Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's SF uses a Mahle oil filter. Over Christmas I did an oil change with a Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor, worked like a charm and got just under 6 quarts out. I may never crawl underneath again. I did not change the oil filter b/c of time constraints. I typically run 5k mile oil changes using a top tier synthetic 5w-20. My question is would there be any harm running the Mahle oil filter for 10k miles (2X oil changes). Would be particularly interested to hear from the master technicians and others in this forum that have pulled oil cartridges out of the 3.5 engines at all mileage intervals. TIA.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
What is the media made of on the filter you have? If it's synthetic then it can go double oil changes.

FWIW I go double on both my cars using the Fram Ultra brand but it is a screw on filter.

·
Registered
882 Posts
oil and filter have different intervals. Top tier oil always come with top tier synthetic oil filter so they can change at the same time. If you buy cheap paper filter you should replace it at 5k

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Mahle will make filters to the spec the customer specifies. If it is designed for long term use they will advertise a 10K-20K mile life. You can usually tell by looking at the media. Synthetic is thicker and more "foam" like.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If your engine is in good condition (little blowby) there is no problem going 10,000 miles. Many new cars go 12,500 between oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
mahle is oe to bmw. they also manufacture forged metal products, like alloy wheels. when i was in the parts business, it was the filter of choice for bmw shops(air, oil, fuel).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Those same cars come to me with timing chain failures. It’s rampant. Change your oil at 8-10k km MAX ( synthetic ). Mineral oil I’d do 5-6k km max. A lot of manufactures are recalibration their oil life monitors due to extended oil related issues.

If your engine is in good condition (little blowby) there is no problem going 10,000 miles. Many new cars go 12,500 between oil and filter changes.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Charlotte does not have the harsh winters so although I prefer to change the filter at each oil change going every other one will cause no harm IMO. Some manufacturers recommend a every other cycle on filters.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Mahle is overrated. Contact them for single/multipass micron ratings of your specific filter part number, and its gram holding capacity. Those overhyped on the internet Euro filters are not worth buying.

Don't be cheap and change out the filter every interval as required.

Test the mityvac, after vacuuming, by opening the drainplug and see what comes out. Some of my previous engines drained nothing. Other drained some. Since I want as complete of a change, I would use the method that was best for the specific engine.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
At 5000 miles your oil will be black. I buy Wix filters myself rarely have a I left the oil filter in on a oil change. However it can be done without oil loss, a mere top up for the filter are is all thats needed. A lot DEPENDS on the severity level you are running at. We are all in the severe service categorry, few might not be but likely clueless as to these catigories which you cannot push consumables to the documented limits max but much lower. A long trip in the summer across country, yeah you could get away with it since little start stop and cold start contamination. occurs. Winter, LOL no cotten picken way, change it all as sooner!!

A old commercial comes to mind and the words were "Pay Me Now or Pay me Later" with the mechanic holding an oil filter. So how much stress and financial cost can you handle to save 8 bucks!!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Guys, this is not Canada, he lives in North Carolina!

With today's oils, today's engines and assuming the engine is operating properly the oil filter is almost a useless appendage, like our appendix. Sure it captures some stuff but most of it just stays in the oil (below 20 microns). So going two oil changes on a filter designed for 10,000 plus in North Carolina is not going to decrease the longevity of this engine. Certainly not one time which is what the person was concerned about in the first place.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
As easy as it is to change the filter on my 3.5, why would I want to save only ten bucks twice a year and take chances with the longevity of my engine?

Why are we even having this discussion?

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Nobody has mentioned that as the filter starts to block to the better it gets. Obviously the medium will breakdown eventually (years) then all **** brakes loose with large amounts of rubbish blocking the oil galleries. Lets be realistic the distance for a filter to block and becomes useless is well after the change interval. Lubrication breakdown is the offender not the filter. Change your oil regularly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hyundai recommend oil/filter change at 15km or 10k miles.
As long as the oil filter is changed at the correct intervals you can change the oil as often as you like.
In a previous post Hyundai Australia confirmed that The decision between Synthetic, semi synthetic and mineral oil is not relevant as we do not publish or recommend either way.
So feel free to use whatever turns you on.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
As easy as it is to change the filter on my 3.5, why would I want to save only ten bucks twice a year and take chances with the longevity of my engine?

Why are we even having this discussion?

Because some of the newer filters have been designed to go two oil changes. Certainly not the case with the Hyundai filter though.

The new synthetic long life filters are a thicker material and the dirt gets embedded in them. They do not "cake up" on the outside like the older filter media.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I don't get why you wouldn't want to change the filter either. On Amazon, you can get a bulk pack of 10 for about $3.50 USD/filter. Is the potential of causing poor filtration, oil pressure issues and engine damage worth $3.50?

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I have not seen any oil pressure issues using the Fram Ultra filters on my Gen Coupe. I go double changes.

How would you know you have any oil pressure issues unless you have installed an oil pressure gauge?

And again this is not meant to be done with the standard oil filters but rather filters designed to go up to 20k miles..

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the time it took you to post the question, you could have changed the filter. It's $5 and takes 5 minutes.

Unless you are operating in extremely unique conditions, there is almost nothing to be gained by deviating from the manufacturer's oil change interval/requirements. Annual oil change costs are practically negligible.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts