Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I bought my 2013 Elantra Limited a week ago yesterday and to this point I absolutely love my new baby. The one thing I just don't think I will be able to tolerate is the factory sound system. I already have an amazing system that I removed from my trade in and I am going to put it in the Elantra at some point, but I simply can't deal with the factory head unit.

That being said, I have a couple questions for the veterans around here:

1.) If I install an aftermarket stereo, can I connect my current backup camera to the video input in some way and also have it automatically change to the backup view when putting the car in reverse.

2.) Is there ANY way of retaining the Bluetooth phone answer and hang up on the steering wheel? I know I can retain channel mode volume etc. but so far I haven't found anything on keeping the phone answer and end buttons.

3.) Would there be any interest in me selling my brand new nav unit? I know there are classifieds on here, but do people actually make deals on this forum?

Thanks for any and all help you guys can offer!

Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would be interested by your unit depending of what price and where you live. :) And for the question about the backup camera I would say yes.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm definitely interested in selling it, but I have to figure out what all I will gain/lose by replacing it. I'll keep you in mind if I decide to sell it.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Why go to all the trouble to replace the head unit and risk losing all the features you like when that isn't the cause for the poor sound? I've already looked into this and I've been told by two reputable audio people in the area that it's the amplifier that's the problem for the disappointing 'premium' sound system, not the head unit or the speakers. In fact I was told that the speakers are very good for stock speakers, they're just being let down by a sub-par amplifier which is external, not integrated into the head unit.

Bypass the stock amp with a better one, add a sub and go home happy with a nice, clean factory look.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not the power of the system that is bothering me... it's the quality of the sound. I know changing the factory speakers with components would help and adding my amplifier to the stock head unit is an option, but doing that I end up amplifying distortion. I can't give a number, but from my ears, the total harmonic distortion this head unit puts out is just unacceptable to me... but I'm also an audiophile who went to school for recording engineering. If there are tests on the THD of the head unit that can prove that the amp and speakers are the cause of the poor audio quality, I would definitely look at keeping the stock head unit... but 9 times out of 10, it's the head unit putting out a poor signal and adding amps simply amplifies a bad sound.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It's not the power of the system that is bothering me... it's the quality of the sound. I know changing the factory speakers with components would help and adding my amplifier to the stock head unit is an option, but doing that I end up amplifying distortion. I can't give a number, but from my ears, the total harmonic distortion this head unit puts out is just unacceptable to me... but I'm also an audiophile who went to school for recording engineering. If there are tests on the THD of the head unit that can prove that the amp and speakers are the cause of the poor audio quality, I would definitely look at keeping the stock head unit... but 9 times out of 10, it's the head unit putting out a poor signal and adding amps simply amplifies a bad sound.
Hi Scott,
I'd be interested in seeing the actual specs for the sound systems that Hyundai puts in these Elantras, too. As far as I know there's nothing actually posted on the 'net, but perhaps if we knew who was the actual manufacturer of these systems maybe that would narrow down the field some.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've searched online and just can't find the actual manufacturer or model number of the unit to find the specs. I'd be interested in seeing the actual specs, but I've learned to trust my ears over the years and I'm definitely hearing problems.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called my local dealer today and spoke to someone in the parts department. I asked if they could give me a manufacturer or part number or anything that might help us identify the unit and find the specs, but unfortunately, he has no information that would help. Does anyone else have any input on the questions I asked above?

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'd be interested in your head unit as well

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I called a local installation shop today and they said they have never had a car come in where they couldn't wire in the factory camera to an aftermarket head unit. They also said I can retain my bluetooth phone answer and end call buttons. So that being said, I think I can go ahead and officially say that my head unit is for sale. The car has only been driven 700 miles to this point so needless to say, it's in perfect condition. I looked on eBay and the factory head units are selling for 500 - 550. Send me a PM with what you guys are willing to pay for it. If you guys want pictures I can go take them... but if you've seen one, you've seen them all :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts