently. the rubber might feel a little slippery & lubricated. its a pretty high quality rubber boots, and a screw driver alone probably wont suffice. you will need a razor blade to gently & carefully slice through maybe halfway. THEN you could stuck your lubricated wire through the hole your screw driver made.

tip:
once you have fished the wires through, use zip ties to secure the wire to "stuff". this will keep the wire from vibrating, and damaging the external jacket(insulation) of the wire - eventually exposing enough of the wire to short out.

this is very easily done in this car. i wish all cars were this easy, clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just checked my 08 model and i don't seem to have a large grommet of wires going through (at least on the drivers side). I guess they moved it.. :( I can't see anywhere I could get through the firewall.

·
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just checked my 08 model and i don't seem to have a large grommet of wires going through (at least on the drivers side). I guess they moved it.. :( I can't see anywhere I could get through the firewall.
this is the 2013+ forum man

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any pictures of their wires going through the grommet? I have a 2015 model, and not sure if this is the same grommet you are talking about, but I'd like to be sure before I tried anything. I've attached pictures of what I have inside and out.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts