Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2015 Sonata 2.0T. Used NGK SILZKR8E9G OEM plug. 73K miles. No evidence they had ever been changed. I am second owner.
As I started to take coil #1 out (furthest left coil), there was oil on the outside of the coil shaft. That took me by surprise and I was like "What the Fuhhh?" Then as I took out the plug, I noticed it was coated in oil. Can anyone guess what is happening here? Anyway, I looked into the shaft and saw there was some oil pooled up in there and a few drops had dripped into the cylinder. BTW, all other plugs, coils, etc, were bone dry as they should be. At first I thought I had some sort of gasket failure but then I noticed the oil fill cap is right below the coil (not really below per se, but just next to it toward the front if you know what I mean). I knew it wasn't a gasket failure somewhere as I have zero smoke from my exhaust. I think the Hyundai dealership, when they change my oil, is spilling some oil onto the place where the coil is and it is dripping down that shaft. Very careless might I add. I cleaned it up out of the shaft as good as I could without risking anything falling into the combustion chamber. I got 95% of it all. They should have located the oil fill cap away from the coils if you ask me. That would not have been a difficult thing to do.
I guess it is time to either do it myself or let them know to be more careful next time.
What are your thoughts? Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Can anyone guess what is happening here?
I'm not too familiar with Sonata spark plug tubes but it's possible the tube seal has broken where it screws into the head. That would allow oil to get inside the tube.

Does your engine have a large plastic cover over the spark plugs, while leaving the oil fill cap accessible? If so hard to envision oil being spilled down past coil-on-plug.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not too familiar with Sonata spark plug tubes but it's possible the tube seal has broken where it screws into the head. That would allow oil to get inside the tube.

Does your engine have a large plastic cover over the spark plugs, while leaving the oil fill cap accessible? If so hard to envision oil being spilled down past coil-on-plug.
It does, but if you look at the dust cover, it would be easy to spill oil where the coil is if you are not careful and miss the oil fill hole. I'll snap a picture later.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
2015 Sonata 2.0T. Used NGK SILZKR8E9G OEM plug. 73K miles. No evidence they had ever been changed. I am second owner.
As I started to take coil #1 out (furthest left coil), there was oil on the outside of the coil shaft.
So this would be over to the right, not left (driver left/passenger right)? Position is determined as if you are behind the wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this would be over to the right, not left (driver left/passenger right)? Position is determined as if you are behind the wheel.
That is correct. Furthest right if you are in the driver's seat. The oil fill cap is just in front of that coil. If I look at the oil fill cap with the dust cover installed, I can see the top part of the coil. It's easy to spill if you're not careful from what I can see. Plus, if you are standing in front of the car, filling it with oil, the oil is draining out of the container toward the coil, so if you miss the oil fill hole, it will spill on the coil.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I still have the original plugs (see mileage) but mine is not a turbo. If it ain't broke...

·
Registered
2015 Sonata 2.0T Sport Limited
101 Posts
OP wasn't speaking of the corona stain, he stated that there was oil in number 1 spark plug hole.
Ah, I saw the picture and thought that's what he meant by oil on the plug. Probably should have had more coffee this morning.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If what you are concerned about is actually a "bad design", then a whole lot of the brands/models on the road have it. You pretty much have to pour the oil into the top of the motor, and spark plugs/coils are evenly distributed (pun intended) across the top of the block with 4 cyl engines. No getting around it, just be careful when you put oil ini; use a funnel rather than trying to pour directly from the bottle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If what you are concerned about is actually a "bad design", then a whole lot of the brands/models on the road have it. You pretty much have to pour the oil into the top of the motor, and spark plugs/coils are evenly distributed (pun intended) across the top of the block with 4 cyl engines. No getting around it, just be careful when you put oil ini; use a funnel rather than trying to pour directly from the bottle.
I don't disagree with this, but there are a half dozen ways I could think of to help avoid this. The obvious one would be a rubber seal around the coil that would mate with a slightly taller metal rail around the top of the shaft hole to prevent any liquid or debris from going down the shaft.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I would just say these plugs look like they would go another 73k, and you weren't having problems (if it ain't broke...) with misfire. Turbos were said to have some issues with the Denso plugs so you could have left the NGK's as is.
Bad design/moot point!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Off topic but the oil fill on my ex-2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L V6 was on the very edge of the valve cover. If you didn't use a funnel, there was a good chance oil would spill all down the head and onto exhaust manifold. Bad design or the fault of a careless mechanic?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BTW, I had the oil changed this past Saturday. I asked them to use a funnel which they did because I could see my car from the lounge. One week prior to this I put in a new air filter (at the same time as the plugs). When they went over the multi-point inspection with me, they listed the engine air filter as red "Needs Immediate Attention". LOL. When he brought me the checklist, he asked me if I wanted them to replace it. I just politely said No Thanks and paid for the service and went on my way. Wasn't in the mood to tease him in front of others in the lounge. Does this happen to others here?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
This was my Sonata after being sold from a Jeep dealer...it also had a Toyota oil filter in it from service that they'd "actually" done! (I bought it when a local lady had to go into assisted living).

Fltr.JPG

·
Registered
376 Posts
BTW, I had the oil changed this past Saturday. I asked them to use a funnel which they did because I could see my car from the lounge. One week prior to this I put in a new air filter (at the same time as the plugs). When they went over the multi-point inspection with me, they listed the engine air filter as red "Needs Immediate Attention". LOL. When he brought me the checklist, he asked me if I wanted them to replace it. I just politely said No Thanks and paid for the service and went on my way. Wasn't in the mood to tease him in front of others in the lounge. Does this happen to others here?
I had the local Dodge dealer try to sell me sway bar end links on my Grand Caravan a week after I had replaced them. I called them out on it. lol

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,524 Posts
Does this happen to others here?
I had it happen, I had changed the air and cabin filters on the way to the dealer and they then did a free oil change and tried to sell me new filters saying I needed replacement.

i did call them out on it , went out to the drive and pulled both filters and showed the service writer . he made an excuse that the tech was going off the service records an did not instect them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts