Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I want to change the oil for my santa fe 2004 iam still using 20w 50 because i live in warm place temperature in winter is about 15 to 25 during the day and in the summer up to 40c iam planing to change from the local made oil to use Castrol 20w 50 or the OEM hyundai oil 20w 50 but dose changing oil damage the engine or not

thank you

·
Registered
47 Posts
No, it's not going to hurt anything. There are varying opinions on oils and brand names, but what it all boils down to is marketing. Oil is oil. I've loaded bulk oil at the refineries and delivered it to distributers and pumped it into several different tanks all with different labels on them. Valvoline, mobile, shell etc. But, I use mobile synthetic in all of our engines.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The brand of oil isn't that important. the correct weight is the most important thing. I prefer to use synthetic because of it's durability, but whether its Castrol or Mobil One or some other brand, it's all pretty much the same.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Even in hot climates, 20W-40 or 20W-50 is really heavy oil. Hyundai recommends 5W-30 or10W-30 as the best choice for all-around service. I agree, the best thing to do is use good quality oil that meets or exceeds the manufacturer's recommendations as shown in the owner's manual. Synthetic based oils, as a general rule, aren't as subject to deterioration from heat over time as mineral based oils.

I read on a site not long ago (can't remember the URL, but it rated oils according to many factors) that, generally speaking, the highest rated oils were synthetic based and made for older cars with high mileage on the engines. All the oil manufacturers make them. The best filter is the Hyundai OEM one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts