Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, This is probably going to sound silly but I'm gonna ask anyway.
We bought this car used (I think we are 3rd owner?) at the beginning of Nov 2012 (77897 mileage). It is in really good shape & is the 1st Hyundai that we've bought. My hubby was going to change oil & filter before I went on weekend trip. He couldn't even loosen the cap of the oil filter canister! Is there a special tool to take it off? Also, when I took it in for the last recall repair at dealer, I learned that it is very common for 07 & 08 Santa Fe to have fuel sensor problems. (of course the gauge was acting up & ck engine light came on.) They checked the code & found that it was the fuel sensors. Dealer wants $450 (approx) to fix it. Does anyone else think that Hyundai should include this in a recall?

For the most part we are Chevy people, & are starting to wonder if we screwed up buying this car!

·
Registered
479 Posts
oil change

you can try this link for the DIY oil change or do another search http://www.hyundai-forums.com/174-do-yourself/110900-2009-santa-fe-oil-change-procedure.html

As far as the fuel sensor Im pretty sure you are out of luck first being the third owner and second I have not seen any recalls for the sensor even though there has been numerous messages. You can also do a better search on the fuel sensor to see what luck other people had or cost but again I think you are out of luck being the third owner.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
There are several 'weak points' in the 2007 model, none of which are terrible, but all of which need to be watched (and one needs annual attention). If you can get any service history on your vehicle, it would be good to see which, if any, of these have been addressed previously.

Fuel sensors - you know about this
TPS sensor - throttle position sensor
Brake light switch - recall/warranty item
Air bag clock spring - recall/warranty item
Passenger seat sensor - recall/warranty item
Rear brakes - clean and lube area under pad slides annually in your climate
Valve cover gaskets - oil can leak onto alternator causing alternator failure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your information!! I really appreciate it...especially since we've never owned a Santa Fe...my hubby is totally capable of all of this, so we shouldn't have to pay the dealer for too much. We did buy 2 oem oil filters when I took it in for the 1st recall after we bought it.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
As for oil filters, as long as you're buying the yellowish pleated ones that say "Made in Korea" on them, you'll be safe with those from whatever source...

There have been issues with other filters leaking down and causing top end noise on cold starts due to brief lack of lubrication.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As for oil filters, as long as you're buying the yellowish pleated ones that say "Made in Korea" on them, you'll be safe with those from whatever source...

There have been issues with other filters leaking down and causing top end noise on cold starts due to brief lack of lubrication.
As in any of the filter brands from WalMart that say "Made in Korea"??

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@jakes29

The OP has a 2007 3.3L engine. My comment and filter description apply only to the 3.3 engine. I see that you own a 2.7, and your 2.7 filter is not just a cartridge of the description I provided. You may already have understood that, but seemed a good idea to clarify this.

I don't know the best way to identify a good filter for the 2.7, nor if there have been any issues reported with any of them. Again, the concern related specifically to the OP's engine.

That said, yes .. even a WalMart filter that is of the dense yellow pleated paper with "Made in Korea" is probably just what the oil doctor ordered.

·
Registered
230 Posts

I bought filters from rock auto (fram) and the picture showed "Made in Korea". Received my order and they are made in the US. Are they so bad that I should just toss them?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Because we don't have any clue about the source of the filter, it's now a crap shoot. Your filters may work well, or they may not. I'd tell Rock Auto that they advertised one thing and sold you another, explain that non-Korean filters have exhibited a leak-down issue, and ask if they stock the Korean filters that they will send to replace the ones you have. If they'll do that, then you don't have to worry over whether they'll cause you grief the first time you install one.

If you can't get any satisfaction from Rock Auto, you can try one at your next oil change. If you find that start-up top end noise is significantly greater than it was before, or the VERY first time you notice a flickering oil light, I'd scrap them and start looking for the yellow pleated Korean jobs. They're not hard to find. Even Grease Monkey uses them <g>.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
As an outsider looking at the North American way of doing things - it seems perverse when spending money on changing oil far more often than Europeans and yet penny-pinching (cent-pinching?) by buying oil filters from anywhere.

Just fit Hyundai OE filters and sleep easy!

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
@Rupert
If you see the ones I'm describing, you'll know they can be both relatively inexpensive and 'correct' at the same time. They're quite common here now.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ya not worth the risk...I am in Canada so returning them is a pain. Just placed a big order and thought I would get a couple at same time...lesson learned will get from the dealer.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
There's no reason you shouldn't try one to see what happens. The results aren't catastrophic if you see trouble and just replace right away with a good one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi, This is probably going to sound silly but I'm gonna ask anyway.
We bought this car used (I think we are 3rd owner?) at the beginning of Nov 2012 (77897 mileage). It is in really good shape & is the 1st Hyundai that we've bought. My hubby was going to change oil & filter before I went on weekend trip. He couldn't even loosen the cap of the oil filter canister! Is there a special tool to take it off? Also, when I took it in for the last recall repair at dealer, I learned that it is very common for 07 & 08 Santa Fe to have fuel sensor problems. (of course the gauge was acting up & ck engine light came on.) They checked the code & found that it was the fuel sensors. Dealer wants $450 (approx) to fix it. Does anyone else think that Hyundai should include this in a recall?

For the most part we are Chevy people, & are starting to wonder if we screwed up buying this car!
I'll be replacing my fuel level sensors on the 16th unless something comes up. Will try to take a few pics a do a write up on the process shortly after.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Interesting video on counterfeit oil filters posted in the BMW forum I am a part of. The BMW oil filters are similar in design to the Hyundai cartridge filters. Counterfeits look similar but just don't do the job. I thought this would be relevant to this thread.

Original BMW Parts. Oil filter. - YouTube

Summary: stick to the $8 OEM filters. The money saved on non-OEM filters doesn't pay back.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My feeling is a filter from a good company should not be a problem. I use Wix , from Rock Auto. Fram filters are referred to by many as "The orange can of death". Though, Honda OEM filters are Fram in the USA . They use other filters in Japan. I think mine said made in Korea. I have 131950 on mine with no filter issues.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I replaced the remote (right side) fuel sensor. Between the special fuel tank tool from OTC and 80 bucks for the sensor and thread damage to the seat floor nuts from the lousy self tapping bolts Hyundai uses to screw the seats down, the job was a PITA. I prefer a cap type wrench for the oil filter. 88.22 mm x 15 flutes from NAPA and others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts