Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate the moped horn so I picked up a set of FIAMM Freeway Blasters high/low tone horns. I was originally going to run a new relay since the combined current draw of the two horns exceeds the 10a that the circuit is fused for but then I checked out the existing horn relay which is rated for 20a. In my thinking, I ought to be able to use the existing horn circuit to power the new horns if I simply replace the 10a fuse with a 20a and given the short duration of any horn use there should be no chance of a problem since the relay is rated for the higher current draw. Am I making sense?

The hardest part will be figuring out where to put the new horns!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Usually the fuse is to protect the wiring not so much the horns. So if the wire is good for 10A do not assume it will take 20A. Any excessive current will lower the voltage and weaken the new horns too. Go with some 14ga wiring from the new relay using the old relay as the trigger circuit. I added a horn and it's mounted next to the OE. I think I used the same bolt to bolt the two together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Usually the fuse is to protect the wiring not so much the horns. So if the wire is good for 10A do not assume it will take 20A. Any excessive current will lower the voltage and weaken the new horns too. Go with some 14ga wiring from the new relay using the old relay as the trigger circuit. I added a horn and it's mounted next to the OE. I think I used the same bolt to bolt the two together.
I hear ya! I have all of the parts to do a new relay/wiring with shrink tube and split loom but the stock wiring ought to be able to handle the 12~15a for a duration of 1~5 seconds the few times a year it might be used. I was simply trying to save myself what might be unnecessary work where the factory wiring would suffice The horns will only draw what they draw unless the is a short/defect. I'm not new to this...I spent many years doing warranty electronic service for GM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can measure the voltage at the horns when they are on to see how much voltage is lost.
True enough. Worst case is I whip together a new harness/relay/fuse setup for the new horns that will easily overkill the load demand. I used to do it with the headlights in all of my old Jeeps and was rewarded with much brighter lighting every time.

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
the stock wiring ought to be able to handle the 12~15a for a duration of 1~5 seconds the few times a year it might be used.
FWIW, I agree. If I was doing the job I wouldn't be wiring in another relay. Just wire the new horns to the original wiring and uprate the fuse if necessary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW, I agree. If I was doing the job I wouldn't be wiring in another relay. Just wire the new horns to the original wiring and uprate the fuse if necessary.
Got it done this morning and faster than I had assumed initially. When I got the grille pulled forward, I found a horn where I wanted to put the horns. I had no idea this car had two horns as I thought the only horn was the one buried in the right front corner under the hood:unsure: Because of the size of the new horns, I mounted one to the OEM spot and hanged the other to an existing but unused hole in the plastic and it all fit back together like the day it was born...but a LOT louder!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
SashaHellsing
Hyundai Forums
Hyundai Forum is a community for all Hyundai Owners to talk and learn all about their favorite subject: Hyundai cars from the Sonata to the Elantra and even the new Kona!
Full Forum Listing