Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last time i changed my oil, the sticker that mechanic handed it to me labeling my next oil change. yesterday was the date it marked, but the miles i haven't reach that far. which one do you guys go for? thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
go by your owner's manual, what a dealer or quick lube places on your windshield has their wallet in mind, not yours. And, my opinion mileage wins over time with today's oils. Check your manual!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Old school rule of thumb is one year oil change interval if you don't drive it enough to reach it by mileage. As stated elsewhere, consult the owners manual for Hyundai's recommendation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I drive less than 5K.

FWIW I asked the dealer and he said that as long as I was using the car enough to stir up the oil I was okay.

But after 12 months if I get a good coupon I would take it to the dealer for a change. I think the coupon is $34 and the gas stations here in Northern California charge $28.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Depends on your driving conditions, vehicle, and oil used. City cars that are daily driven with low mileage stop and go typically need oil changed every 6 months. Occasional drivers who tend to take longer trips in low traffic areas may only need a yearly oil change. If you are not sure then 6 months or 5K miles is a good rule for most vehicles.

Both of my vehicles see mixed driving in moderate traffic with my car doing more short trips than the suv. I am fortunately down to about 250 miles a week now per vehicle and doing synthetic oil changes every 6 months. Finally on the same schedule and oil type for both vehicles too.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
go by your owner's manual, what a dealer or quick lube places on your windshield has their wallet in mind, not yours.
This. +1. Follow the manual and your warranty and functionality will be correct.

Once you are out of warranty all bets are off though. ;)

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
5K and not a minute longer. Warranty is one thing, but I live too far out of town and from the dealer to have my car towed in for service.

BTW I also use synthetic but I still change it often. Driving style and desire for 10+ years of service outweigh the cost and labor of the oil change.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
BTW I also use synthetic but I still change it often. Driving style and desire for 10+ years of service outweigh the cost and labor of the oil change.
I do my own oil changes and still can do it for synthetic and OEM filter for less than 30 bucks. Took a camera (as far as it would go mind you) to the head this weekend and it looks squeaky clean. Granted I had to follow the severe schedule but still; was worth my time.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
I do my own oil changes and still can do it for synthetic and OEM filter for less than 30 bucks. Took a camera (as far as it would go mind you) to the head this weekend and it looks squeaky clean. Granted I had to follow the severe schedule but still; was worth my time.
The camera idea sounds BOSS! I was looking at one at one of our company sales and could not think of a reason to get it. Now I may have to splurge and pick one up at full price.

Cats, does your camera have the ability to take snaps? If so, that would be a great post for the forum. As I near the 80K mark, I am curious as to what the internals are looking like and what should be lubed/replaced.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Nah, its a very simple camera.

If you get a camera you really want a camera that has a very small OD head and a short body or you will not be able to get it past the oil filler splash shield.

From what I could see it was silver metal and light gold oil in puddles. Granted I changed the oil about three days beforehand.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Last time i changed my oil, the sticker that mechanic handed it to me labeling my next oil change. yesterday was the date it marked, but the miles i haven't reach that far. which one do you guys go for? thanks
1st: Miles (3,000 first oil change and 4,800 thereafter)
2nd: 6 months, Mobil 1 says one year but also say follow the manufacture interval.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
5K and not a minute longer. Warranty is one thing, but I live too far out of town and from the dealer to have my car towed in for service.

IMO your habits will not increase the longevity of your engine, changing it every 7500 or 1 year I will bet will give you the same longevity of your schedule. My opinion, but few if any, engines die today from lack of frequent oil changes, everything else in the vehicle dies first.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
IMO your habits will not increase the longevity of your engine, changing it every 7500 or 1 year I will bet will give you the same longevity of your schedule. My opinion, but few if any, engines die today from lack of frequent oil changes, everything else in the vehicle dies first.
I didn't read he will do it because he believes it will give him a longer life. I read it as its a convenience issue for him. It puts him smack in the middle of Hyundai's recommendations and he also states his nearest dealer isn't all that close.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts