Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took our new 2014 with 1500 mile to the dealer today due to excessive engine noise. The service manager, after I played back the horrendous loud noise on my iPhone, told me that they have had to replace 3 of the 2.4 engines with the same noise.

Service will contact corporate and advise of the problem. Can't believe that at 1500 miles the engine is shot to ****!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the have to replace the engine, what are my chances with Hyundai in get in a new car?? This one only has 1500 miles on it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really doubt that Hyundai would opt to give you a brand new Sante Fe just because the engine went bad. True, it's a major part of your vehicle, but is not all of it. The wear and tear you have already placed on it (granted, only 1500 miles) will be an argument against it. This is not unusual from any make/model throughout the auto market. Sometimes you receive a car that had defective components built into the engine/transmission/etc. It's a big disappointment, I understand, but not an unheard-of event. Most likely you will be receiving a new engine free of charge.

Look at it this way: 50 years ago, if your engine went kaput in your brand-new Ford/Chevy/etc....you would have to nearly threaten the dealer with a gun to his head before he would even START considering the thought of replacing it. lol

·
Registered
542 Posts
+1^^^ Skippy is exactly right in his 2nd paragraph. About 40yrs ago i was just a little kid but my uncle purchased a vehicle which ended up having all kinds of problems. My father, uncle and i went to the dealership because my uncle wanted his money back. We were in a small office with the owner of the dealership and him and my uncle were arguing over returning the vehicle. To make a long story short after 15 minutes of arguing my uncle slammed him up against the wall and put a knife to his neck! I was traumatized but he got his money back.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't some states have "the lemon law" that forces dealers to give refund or replace a car if the originally sold car turns out to be a lemon?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what I thought so too,guys. Just want to hear from others that MAYBE were lucky and got a new car.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have seen people complain so much and get one, we have done a handful of these motors and turbos. It is really up to you what you want to settle for. Putting these motors in is easy, but sometimes it's not the same. good luck.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SVT

That is my concern. Once you take the engine out and with a reinstall, you never you what could go wrong next.

·
Registered
126 Posts
While this sucks, you DO NOT qualify for a new car. Period. The lemon law only applies TO THE SAME ISSUE ENCOUNTERED THREE TIMES OVER A COURSE OF A GIVEN PERIOD OF TIME. If your exact same issue isn't fixed after three times, you can enact the lemon law. Consult your state's lemon laws, as they vary.

Now that we have that out of the way, you, Reus, should be extremely happy with Hyundai's response. You have thus far only identified one issue, a loud engine, with no apparent mechanical issue that has yet created a problem. Hyundai could have sent you on your way and await your return with a complete break-down. They didn't. They are already consulting corporate to get you a new engine BEFORE you have a real issue. That, in my mind AND my experience, is far above and beyond issues with other car manufacturers. In my experience:

Subaru WRX: Known ringland failures resulting in catastrophic engine failure. Subaru may or may not replace the issue only AFTER your engine seized and they prove you have not modified the platform to void the warranty, i.e. trying to get out of replacing an engine.

Mazda RX-8: Known apex seal failures resulting in complete engine failure. See above for the same remedy.

MazdaSpeed3: Weak motor mounts resulting in some engines completely falling out of the car. It took Mazda YEARS to address the issue properly after much litigation.

I can keep going. Every manufacturer has issues. It sounds like Hyundai is way ahead of the curve on this and going out of their way to get you fixed up good-as-new. If it were me, as much as this sucks, I would feel like my car is rock solid. You know they will be checking your ride over with a fine-toothed comb while you drive a brand-new loaner and keep miles off your ride. What's not to like?

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Decipher

I know this does not qualify for the lemon law and I never mentioned going after the lemon law! I still don't like the idea of having them remove an engine on a new car - as the remove stuff, things may break, leave things off, hoses and other parts loose.

Hyundai is not going out of their way; they are treating a customer the way it should. I have purchased their product AND only their product since 2002 - that makes it 7 cars a about 20 referrals.

And yes, I don't like it!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Took our new 2014 with 1500 mile to the dealer today due to excessive engine noise. The service manager, after I played back the horrendous loud noise on my iPhone, told me that they have had to replace 3 of the 2.4 engines with the same noise.

Service will contact corporate and advise of the problem. Can't believe that at 1500 miles the engine is shot to ****!
They agreed to replace the engine just from the iPhone recording - they didn't want you to bring the car in ?

Is it loud at idle or mainly when you accelerate - like a bearing noise that increases with rpms and load.

did they advise you not to drive it - just curious that they agreed to replace without inspecting the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The have had three already with the same noise/problem. It is loud at idle and when the engine is cold. Sounds like an old fashioned diesel. Was told to keep driving it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sounds like a bearing problem in the turbocharger, but I'm throwing a guess out there. Could also be a physical malady causing preignition in one of the cylinders.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Mine has a noise to at start. but after a min it goes away when the oil and engine is warmed up. The dealer said that it was normal. Well, I have 5 years!!!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got a call from Hyundai and they are sending someone (not only for me) tocheck the car at the dealer on Friday morning. I was asked to leave the car Thursday night to make sure the engine was cold upon start up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My son bought a 2013 Sonata and the pin stripes were messed up ( dealer trade/picked the car up at night and didn't see it), took the car back the next day. The car only had 100 miles, the dealer tried to fix the pin stripes and said that the complete car would have to be repainted! He contacted Hyundai, he said that he wanted another new car, he was nice, but they finally did give him another car.

I would make it clear to them that I want this car replaced!

It won't hurt to tell them what you want to make you a happy Hyundai owner.

A lot of people on this board won't trust the dealer to change their oil, I won't can't even picture them taking the engine out and then putting it back correctly! lol

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alohajoe

You are absolutely correct! I will just wait for the final verdict on Friday from the Hyundai tech and I will try fighting the engine replacement.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
A co-worker had her Honda Accord engine replaced because it was a bad engine, a Honda, you would not think that possible!

1 - 20 of 106 Posts