Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
wow that does look good, did the paint get in the way when you put everything back together? cause after seeing this and i do this I'm gonna use automotive paint and clear, and i don't want the paint to chip when i put it back on.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just made sure that I took my time. I kept a clean rag to continue to wipe my hands on. When doing the surround for the a/c controls, there is silicon grease on the back of the controller. Make sure you don't get that on your hands.
I also put the gear shift all the way down to "1" to get it out of the way. When I took the surround off for painting, I left it in park, and had it been painted, it would have definitely been scratched.

Make sure that you paint is cured. Use your palms to push the a/c surround back on. It's a TIGHT fit.
The dash is way to simple, and I haven't gotten the radio surround back on yet. Gotta put the vents and clock and all installed back on it.

Looking back, a towel spread out over the center console would have been a good idea, and keep all the tools on the passenger side floor board. It's too tempting to lay down a painted piece on the passenger seat along with the tools you just used.

I only needed a stubby phillips, a long phillips, and a skinny flat head to insert between the surround to start prying.

·
Registered
515 Posts
QUOTE (WhiteGL671 @ May 27 2009, 12:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=238575
Nice job......
If only my interior was black...........can't really do much with my brown/beige color.
you can always color the plastic trims dark brown or a hue of orange-brown i dont think
those colors with interfere too much with the rest of the cars colors

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Nice job PastorK!

I really like how it looks to be factory done. I just wish I had the patience and/or talent to be able to do that. I fear that if I tried to do that it would end up looking like ****. lol

·
Registered
515 Posts
QUOTE (PastorK @ May 27 2009, 03:03 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=238674
The only thing I don't like is that the pictures don't do it justice. Looks even better in person.

sweet, dude....i might consider coloring the shifter nob and the handles like in steering wheels offering by hyundai (or even all the outer wheel portion) of the steering wheel

·
Registered
810 Posts
I actually plan on not only painting the interior of mine, but giving it a few coats of primer and sanding it smooth, then painting and matte clearing it too. I was, however, informed just a couple days ago regarding safety regulations regarding painting interiors - first, you should avoid bright/metallic colors on the top portion of the dash to prevent potential blinding problems from the reflections and second, you can't paint any airbag sections due to safety/tampering concerns. In other words, if you paint the airbag section, get into an accident and the airbags don't deploy (as they sometimes do not on ALL makes and models of ALL manufacturers - it's a very flawed safety system), Hyundai can essentially say you tampered with your safety system and you'll get no settlement or anything from them, taken to court or not. Just keep it in mind, up to you on whether or not you listen :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
QUOTE (ultragod @ May 27 2009, 05:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=238481
I want to do some interior coloring (I've even bought all the stuff I'll need); but I don't like the way the buttons look. They remain the stock color while the rest of it is painted, and it makes them stand out, IMO. I wish there was a way to paint the buttons and keep the part where the lights shine through it.
Not sure if you can remove our buttons ,but on my ZX2 I removed the bottons ,popped the clear insert out ,painted the buttons and put the inserts back in.
By the wat Pastor K NICE job. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
594 Posts
QUOTE (Sleeper @ May 26 2009, 02:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=238498
VERY nice man...how long did that project take?
It took about 2 1/2 hours to completely remove everything, then a few days with sanding, painting, and drying time. I think our cars would look good with any color on the inside. It just takes alot of time and planning on what you wanna paint, how you wanna paint it, and what color to paint. Lol.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts