Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a late 2007 i30 petrol with the G4GC6 engine.

On first startup or when it has been sitting for a couple of hours the top end of the engine is quite noisy, very like the old 4 cyl Mitsubishi Magna used to be.

Does anybody have similar experience ?

I suspect the timing chain tensioner but am interested in others experiences.

The dealer thought it may be tappet clearances but I've checked those and they're fine.

Any thoughts

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm guessing the K's are starting to climb up there on a 2007 build. These engines run a toothed rubber timing belt with manual tensioner adjustment, the tension is set on belt instal then locked, has the timing belt and tensioner been changed as per Hyundai schedule? This is very important on these engines as a snapped belt means a major engine rebuild. What oil grade are you running? Most if not all of the usual rattle/chuckle and scuffing noises can be quietened by simply going to a slightly heavier oil. If you are running the 5W or 10W stuff up there in Queensland you may find 15W40 or even 20W50 (all grades listed in your Hyundai operators manual) cures your ills. It helps worn Variable camshaft timing actuators maintain pressure as well helping tired lifters stay solid. If you are already running heavier oil you may need to check the oil filter for drain back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that Ray.

My vehicle has only done 83K and I'm about to replace the timing belt and tensioner.
My concern is relating to the tensioner on the variable valve timing chain at the back of the motor.
I am running Penrite full ester synthetic 10W40 and a genuine Hyundai oil filter.
The thought of a poor flow back valve is an interesting one.
Has anybody experienced problems with the genuine oil filters?

Has anyone found a really good one ?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm not sure where that tensioner gets it's oil, but the variable camshaft timing actuator that advances/retards the exhaust camshaft gets it's oil through a strainer/filter located in the head. When looking at the front of the motor you will see a 17mm AF head bolt near the right hand side of the head just near the top radiator hose, this is a mesh filter that can catch sludge and restrict flow. This may be the cause of some of the top engine rattles that these engines suffer from. 10W40 is probably about the right grade, my wifes accent suffers from 5 years of dealer installed 10W30, 5W30 and 'engine flushes' every service and now needs 15W40 to keep the top end quiet. Any brand name oil filter is fine, as long as they have a non return valve fitted, usually a silicon rubber seal visible through the outer ring of holes in the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts