Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the lock horn on a 2017 Elantra? I really hate the road runner meep meep sound. If no one has done it does anyone know where it is on the car and where I can get a better sounding horn. I've seen a lot of posts about this but I have yet to see one where someone has actually done it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Supra came with beep beep beep, dumped those day two and replaced with Made in the USA American horns, sold by db rating, get at least 125 db, put 150 db on my motorhome.

Limited horn is sure American, very loud, generally two different frequencies, a hi and a lo where the difference frequency is, heck forgot this, even octaves down for resonance.

Where did your Elantra come from?

In setup got rid of that beep beep and light flashing with the remote, ha, don't want to give away my position.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm confused. You reference the "lock horn," but the horn does not sound when I lock the vehicle. There is a beep. Are you referring to the device that makes the beep, or the dual horns that are sounded when you tap the center of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm confused. You reference the "lock horn," but the horn does not sound when I lock the vehicle. There is a beep. Are you referring to the device that makes the beep, or the dual horns that are sounded when you tap the center of the steering wheel?
@KristianG97 probably doesn't have proximity key. When you have proximity key, you get the nice, luxury-style, electronic "chirp" sound. When you don't have proximity key, you get this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Supra came with beep beep beep, dumped those day two and replaced with Made in the USA American horns, sold by db rating, get at least 125 db, put 150 db on my motorhome.

Limited horn is sure American, very loud, generally two different frequencies, a hi and a lo where the difference frequency is, heck forgot this, even octaves down for resonance.

Where did your Elantra come from?

In setup got rid of that beep beep and light flashing with the remote, ha, don't want to give away my position.
The limited trim has a different horn? Would I be able to pull one from the scrapyard and swap it with mine? Mine is an SE from the Alabama factory I think.

I am talking about the beep when you double click the lock button.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The limited trim has a different horn? Would I be able to pull one from the scrapyard and swap it with mine? Mine is an SE from the Alabama factory I think.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with Proximity Key versus a blade key with a separate remote. You don't have the Proximity Key/push-button start, right?

You may just be able to simply add a DEI-branded siren to it. I'm almost positive the alarm horn is separate from horn connected to the steering wheel. If that's the case, then you probably can just replace that smaller horn with a siren.

Side note - if your VIN starts with a 5, it came from Alabama. If it starts with a K, it came from Ulsan, South Korean.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
In the Limited can switch off flashing headlamps and the vehicle's main horn, does the SE have this feature?

Still get one tiny chirp when you lock the doors with the push button on the door handle, two when its unlocked. But it does have a fit if you leave your remote in the car and won't lock.

When the vehicle main horns are used, just get a quick pulse that is really annoying regardless of what kind of horns you have, most people leave those on, maybe to help them find their vehicle. But if you improve yours, still have to listen to theirs.

What is really annoying are these anti-thief alarms, run for around 30 seconds.

Ha, tried to spend an night in my son's apartment in Madison, no AC windows were open, horns were beeping all night long, how do you sleep? You get use to it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone changed the lock horn on a 2017 Elantra? I really hate the road runner meep meep sound. If no one has done it does anyone know where it is on the car and where I can get a better sounding horn. I've seen a lot of posts about this but I have yet to see one where someone has actually done it.
The lock horn is in the engine compartment. When standing in front of the car it is on the left side near the firewall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts