Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger and traded our 2008 santa fe SE to 2.0T with leather pkg, haven't had time to do proper intro and didn't want this to be my first post... We have less than 1000 miles and engine is ticking quite badly, not always and doesn't go away when engine warms up. Will take it to dealer next week so that they can diagnose it more in detail. And no, it's not GDI system, noise is clearly coming from valve or vct system.

I know it's covered by warranty, but this stinks big time and frustrates like... Not a good start.

Anyone else seen this with 2.0T? I saw post on lwb section that someone has this with 3.3.

·
Registered
248 Posts
To me the 2.0t, is bulletproof. I have 10,000 miles and she runs as good as she sounds. Have you checked oil?.

·
Registered
759 Posts
No problems here either... I'm just about to roll 20,000 km since February... it's been great.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Finally pulled the trigger and traded our 2008 santa fe SE to 2.0T with leather pkg, haven't had time to do proper intro and didn't want this to be my first post... We have less than 1000 miles and engine is ticking quite badly, not always and doesn't go away when engine warms up. Will take it to dealer next week so that they can diagnose it more in detail. And no, it's not GDI system, noise is clearly coming from valve or vct system.

I know it's covered by warranty, but this stinks big time and frustrates like... Not a good start.

Anyone else seen this with 2.0T? I saw post on lwb section that someone has this with 3.3.
is the ticking constant or does it change rate with RPM?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me the 2.0t, is bulletproof. I have 10,000 miles and she runs as good as she sounds. Have you checked oil?.
Yes I did, nothing in the Oil and if there would be something it should be caught by Oil Filter anyways. Took a video about the noise, just too big to be posted. At least I can show it to dealer later this week.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hard to say without hearing it. Could be a valve in the motor. occasionally you get a spring that doesn't anneal properly and is either slightly over or under tension. They only spot check the batches, they don't test each springs.

·
Registered
884 Posts
11,000 on my 2.0T, running sweet..

Ticking changes with RPM?...Sure sounds like a lifter..

·
Registered
161 Posts
Wow! :eek: My lawnmower sounds better than that. Hope it's nothing serious - good luck and please post your results. Hard to believe they'd let something that noisy out the door.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To me, it sounds like one lifter, not numerous...Either out of adjustment...bad spring...or not getting fed any oil...

I wouldn`t wait, I`d bring it in without much delay..
Will take it to dealer tomorrow morning, actually I went there already on Saturday but their Service department where already closed. And it didn't make this noise when I tried to demo it to Sales Rep who sold it to me, well at least now I have video to prove I'm not hearing voices :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Sonatas are tickers anyway! Look at the initial drive tests from the new 4 cyl engine.....it was one of the things the testers noticed, but sounds like your may be more extreme.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
181 Posts
To me, it sounds like one lifter, not numerous...Either out of adjustment...bad spring...or not getting fed any oil...

I wouldn`t wait, I`d bring it in without much delay..
wow, that is louder than I imagined. I would agree with you. Almost wonder if the spring broke.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I definitely hear it it is most likely a valve train component. I mean It sucks but your the first person I heard with this issue so I mean It's not common.

Good Luck to you the dealer should definitely be pulling the valve cover.

Edit--- I remember my Honda made a sound just like that when I replace some spark plug tube seals then adjusted the valves but I left one on the locknuts to lock the valve adjustment loose and it made a very similar sound.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If it's all under warranty get the dealership to look at it. To be honest, most engines *do* tick a little. In this day and age it's normal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Drop it to dealer this morning, and they are able to hear ticking sounds as well. Apparently they are in contact to Hyundai USA as they are not quite sure what's going on with the Engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They came back, there is some metal dust in oil pan and Hyundai USA will want to replace the engine. Not what I wanted to hear, of course I can go ahead and get engine replaced but I have concern on resale value, is the work being done in same level it would have be done in the factory etc. Looks that I need to contact Hyundai USA as well to see what are my options here.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts