Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little fun today. Ended up going against a Porshe...unfortunately, I have no idea which model (guessing older carrera, but I may be way off (It was pitch black outside)). Ran from 80mph rolling start and ended at about 140mph because we ran out of room. He got me on the start, but I slowly, and steadily crept up and eventually, past him....Was a great race. Got the 4-way markers as a sign of sportsmanship too! Go figure...no camera when you need one...sigh. I need to make a camera mount for my car...

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It's nice to run with someone who's respectful. Pay it forward next time an actual turbo Porsche rapes you...lol

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I never said we raced on a public road

@leesrt...I'm confused by the second part of your comment...What did you mean by "pay it forward"?
If you lose in a race be cool about it and give a thumbs up or 4 way flash.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
So you raced in your driveway from an 80mph rolling start?
All the lights were out at the track which is why it was pitch black?
He's a millionaire and has a veeerrryyy long driveway...:rolleyes:

I get the safe driving pitch and I know we alllll go to church on Sunday, eat our broccoli, and all that but political correctness aside, I think we all like a run every now and then or we'd all be posting in the accent forum.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep!

"I get the safe driving pitch and I know we alllll go to church on Sunday, eat our broccoli, and all that but political correctness aside, I think we all like a run every now and then or we'd all be posting in the accent forum. "

OH SNAP!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
He's a millionaire and has a veeerrryyy long driveway...:rolleyes:

I get the safe driving pitch and I know we alllll go to church on Sunday, eat our broccoli, and all that but political correctness aside, I think we all like a run every now and then or we'd all be posting in the accent forum.
Exactly....I hate how this forum is so strict about stories like this. It's really not a big deal to talk about a little fun on the road. Every other forum that I've belonged to with other cars, it was never an issue and was freely discussed. It's a little ridiculous really...I love this forum but I hate this stupid rule.

@Zebo no disrespect but it's bad enough that we have the mods complaining about race stories.... I don't think we need members doing it too. :innocent:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
There's nothing wrong with having a little fun, however I don't see how endangering people's lives in "fun". Seeing human bodies mangled and squished inside wrecked vehicles because of, what you describe as fun, quickly looses its humor.

/sarcasm on
Perhaps you should do a ride along with the local police and have a chat with them - about how much fun it is to put someone's remains into a bodybag.. and the sheer laughter shared between those family members and the police officers who notify them of the death of a loved one.
/sarcasm off

Take it to the track.
I worked 8 years as a patrol officer. There's a big difference between running with someone on an open straight highway and the street racing that gives it all a bad name and gets people killed.
That said, I wouldn't run with someone up to 140. I think by the time you reach 100 the point has been made.

The same people who get on the "no racing" bandwagon will mess with stuff in their car (stereo, cellphone, SO, kids, french fries) and never think that aside from drunk driving, wrecks caused by distracted drivers are the number one cause of deadly accidents. Navigation systems are a major cause of accidents. More people get caught rear ending people because they were playing with their nav units than you van imagine.

While in Law Enforcement I responded to more than my share of deadly accidents (more than I can count) that resulted from distractions and usually texting. I can count on one hand the number of accidents I've responded to because people were racing (2 total) and nobody was hurt.

I'm not talking about the "fast and furious" street racing that was getting people killed in California but the occaisional run on the highway when there's no traffic involved.

Do accidents happen, yes. Do they sometimes get caused by stupid people racing, yes. My point is there are many other things that cause way more accidents and we ignore that because its easier to pick and chose the things we think we're above.
We can be adults and differentiate between the two and in no way does anything we discuss indicate that the forum condones it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, about how a won against a Porshe...lol

I appreciate all views and agree that street racing is dangerous.
Now that that's been talked about, I'd like to open this thread up to others who in the near future want to add "wins" with their sonatas...please don't post if you fly by someone who doesn't actually race you...we'll most likely be able to tell.

Oh btw, only mods were stock BOV recirc hose delete (open BOV), and a unviersal cone filter on the stock intake tubing...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I worked 8 years as a patrol officer. There's a big difference between running with someone on an open straight highway and the street racing that gives it all a bad name and gets people killed.
That said, I wouldn't run with someone up to 140. I think by the time you reach 100 the point has been made.

The same people who get on the "no racing" bandwagon will mess with stuff in their car (stereo, cellphone, SO, kids, french fries) and never think that aside from drunk driving, wrecks caused by distracted drivers are the number one cause of deadly accidents. Navigation systems are a major cause of accidents. More people get caught rear ending people because they were playing with their nav units than you van imagine.

While in Law Enforcement I responded to more than my share of deadly accidents (more than I can count) that resulted from distractions and usually texting. I can count on one hand the number of accidents I've responded to because people were racing (2 total) and nobody was hurt.

I'm not talking about the "fast and furious" street racing that was getting people killed in California but the occaisional run on the highway when there's no traffic involved.

Do accidents happen, yes. Do they sometimes get caused by stupid people racing, yes. My point is there are many other things that cause way more accidents and we ignore that because its easier to pick and chose the things we think we're above.
We can be adults and differentiate between the two and in no way does anything we discuss indicate that the forum condones it.
Very well said.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Keep the post on topic bickering will not be tolerated. this is a section to post about racing! Lets keep it that way :) Some of my kills are linked below ;)
Wow you've been busy getting it in...I didn't watch all of them yet but thanks for the link. I always love watching racing videos. Also, I guess we're allowed to talk about racing freely now? This would be a very welcome change of policy.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yep!

"I get the safe driving pitch and I know we alllll go to church on Sunday, eat our broccoli, and all that but political correctness aside, I think we all like a run every now and then or we'd all be posting in the accent forum. "

OH SNAP!
hey now

·
Registered
477 Posts
What the in the name of BOB <---(like how i did that) Do u have in that sonata vettes mustangs, i mean some of them car stock should win.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts