Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...new to the forum. i bought a 97 tiburon fx a few months back from my dads friend. car has 120K miles and ran fine for the first few months...then i started having tranny issues...anyways my question is about the charging system. while i was driving about a week ago my car basically just died on me. turn signals wouldnt work, radio cut out, barely made it home. so i figure my battery is just shot and i need a new one. charged the battery enough to get it to autozone and took the car up to autozone to get the battery and alternator tested. they tested it and said either the battery is shot, the alternator is shot, or both. so the next night i charge the battery overnight and take just the battery up to autozone. they tell me the battery is good as new...then i put the fully charged battery back in the car and take the car up to autozone again and they said the regulator in the alternator was bad(kind of what i expected) so then i take the alternator out and take it up to autozone to get it bench tested...and they tell me the alternator is working fine...sigh...anyways, i can tell something either wrong with the alternator or somethings wrong with the wires that connect the alternator to the battery. when the car is off the battery is around 12.5 volts (depending on if i drove the car that day) and when i start the car the voltage drops to about 12.2. i did a voltage drop test (used a voltmeter, touched one end to the alt. housing, one end to the neg battery terminal) and theres no drop...checked the fuses for alt and battery both were good...should i take the alternator to a mechanic? ive heard autozone's testing is basically just fail or pass...maybe a bad ground somewhere? im not sure whats wrong...also i dont have a high powedered audio system or anything that would put any extra load on the charging system...i only bought the car for a grand and with the tranny issues im starting to wonder if i should just cut my losses and part it out...anybody need any parts?? :grin:

appreciate your time guys
adam

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Physically remove ALL the battery cable connections from the car, i.e. remove both ends of the positive and the negative cables from the starter, body, fuse box, etc. and clean them really good. It's a common thing for Hyundais to have bad connections over time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts