Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Itronics ITB-100HD Installation

INSTALLATION DETAILS:

Materials Needed: One (1) strikingly beautiful Hyundai Santa Fe in your choice of style, trim and color, One (1) Itronics ITB-100HD Unit with Power Cable and Mount, One (1) Mini Blade Fuse Add-a-Circuit (also known as ATM Fuse Tap), Two (2) Additional Mini Blade 10 Amp Fuses, One (1) 1/4" Ring Terminal, optional

Tools Needed: Wire Crimper/Stripper, Flat-Head Screwdriver, LED Flashlight, Paper Towels, Some Patience

Time Required: Approximately 20 to 30 Minutes solo, less with some help

1) Clean installation area with glass wipe. Ensure glass is dry. Best done when glass is not cold (hint, a hairdryer can warm the area up as needed).

2) Place mount behind rearview mirror. Affix to windshield.

3) Attach ITB-100HD unit to mount.

4) Using crimper, cut Cigarette Lighter Adapter cord - leave a couple of inches at the end for future re-attachment (if needed - see pic).

5) Attach cut wire to ITB-100HD unit; run wire up to top of windshield in middle of rearview mirror; thread wire underneath plastic cover. See pic.

6) Run wire across top of windshield, tucking it into headliner neatly.

7) Using a flat-head screwdriver and a paper towel, carefully lift pillar cover and tuck in wire, running it across the top and to the left, until it meets the rubber strip. Then, run wire under rubber strip all the way to fuse panel outer cover. See pic.

8) Remove the fuse panel cover. See pic.

9) Tuck wire from rubber strip up into fuse panel.

10) Strip wire outer cover. Strip red and black wires - careful not to break the thin wires inside.

11) Fold red wire over and twist, then insert it into Fuse Tap/Add-a-Circuit and using crimper, crimp the connection. Pull test lets you know it's a solid connection. (NOTE - soldering is probably a better connection, but I didn't go that route).

12) Connect black wire to ground - I used the bolt on top of the panel and a a 1/4" Ring Terminal

13) Pick a fuse to tap into. Here's the one I used (fog lights, which turn on with the ignition):

14) Remove fuse using fuse-removal tool. Save it in case you ever need to replace a different 10-amp fuse. Add two 10-amp fuses to the add-a-circuit. Make sure fuses are pushed all the way in.

15) Plug add-a-circuit to the same location from which the fuse was pulled. See pic.

16) Turn ignition on, and test unit. If it beeps, you're good to go.

17) Re-attach outer fuse panel cover. Tuck in all wires into fuse panel. Close fuse panel.

18) See pictures of the install:

FOGS STILL WORK...

Sorry for the quality of the exterior shots... got some really weird lighting outside today!

Oh, and here's a quick snapshot of what the software looks like (click to enlarge):

I'm very happy to have eyes again :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since I already know the question is coming... here are some sample videos (taken with the same camera when it was installed in my Genesis):

Watch these in 1080p, if you can. YouTube compresses the heck out of videos... the quality on my PC is way better.

POST-INSTALL VIDEOS:

·
Registered
117 Posts
7) Using a flat-head screwdriver and a paper towel, carefully lift pillar cover and tuck in wire, running it across the top and to the left, until it meets the rubber strip. Then, run wire under rubber strip all the way to fuse panel outer cover. See pic.

Just a heads up on the install. This part above is VERY DANGEROUS!!!

The wiring crossing over the headliner to the A piller MUST be tucked under the airbag, not ran over it!!!!

If you get into a side deployment accident, the side curtain airbag will not properly deploy due to the wire in its way!
This will cause one of two issues:
-Airbag deploys outward, while pushing a pillar plastic and hits driver-
-Airbag does not fully deploy and you get injured!

With the car off, its VERY safe to touch the airbag and tuck the wire properly.
Other than that, great job on the install! I have a dash came and radar detector in mine but I tapped off the power for the bluelink si i didnt have to run all the extra wiring.

Frank

·
Registered
32 Posts

The wiring crossing over the headliner to the A piller MUST be tucked under the airbag, not ran over it!!!!

If you get into a side deployment accident, the side curtain airbag will not properly deploy due to the wire in its way!

Other than that, great job on the install! I have a dash came and radar detector in mine but I tapped off the power for the bluelink si i didnt have to run all the extra wiring.

Frank
I'm interested in adding a camera at some point.

When you say tapped the blue link I assume you mean tapped the power feed that's already up at the rear view to feed the blue link functions in the rear view. Do you recall any info on which wire to select up there? Is the power wire for the rear view colored any specific way?

·
Registered
544 Posts

Frank
It may also be easier to just remove the "A" pillar to route the wire. There is one hard to remove fastener that is designed to prevent the pillar from flying away if the air bag is deployed.

·
Registered
218 Posts
have a dash came and radar detector in mine but I tapped off the power for the bluelink si i didnt have to run all the extra wiring.

Frank

I was about to comment on having the camera power be tapped off the power to the rear view mirror as well. That would be a cleaner and easier install. But, good to see the camera works well. Thinking of installing a recording camera as well, to record all the crazies lurching around.

·
2,258 Posts
great install man. i did the same wiring work.

here is my cam, that i have in all my cars:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Question though, what do you do for storage capacity? I have a pretty cheap one and with 34GB SD it gives me up to 5 hours. Which is good enough for me since my trips don't last more than 30 mins.

·
2,258 Posts
Question though, what do you do for storage capacity? I have a pretty cheap one and with 34GB SD it gives me up to 5 hours. Which is good enough for me since my trips don't last more than 30 mins.
i have a 16gig card.
my camera is auto-looping which means, when the card becomes full - it formats it, and starts all over again (all on its own).

·
Registered
149 Posts
i have a 16gig card.
my camera is auto-looping which means, when the card becomes full - it formats it, and starts all over again (all on its own).
Would hate if a major incident occurred right as the card was formatting. Are you sure it doesn't split the recordings into 30 minute chunks or something and just overwrite the oldest file when space runs low?

·
2,258 Posts
Would hate if a major incident occurred right as the card was formatting. Are you sure it doesn't split the recordings into 30 minute chunks or something and just overwrite the oldest file when space runs low?
every camera has its capacity limits. no camera can run forever (unless its a $1000+ camera that has a hard drive in the trunk.)

the way my cam works is it records 5min blocks almost seamlessly. when the memory card is full, it formats and starts all over again.

the other option is 1 fluid record, and when the card is full - it will shut off. that can happen half way through a trip; then what?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I guess I would expect it not to format the whole card when it gets full, but instead to just delete the oldest 5 minutes, in your example. More of a FIFO approach. The way you described it just seems odd to me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Looping generally means that it constantly over writes the oldest file without the need for formatting. I have two different DVR's and both work this way. It is suggested though to format the card in a computer every few months to keep it "clean".

·
Registered
789 Posts
every camera has its capacity limits. no camera can run forever (unless its a $1000+ camera that has a hard drive in the trunk.)

the way my cam works is it records 5min blocks almost seamlessly. when the memory card is full, it formats and starts all over again.

the other option is 1 fluid record, and when the card is full - it will shut off. that can happen half way through a trip; then what?
Usually most cameras come with either functions. As for me I let it record everything since I got a couple of spare SDs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 32GB - good for about 5 hours in HD. And mine loops also; as soon as it's full, each minute file overwrites the oldest minute file, and so on.

I have to check that fuse I tapped though... I don't think the camera is turning off with the ignition... does anyone know which other 10AMP fuse I should tap to instead? On my Genesis, I just tapped it to the cigarette lighter fuse in the passenger side box, but on this car, I couldn't find the same one on the driver's side.

Thanks!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Have mine tapped to the cigarette fuse. Can't tell you but I wouldn't tap it to any lightning fuse, they stay on after the engine is shut off right?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Have mine tapped to the cigarette fuse. Can't tell you but I wouldn't tap it to any lightning fuse, they stay on after the engine is shut off right?
Well, it's an extra 30seconds. This could help when you get out and somebody jumps you as you are getting into your house! Just saying ;)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts