Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2015 Sonata at a Hyundai dealership. The car was listed as a "certified" car on the website.

At closing, I'm told that it costs more to get the certification. I was upset because my assumption is that when a car is described as "certified" online, it means the certification is included in the listed price. In other words, the car is being sold as a certified car at the advertised price.

The sales manager claimed that their website just meant that the car is "certifiable," not that certification is included.

Question:

Is this normal? I realize perhaps different car makers do this differently.

It doesn't seem right to me. Feels like false advertising.

·
Registered
333 Posts
If it was advertised as Certified, then it should be sold Certified at that price. Contact you States Attorney for false advertising, complete a Yelp Review and report to the BBB. Also if you paid the extra, contact you Local TV on your Side so they can get you your money back.

Certifiable my a$$

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,604 Posts
False leader to get you into buy the car. If its not illegal it should be, but the local MBZ dealership in my area did this as well. I went in to buy a 2012 C250 "CPO and when going over the final numbers they tried to slip in a $ 500 CPO inspection and certificate. They told me the same as you described that the car is advertised as being able to be CPO but to get it costs more. It is no different than them trying to sell you an extended warranty. I argued that if the car was already inspected and could get the CPO certificate why was I being charged for it. They did drop the charge and I got the car.

If the dealer you are at is not willing to work with you , go elsewhere they are not being honest with you and have already tacked on other extras that are not worth anything

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would have walked away at that point unless they sold it to me for the agreed price. I think it's common for a CPO to cost more than a non-CPO car but that additional charge shouldn't be sprung upon you when you're signing the final paperwork.

Most CPO vehicles come with some sort of additional warranty that no doubt costs the dealer some money. When I was negotiating on a CPO Civic for my daughter last year, I was ready to walk away from a deal when the local Honda dealer offered to take $1,000 off if I bought it as a non-CPO without the extra warranty. It was tempting but still found a better deal somewhere else.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Never be afraid of walking out if things are not what you expect. I would give them a BIG ear full as I started toward the door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts