Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone out there applied a ceramic coating to your car if if so what brand, and how has it held up? I see them all over facebook with prices ranging from $10 on sale to the ridiculous price of $150. Average price seems to be $20-$30

·
Registered
419 Posts
Thanks for the lead - I haven't heard before about this. As far as I got it, "ceramic" is nothing more than buzz word. Before any moves, I'd check it out how this extra coating affects color match when you have to leave your car in body shop. If shop painters do not mind, I'd take a risk on a small sample first.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've had my car polished and ceramic coated in the past ~6 months. Professionally, which cost me about $750 since I didn't trust myself with polishing my car properly. The ceramic coating is basically supposed to act like another "clear coat" layer and makes it easier to maintain the paint. CQuartz, Opti-coat, and some others are the main names that come to mind. Look over at the autodetailing subreddit on preferred coatings/proper applications/etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my car polished and ceramic coated in the past ~6 months. Professionally, which cost me about $750 since I didn't trust myself with polishing my car properly. The ceramic coating is basically supposed to act like another "clear coat" layer and makes it easier to maintain the paint. CQuartz, Opti-coat, and some others are the main names that come to mind. Look over at the autodetailing subreddit on preferred coatings/proper applications/etc.

I’m considering having a shop do CQuartz on my 2018 sonata. I know the cars come with a 3 year paint warranty etc. so I’m curious about if Hyundai would consider paint coatings as warranty voiders. Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
I’m considering having a shop do CQuartz on my 2018 sonata. I know the cars come with a 3 year paint warranty etc. so I’m curious about if Hyundai would consider paint coatings as warranty voiders. Any thoughts on this?

Oh honestly I completely forgot about the 3 year paint warranty. I'd assume if you ever run into any problems with the factory paint, just omit having ceramic coating done.

Also, if you don't know/want to paint correct your own car, I did think about having paint correction professionally done, then ceramic coating the car myself (videos on youtube; not as tricky as getting the hang of polishing paint). I might do this in a few years when I get the coating done again. Or maybe try polishing since I do have all the supplies, just not the confidence:(

Reactions: krobson17

·
Registered
48 Posts
Oh honestly I completely forgot about the 3 year paint warranty. I'd assume if you ever run into any problems with the factory paint, just omit having ceramic coating done.

Also, if you don't know/want to paint correct your own car, I did think about having paint correction professionally done, then ceramic coating the car myself (videos on youtube; not as tricky as getting the hang of polishing paint). I might do this in a few years when I get the coating done again. Or maybe try polishing since I do have all the supplies, just not the confidence:(

Fair enough. “What ceramic coating? I don’t know anything about a ceramic coating”

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ceramic coating is available for the consumer or professional. Consumer grade coating can last up to 1+ yr. Professional detailers have in their arsenal the ones that can last 2+ yrs.

You have to clay, polish and ensure that the paint is as good as it can be before applying the ceramic coating, it can be a pain if applied incorrectly.

They also have waxes/sealants that are ceramic infused which is easier to apply. May last up to 1 yr, depending on the environment and care of the vehicle.
Autogeek, Autopia are good sources for the process and product informations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts