Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed out the coolant on the sonatas?

I can see what looks like the "drain ****" on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom (a little white gadget).

But, it looks like a first class knucklebuster to get to it.

Do you remove one of the splash panels down below?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (kn5owa @ Aug 6 2010, 12:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347580
Has anyone changed out the coolant on the sonatas?
Many of them through the years ..

I can see what looks like the "drain plug" on the passenger side of the radiator at the bottom (a little white gadget).

But, it looks like a first class knucklebuster to get to it.

Do you remove one of the splash panels down below?
Get the car up in the air, or at least off the ground.. remove the forward most panel across the front, 4 bolts, need 10mm socket. Drain is now accessible.

Reactions: Here2Learn

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I kinda figured that to be the case - no normal human could access the draincock from the top.

P.S., I can't believe I got censored - I was only quoting the owner's handbook.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I suppose if I wrote about how hens make chicks tactically assisted by the rooster, the auto censor would go batty wondering if "rooster" was another almost-dirty word. :grin:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is it possible to drain radiator without jacking up car?

QUOTE (kn5owa @ Aug 6 2010, 12:09 PM)
I sure would like to get to the radiator drain without jacking up the car. Is there any hope on a 2007 Sonata V6?

By the way I stumbled upon a site that mentions that you can measure the voltage between your coolant and battery ground. A reading greater than 0.2 volts indicates that the mixture is off or the coolant is getting old. Here is the link:

Engine Coolant - Antifreeze for your Car

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You only have to raise the car a few inches to access the front splash panel at the bottom of the car. -- or else be very skinny. And removing the panel looks to me the easiest way to access the drain valve.

Electrolytic voltage measurements on the coolant?? There are posts all over the 'net on this idea. It makes for an interesting science experiment. But digital voltmeters are so sensitive that you will register a few hundred millivolts on just about anything - probably depends more on the type of metal that the voltmeter probes are made of than anything else. Each to his own.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hey,

I did the coolant change this past fall. Just jack the car up a bit. The white drain plug twisted easily, hopefully yours will too. I got a mild Prestone Super flush solution and distilled (not purified or spring) water and new coolant. I read on here that distilled water has the least additives and will not corrode metal as easily. I then filled with water twice per the flush instructions, drained and then refilled with 50/50 coolant water.

Make sure to suck out the overflow reservoir of the old coolant too. If your coolant is really old and cruddy, you may need a coolant flush machine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts