Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of changing some of my OEM bulbs to LEDs in the IX35 and was wondering if anyone else has already done this. I am planning to change the interior dome lights, parking light and licence plate lights. I am not quite sure if changing the turn signals to LEDs would require a load resistor due to the low current draw. I am also thinking about changing the headlamp and fog lamp bulbs to something brighter and whiter. Just need some guidance on getting some good quality LED,.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I changed the interior to LED and it looks great! I much prefer the white light over the dull yellow!!! I just got them from ebay (JAG Trading). I only did the interior though...

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I changed the front position lights to LED. Look white & great.
However, you must use the short bulb because of limited space/length inside the enclosure.
Planning to change the map light & dome light, lic light also waiting for the Ebay items to come.
The lugguage compartment light is a joke. They should provide another lamp on the right side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also replaced my park light with a maglite LED light bulb. I also prefer the white one than the dim and dull yellow. I am also considering changing my signal lights but I am still studying about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm thinking about changing my 2000 accent instrument panel with a 2004 instrument panel that has the green back lights and the digital readout. Is this possible?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
QUOTE (Mellofello @ Dec 14 2010, 12:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379580
Newtech:

Where did u purchase the leds for the position lights?
I bought from a Ebay Hong Kong seller called greenforcecells (same guy called movingupnow) He is not the cheapest. I bought from him many times/items. Quallity OK. My other Honda Prelude had changed every bulbs into led so I got experience. For this position light, buy the 12 or 13 led. Dont buy the 25 led which will be too long for the cavity.
On Ebay, type 168, T10 (same thing) you will get thousands of hit.
I won't buy from those US sellers which over=charging except for 1 weeks 10 days faster delvy.
For the map lights you can buy same or a bit longer (more leds) for more light.
For the dome light, you can buy the pcb board type 24 led from a seller called metapak which is the cheapest. I installed 2 24 led but it needs some soldering connection. You need some electrical mind to do that. On my Prelude I installed twin 36 led board, twin 36 led in trunk. Bright as X'mas tree.
On other lights, my experience is, dont bother to change if the lamp lens are red or amber, it makes almost no difference.
Try only change the back up light which is white len.
Will be happy to answer any further question.

TURN OFF THE SWITCH WHEN CHANGING BULB or you risk blowing fuses.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Further, lic plate light is easy to change. Insert a flat head screwdriver, the wider the better. into right slot of lamp (right side) use some downward pressure & the assembly comes out. Use care of course. The assm is held by a "N" shape spring. or "Z" depends on angle you are looking.
You can use longer led bulb here. Just measure the length of cavity & diameter of bulb before you buy.
Metapak sells the cheapest 25 led 168 on planet earth. Can't tell the quality I just start using them.

Those led by US sellers 100% are made in China, why buy thru a third or fourth party ?

·
Registered
326 Posts
What size bulbs are used for the license plate?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
T10 or = 168
I would recommend using 5050 LED which are the brightest. Make sure you measure the size (diameter/length) of bulb before ordering. The small leds are not that durable, I burned out many already in my 3 cars. Now switching all to 5050.

·
Registered
326 Posts
T10 or = 168
I would recommend using 5050 LED which are the brightest. Make sure you measure the size (diameter/length) of bulb before ordering. The small leds are not that durable, I burned out many already in my 3 cars. Now switching all to 5050.
I was all set to change them this weekend. But how in the world do you get the bulbs out. I couldn't even get the lenses off. Which way do you pull the tabs? It seems like there are two separate tabs in there.

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
Insert a larger blade flat screwdriver in, gently ply & pull out. Not that difficult. I have removed/inserted at least 3 times, keep upgrading my leds. Some months back I have described it in one of the threads.

·
22,788 Posts
I blew a fuse inserting a LED array into the bulb holder on wife's 2012 Tucson...cargo compartment. Anyone know off hand which fuse it is and if it is located in that cluster behind the dash below the turn signal/light switch?

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I have mentioned several times in this forum that when changing/replacing bulb(s), make sure there is no power at terminal.
I think the system is very sensitive to sudden current surge.
I believe the fuse is the "memory fuse' which is difficult & require some technique to remove. I couldn't get that 1 out myself.
Put back your old bulb, & go to dealer playing innocent. Let them replace it under warranty. Don't tell anybody where you heard this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep, probably the memory fuse. It's in the fuse panel by the driver's left knee. It's in a plastic holder and you need to jimmy it out with a small screwdriver.

--Colin

·
Registered
110 Posts
..More details and photos of interior...

150+ LEDs Ablaze:

What fits in a TUCSON?
TWO 24 LED Panel size: 43 x 30 mm Color:White for the overhead console map lights. $2.50-3.00
These panels fit the cleared part of the lens and look OEM. (E-BAY)
Use wide tape to hold LED panel in place, above clear section of the lamp.
TWO 48 LED Panel size: 53 x 40 mm White fit in the room lamp. $2.50-3.00 (shipped)
Peel the 3M tape and stick them to the flat surface above the lens.
I used twist and tape techknowledgy to fabricate a 31MM Festoon to power two 48 LED panels.

See more photos and info in this other thread:
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/224-t...d-interior-bulb-replacement-help-request.html
I also replaced the Festoon in the passenger vanity lamp with a 6-LED bulb.
They are all super bright, so I kept the dull bulb in the driver's vanity lamp for dull light if I ever want soft yellow light.
I used a 15 LED panel for the trunk light. 18 LED's was just too long for the lamp. I also chose the brighter 5050 type of LED for the trunk lamp. Easy, fun mod that is as cheap as a cup of coffee. I have not started with exterior lighting, yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts