Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2002 Elantra GLS with the olive colored gauges. I would like to change my gauges to a nice blue, but I'm unsure how labor intensive it is. Is it just the bulb that gives the gauges its color? Or is it an olive colored film behind the gauges? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, don't tell me to use the search bar, because I did and didn't get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I removed the instrument panel on my old 2001 Elantra more times than I'd care to remember. I recall that the bulbs that illuminate the gauge cluster do have a rubberized, colored hood over them which, I suppose, can be removed, although I never did. Changing them, and therefore the color, would require that you locate a replacement "cover" of the same size and transparency. There are, at least, two different sized bulbs in there. Or, you could try painting the bulbs themselves.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the instrument panel on my old 2001 Elantra more times than I'd care to remember. I recall that the bulbs that illuminate the gauge cluster do have a rubberized, colored hood over them which, I suppose, can be removed, although I never did. Changing them, and therefore the color, would require that you locate a replacement "cover" of the same size and transparency. There are, at least, two different sized bulbs in there. Or, you could try painting the bulbs themselves.
Thanks for the reply! I was actually thinking of getting blue LED's for the gauges. Do you by any chance know what type of bulb it is?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I was actually thinking of getting blue LED's for the gauges. Do you by any chance know what type of bulb it is?
Of the two bulbs in the cluster, one was a very small and expensive bulb with base, and the other was a larger, less expensive, bulb. Both, as I recall, twist into their respective mounts in the cluster. I've got to figure that these bulbs are somewhat generic in voltage and size, including the mounting base design. You may be able to find the "manufacturing jargon" used to describe the bulbs, and search for replacements based on that. Or you could try searching by Hyundai part number for a cross-reference. As for the cluster removal, you remove the entire L-shaped fascia panel that extends from the gauge cluster to the ash tray. There are 2 screws above the cluster, and two more in the vicinity of the ash tray. The remainder of the panel is held in place with tension clips. The cluster itself is secured by 4 screws, 2 above and 2 below. You will also find multiple wire harnesses connected to the back which can be easily disconnected. It's been over a year since I last dove into the cluster. I traded the car shortly after. Unless you've already done this, I'd advise you to register on the following Hyundai website: https://www.hyundaitechinfo.com/. There's some great information there along with easy-to-follow diagrams for what you're looking to do. This has been my go-to website since I bought my first Elantra in 2001.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts