Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, has anyone seen an aftermarket insert for the factory cup holders. We generally only need them to hold a soft drink can or standard size paper (read McDonalds) cup most of the time but they are way too big and therefore next to useless. I'm hoping there is a drop in insert available somewhere. It would appear they are made for the huge gulp and blow supersize cups or large drink bottles so anything normal is going to fall over and spill.

Gavin

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
QUOTE (fester2au @ Aug 20 2010, 11:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350813
Hey guys, has anyone seen an aftermarket insert for the factory cup holders. We generally only need them to hold a soft drink can or standard size paper (read McDonalds) cup most of the time but they are way too big and therefore next to useless. I'm hoping there is a drop in insert available somewhere. It would appear they are made for the huge gulp and blow supersize cups or large drink bottles so anything normal is going to fall over and spill.

Gavin
I purchased a while ago a Holder for my iPhone. It was supplied with these foam sleeves that make a standard size (like a can of soda) fit one of those super large cup holders (like we have). It works great.It was made by Belikn. I also see a foam sleeve that is sold to keep beverages cold, I am sure that will work also.

·
Registered
31 Posts
QUOTE (fester2au @ Aug 20 2010, 11:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350813

Gavin
Mine came with a removeable insert, which holds a standard 12 oz. soda can perfectly. The only problem with it is that it holds it higher so it's still a little tippy.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Having owned a gen1 Santa Fe and a 2006 Sportage, I also am confused at Hyundai's lack of effort on the entire center console, from the drink holders to the single-bin armrest. A $28K car shouldn't be lacking something so elementary as these.

After reading this post, I found this online:

http://drinkdocker.com/

It looks like it would do the trick. After watching the video on how to determine what size you would need, it looks like one medium and one large would do it. They cost $9.99 each, plus $6.50 total shipping. I might try them to see if they work. (They can't be worse than what we have now!) And, yes, I did get the (worthless) insert piece with mine. I am not sure what the purpose of it is. If it's for cans, the cupholders themselves are deep enough to hold them without too much tipping problem, but seriously, I have a can of soda once in a blue moon. I admit it: I am a 44 OZ. junkie at the C-store! The front cupholder does OK for these, but my wife's coffee cups leave a ton to be desired.

tim B)

PS- Welcome to the family, Gavin!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (boltguy @ Aug 21 2010, 07:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350940
Mine came with a removeable insert, which holds a standard 12 oz. soda can perfectly. The only problem with it is that it holds it higher so it's still a little tippy.
TheCEO's '10 Tuck Limited, also came with a 2 hole bev holder, with the forward hole having that insert; holds Nissan Thermos cup well,
along with other containers.
GL, mD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any of you US guys able to get me a photo. Would seem it may be an overseas market thing, we got a removeable ashtray which sits in one of our spots here is Aus. Totally useless if you are not a smoker so don't know why they even bother, let the smokers buy one if they need it and give me a useable cup holder instead. Bit like having to buy the genuine Hyundai iPod cable to be able to use the iPod connectivity. As far as I'm concerned it does not have iPod connectivity if you can't plug it in straight off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (fester2au @ Aug 24 2010, 02:52 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=351534
Any of you US guys able to get me a photo. ... Bit like having to buy the genuine Hyundai iPod cable to be able to use the iPod connectivity. As far as I'm concerned it does not have iPod connectivity if you can't plug it in straight off the showroom floor.

As I mentioned, our '10 Tuck Limited came with a cupholder insert, and an Ipod cable.
(We may be the only people on the planet w/out an Ipod, :grin: .)
NEway, took some quick snaps this eve...too lazy to upload them to Photobucket or
Flickr, so here are thumbs.
GL, mD

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Our GLS with PEP also came with an insert that fits snuggly in the built-in cup holder and holds cans or coffee cups perfectly. It and an iPod cable also was in the glove box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys from South Africa, mine came supplied with the ipod cable and ashtray. Yuck cant believe people still smoke. If you remove the top of the ashtray holder it actually hold most tins and bottles. problem solved for me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
QUOTE (Kritzie @ Sep 2 2010, 05:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=353772
Hi guys from South Africa, mine came supplied with the ipod cable and ashtray. Yuck cant believe people still smoke. If you remove the top of the ashtray holder it actually hold most tins and bottles. problem solved for me.
I don't smoke either, but would have loved to have an ash tray in my Tucson as I have always used it for a coin holder. I'm in the USA. Where exactly is the ash tray on your Tucson. I do have a place to put my IPOD or cell phone which is the flat area in front of the cupholders and behind the shift, but I don't have an ash tray! I asked about it when Ipurchased the car and they said the Tucson did not come with it.

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Frank1203 @ Sep 4 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=354339
I don't smoke either, but would have loved to have an ash tray in my Tucson as I have always used it for a coin holder. I'm in the USA. Where exactly is the ash tray on your Tucson. I do have a place to put my IPOD or cell phone which is the flat area in front of the cupholders and behind the shift, but I don't have an ash tray! I asked about it when Ipurchased the car and they said the Tucson did not come with it.
Hey, Frank. I've checked out the foreign models of the Tucson/ix35, and it appears that they simply used one of the two cup holders as the ashtray. Other than the push-button start (and the fact that they've placed the steering wheel on the wrong side :eek: ), it doesn't appear to be any different than our USA models. What I wish for is someone to make a two-bin top for our center console that we could replace ours with, so it looks more like the Santa Fe. This one bin is practically worthless for small items like change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey guys these crappy cup holders are starting to annoy me. Retrieved the ashtray from the junk pile and removed the lid to use it for cups etc but it is too small, it won't allow a can to sit in the bottom as it's too tight and take away coffee cups are the same.

Next time someone is at their dealers would you mind seeing if they have a part number for the insert you guys overseas got so I can get our local dealer to see if they can get it and at what price. I know there are aftermarket options around but for things like this I normally prefer to source factory options before venturing into the often tacky world of aftermarket add-ons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i just got a 2012 gls and thats the first thing i noticed.
Has anyone come up with a solution to the giant cupholders?

·
Registered
590 Posts
i just got a 2012 gls and thats the first thing i noticed.
Has anyone come up with a solution to the giant cupholders?
Get a bigger beverage? ;)

I like them.........I even took out the insert on the front one.
We have our beverages <cold> in thermal chillers so they fit perfect in the Tucson holders.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They included that cup holder in mine as well, and I think it works fine for me.

What i really like with the big opening and removable cup holder is that its reeeallly easy to clean. It's actually a smart solution in my opinion.

But I agree that its a shame for 30k+ theres no dual arm rest storage... stay tuned for an update on an arm rest modifcation you guys might like.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts