Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm after a bit of advice please.
I've had my new car for 3 weeks now and yesterday i noticed that the car would move from 3rd to 4th without using the clutch. it didnt do this by itself but all it took was a small nudge from me. It would also move out of 2nd in the same way but wouldnt go into any other gear.

My partner seems to think this is not a problem, some cars will do this, however i've never had this before.
The gears also seem very easy and loose in general.

Do i have a problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
QUOTE (talulah @ Apr 20 2010, 10:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314854
Hi
I'm after a bit of advice please.
I've had my new car for 3 weeks now and yesterday i noticed that the car would move from 3rd to 4th without using the clutch. it didnt do this by itself but all it took was a small nudge from me. It would also move out of 2nd in the same way but wouldnt go into any other gear.

My partner seems to think this is not a problem, some cars will do this, however i've never had this before.
The gears also seem very easy and loose in general.

Do i have a problem?

Thanks
Changing up without the clutch is quite normal on a lot of cars and bikes. Get the revs at the sweet spot and it should be quite easy. Tis how the straightliners (early 1/4 mile drag racers ) did it.

If anything you ( lucky person ) have a fully working decent gearbox !

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used to play this game years ago. Tried seeing how far I could drive without using the clutch at all, just changing gears by getting the engine revs just right. I find the i10 gearbox the wonderfully easy for changing gears, the best I've known.

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (rob13 @ Apr 20 2010, 07:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314868
I used to play this game years ago. Tried seeing how far I could drive without using the clutch at all, just changing gears by getting the engine revs just right. I find the i10 gearbox the wonderfully easy for changing gears, the best I've known.
Yep same here. Worth practicing too, I once had to do it for real when a clutch cable snapped on a long journey, fortunately cross country and at night.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Slightly :eek:fftopic: I know........ but way back when I rode a motorcycle, someone reversed into it....... it fell over and off snapped the clutch lever. It was about 3 weeks before I bothered to get a lever for it :thumbsup: it was so easy to ride without using the clutch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Modern synchromesh is very good, but it will wear out in time. Better to be boring and conventional and use the clutch. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts