Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me say I have had my Trajet for nearly 2.5 years now, bought it privately used, gave me trouble free motoring for all of the last 6 months, had to replace the front pipe and cat a few months ago, usual oil changes etc, other than that, it's been great!
Recently I have had a problem with the central locking on the car, the back hatch door was not locking at all when using the Key Fob (with no flashing light) and I discovered if I locked it manually with the key, light would flash and immobiliser was set correctly.
Over the last week there have been 2 occasions the back door sensor has failed, i get the light on the instrument panel telling me the door is open when in fact it was closed (checked) I could usually remedy this by manually locking the latch by hand then unlocking with the key, however last night, when I went to lock the car up for the night, the door light was back on again, I tried the trick I had before except this time when I finally went to lock the door, when locking with the key, instead of the flashing light for the immobiliser, the rear tail lights came on (only when I turned the key to the left to lock the back hatch)
Now by this time i thought wtf? I mean I planned to fix the problem ASAP, just got alot of other things on my plate at the moment!
Anyways, after that, the central locking would not work at all, immobiliser wasnt starting and I had to lock the each door manually, so I locked it all up and left it for the night.
This morning, the car's battery was almost completely drained, car wouldnt start at all! I figured one of the systems that factor in key-off current drain is responsible and the locking/immobiliser the most likely suspect (what a coincidence!)
Got a jump start, checked the charging voltage of the car whilst running and thats around 14v, so I figure the alternators ok, after taking the car for a run for a few miles and bringing it back home, it has held it's voltage for most of the day but gradually dropped from around 12.9v to just under 9.5, now as far as I remember, if a battery drops more than 1 or 2v from full, it's flat, so, do I need a new battery? I don't think so, anyone care to shed some light on this?
I don't actually have a battery charger I can test the battery with disconnected, otherwise I would charge it up and leave it a day to see if it's discharging itself.
I think something with the immobiliser is drawing current from the battery when the car is shut off (bad relay maybe?), i'd appreciate any help on this one, never seen this before (i'm an aussie living in Scotland for the last 4 years, before then I had old school v8 muscle, no computers in sight!)

Could it be faulty ETACS unit? Or dead battery? When I sit in the car, it seems as though there is a ticking noise coming from the back of the fuse box, are they relays? I got no idea tbh.

EDIT: I replaced the battery with a new one today (the old one was the original hyundai battery, so I guess 9 years from a battery isn't too bad, lol) and everything bar the rear door actuator is working (I have a complete rear door from a broken trajet in my shed) so I guess it was the battery after all!
Anyone reading this, I will update the post again tommorrow for confirmation the battery is holding charge (in case you have a trajet doing funky **** with the central locking)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok just to confirm, it was indeed the battery gone, checked this morning and the new one is holding strong! 12.67 volts :D, it's testament to hyundai's choice of battery, for the original one to last nine years from factory is actually amazing!
Mods please close this topic if you want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts