Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an 01 V6 at auction with 128K miles. At cold start up there is no noise.
After 30 seconds a clicking/tapping sound begins. Ran one quart of flush thru for 5 minutes & changed to 5W synthetic.

Best I can tell once the car is moving above a few MPH the noise is either gone or reduced. There is a lot of gunk in the engine. PO did not change oil often, both crankcase vent hoses are full of gunk & you can see gunk at oil cap.

Does this sound like Lash Adjuster or cam chain guides? Its hard to isolate the sound but it does seem to eminate from #3 cylinder.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Bought an 01 V6 at auction with 128K miles. At cold start up there is no noise.
After 30 seconds a clicking/tapping sound begins. Ran one quart of flush thru for 5 minutes & changed to 5W synthetic.

Best I can tell once the car is moving above a few MPH the noise is either gone or reduced. There is a lot of gunk in the engine. PO did not change oil often, both crankcase vent hoses are full of gunk & you can see gunk at oil cap.

Does this sound like Lash Adjuster or cam chain guides? Its hard to isolate the sound but it does seem to eminate from #3 cylinder.
First off, you have a timing belt, not a chain. You might try using Sea Foam to de-gunk your engine. I've never used it, but have heard some people swear by it. Just curious, what did you get it for at auction?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paid $2000.

It does have camshaft chains which have upper & lower guides that wear if the chains stretch.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
You be better off using ATF for crud cutter, as ATF is light weight oil full of detergents, where flush stuff is not a lubricant...

Tappets make random tick/peck sound, the cam chains will rattle/hash... you can remove the covers, and use finger to feel chain tension. Ideally the chains when new are "piano string" tight.. if they loose. you'll know. Minor lash ok, flopping be excessive.

If you do the chains, replace the sprockets, chains, both set of guides, and keys, cam cover gasket sets

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You be better off using ATF for crud cutter, as ATF is light weight oil full of detergents, where flush stuff is not a lubricant...

Tappets make random tick/peck sound, the cam chains will rattle/hash... you can remove the covers, and use finger to feel chain tension. Ideally the chains when new are "piano string" tight.. if they loose. you'll know. Minor lash ok, flopping be excessive.

If you do the chains, replace the sprockets, chains, both set of guides, and keys, cam cover gasket sets
My ears lean towards chains being the culprit and rattle is one aspect of the noise. It does have rhythm to it.
I will run some ATF next change in 4000K miles. How long do you run ATF.

I did use OEM oil filter.

Thanks sbr

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Dont fill it full of ATF, if mild mud, 1/2qt ATF and fill remainder with motor oil.. Mobil-1 synthetic will help cut mud some better than pain oil too..

I have dumped 1qt ATF and finish fill with oil in heavy sluge engine, but it going to need change sooner as the mud dissolves into the oil.. look at oikl and change accordingly. Good long trip where engine stays at speed with hot oil fly around helps more than the short hop drives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts