Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,the "check engine" light has come up and i took it to a shop where they were able to put their computers in and they told me it was a P0741 code and it had to do with my transmission. My transmission fluid was checked and it looks really black and dirty so im planning on changing it and see if the check engine light comes up after i do the fluid change. My question is the following, how many quarts do i need ? Btw ive never changed the transmission fluid and my car has 92,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hello,the "check engine" light has come up and i took it to a shop where they were able to put their computers in and they told me it was a P0741 code and it had to do with my transmission. My transmission fluid was checked and it looks really black and dirty so im planning on changing it and see if the check engine light comes up after i do the fluid change. My question is the following, how many quarts do i need ? Btw ive never changed the transmission fluid and my car has 92,000 miles on it.
6QTs I believe. Please please please use the Hyundai/Kia stuff. I know people say the other brands work fine, but I can tell you some have had good luck and others have not. For whatever reason Hyundai's formula is just what our transmission needs... even if it is low quality junk.

That being said, once you do this I'd recommend swapping every 30K. In fact, I'd almost tell you to pay the money to have it done "right" at Hyundai, since you have gone almost 100K on the same fluid. This way ALL the bad fluid is out and only the good stuff is in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on buying the fluid from the hyunday dealer (Genuine SPIII), i plan on draining the fluid out and putting the same amount in, driving it for a week, and then re-do the steps in order to get a proper clean up. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I plan on buying the fluid from the hyunday dealer (Genuine SPIII), i plan on draining the fluid out and putting the same amount in, driving it for a week, and then re-do the steps in order to get a proper clean up. What do you guys think?
I know you'll want to do at least two swaps, maybe three. But by the second swap, it should be good enough to clear out that CEL and make your tranny nice and happy again.

From previous postings on the forum, I hear the first swap makes some difference, however, since you have about 11 QTs in there (I know I said 6... my bad) you'll need to do another swap.

See this (http://www.hyundai-forums.com/195-s...05-santa-fe-transmission-oil-change-tips.html) forum for a nice how-to (not that you need it, but I figure it can't hurt.)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
i really wish you guys would use the search button for a change.

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/184-m...ic-transmission-oil-change-accent-2008-a.html

despite all the BS in that thread, i do explain briefly how to flush the thing properly.

there's another thread floating around somewhere that i go into a bit more details on how to do this.

filing and driving around like that is a waste of time. just flush the thing through the cooler lines and be done with it.

all this being said, if your fluid is totally black with a 2006 and that low mileage something is wrong. what you're seeing is some kind of contamination of the fluid - probably a clutch pack breaking down or possibly a bearing grinding itself up.

in this case its the torque converter stuck off.

there's nothing wrong with doing a fluid change, and honestly its a good idea before going to the expense of a rebuild. i don't expect it to work though.

as for how much fluid you need pull out your OM and look up the trans capacity. probably 6 or 7 qts. for a flush you can double that bare minimum, even triple if the fluid is as bad as you say it is. what you don't use take back. if its unopened you can get a refund.

additionally, considering that garbage in the system is a good possibility i would replace the filter while you're there.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I know you'll want to do at least two swaps, maybe three. But by the second swap, it should be good enough to clear out that CEL and make your tranny nice and happy again.
Say what ?? ATF quality is not a monitored input to TCM.. need to know definition of the 0741, and how to diag it.. it is an electrical/solenoid concern I think (too lazy to look up right now)
Deal with cause of the DTC, then change ATF as maintanance item

·
Registered
543 Posts
Deal with cause of the DTC, then change ATF as maintanance item
Assuming I have it right, the code is telling us that the damper clutch system is stuck off. I don't think he wants to drop serious cash at the dealer (I'm assuming) and wants to see if the swap will make it any better. And once the system is able to function again it should clear the code... I could be very wrong though (and if I am I have no problem admitting to it.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up purchasing a case of 12 quarts at the dealership. I plan on doing this on saturday. Anything else I should get? btw, if this doesnt fix the **** error code then I will take it to my dealership where it is still under warranty. I have no problems with the car while driving at all .

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ended up purchasing a case of 12 quarts at the dealership. I plan on doing this on saturday. Anything else I should get? btw, if this doesnt fix the **** error code then I will take it to my dealership where it is still under warranty. I have no problems with the car while driving at all .
You may not notice it, but I can tell you how to check if you are having problems. Drive down the road until you get up to cruising speed. While you have your foot on the gas maintaining speed, give the brake pedal a tap lightly with your left foot. The engine RPM should raise momentarily and then go back to normal.. This is what happens when the torque converter is locked up at speed. If it isn't doing as I described, then the torque converter isn't locking up at speed and is slipping as it normally would. This creates extra heat and breaks down the friction material on the clutches or damages the torque converter itself. Flushing the fluid may result in a transmission that slips much more, or cause other problems shortly down the road as the new fluid "cleans" the transmission out as transmission fluid has detergents in it. Thankfully it's under warranty, but you will want to proceed with caution to avoid issues with the dealer on this.

·
Registered
543 Posts
What's the status of this? Have you swapped the fluid and noticed anything "better" about it?

·
Registered
144 Posts
i just flush the thing through the cooler lines and be done with it.

FYI its a bad idea to flush a transmission, most companies spell it out in the owners manual. Your best bet is to let Hyundai do it, they'll use factory fluid, gaskets and you know its done right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts