Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Questions.
1.How fast can you go with center did lock turned on? I read somewhere that it could damage our cause stress if you travel too fast with center diff lock turned on.
2. Is awd model full time awd? Or is it only fwd until you turn on center diff lock

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
1.How fast can you go with center did lock turned on? I read somewhere that it could damage our cause stress if you travel too fast with center diff lock turned on.
Owner's Manual pg 315 or 5-23

From the manual:

This mode automatically begins to deactivate at speeds above 30 km/h (19 mph) and is shifted to AWD AUTO mode at speed above 40 km/h (25 mph). If the vehicle decelerates to speeds below 30 km/h (19 mph), however, the transfer mode is shifted into AWD LOCK mode again.

When driving on normal roads, deactivate the AWD LOCK mode by pushing the AWD LOCK button (the indicator light goes off). Driving on normal roads with AWD LOCK mode(especially, when cornering) may cause mechanical noise or vibration. The noise and vibration will disappear when the AWD LOCK mode is deactivated. Some parts of the power train may be damaged by prolonged driving with the noise and vibration.

2. Is awd model full time awd? Or is it only fwd until you turn on center diff lock
No, not full time AWD. It's "AWD AUTO" aka part time AWD --FWD but when slippage is detected it'll then engage the rear. “transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip.”

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Owner's Manual pg 315 or 5-23

From the manual:

This mode automatically begins to deactivate at speeds above 30 km/h (19 mph) and is shifted to AWD AUTO mode at speed above 40 km/h (25 mph). If the vehicle decelerates to speeds below 30 km/h (19 mph), however, the transfer mode is shifted into AWD LOCK mode again.

When driving on normal roads, deactivate the AWD LOCK mode by pushing the AWD LOCK button (the indicator light goes off). Driving on normal roads with AWD LOCK mode(especially, when cornering) may cause mechanical noise or vibration. The noise and vibration will disappear when the AWD LOCK mode is deactivated. Some parts of the power train may be damaged by prolonged driving with the noise and vibration.

No, not full time AWD. It's "AWD AUTO" aka part time AWD --FWD but when slippage is detected it'll then engage the rear. “transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip.”
so i can leave it on at any speed and it won't hurt?

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
so i can leave it on at any speed and it won't hurt?
That's my understanding. I left mine on going 40+ mph. There was no indication that it was off or on. The light was still on due to the button being depressed. So that's about it.

If you truly want it on all the time you could mod it like this Subaru guy did for his for when he goes overlanding.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is no centre diff in the Santa Fe XL. AWD LOCK activates the rear AWD coupler, which is an electrically operated clutch.

What this car has in the centre is a simple transfer case. The rear driveshaft spins at all times regardless of whether AWD LOCK is turned on. This is also why one should NOT lock the AWD when the tires cannot slip (such as driving on dry asphalt).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is no centre diff in the Santa Fe XL. AWD LOCK activates the rear AWD coupler, which is an electrically operated clutch.

What this car has in the centre is a simple transfer case. The rear driveshaft spins at all times regardless of whether AWD LOCK is turned on. This is also why one should NOT lock the AWD when the tires cannot slip (such as driving on dry asphalt).
so by saying rear driveshaft spins all the time you’re saying is its awd full time?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
No, because the rear wheel drive is engaged only when needed. The balance of the time the propeller shaft is doing nothing but turning....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have found the differential lock to be to be of use when turning at low speeds when there is heavy wet snow / slush covering the roadway. The vehicle "seems" to grip / turn SLIGHTLY better than when left in the auto position.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
2019 models would be in their own forum I believe. My two are a 2015 SFS and a 2017 long. Even when locked these vehicles are not true 4WD, but in my opinion the lock does help under certain conditions......

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Sure, there is no true center diff but that coupler does essentially the same function by engaging the rear wheels at low speeds.

The clutch does all the magic.

DM LWB are 2013 to 2019. TM no longer have LWB so its simply 19+ - makes it all the more confusing if you're basing it of the model year.

It wouldn't hurt but you'd really only want to turn on the lock when you're looking for more traction... Usually stuck somewhere. Otherwise I'd let the computer do the thinking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sure, there is no true center diff but that coupler does essentially the same function by engaging the rear wheels at low speeds.

The clutch does all the magic.

DM LWB are 2013 to 2019. TM no longer have LWB so its simply 19+ - makes it all the more confusing if you're basing it of the model year.

It wouldn't hurt but you'd really only want to turn on the lock when you're looking for more traction... Usually stuck somewhere. Otherwise I'd let the computer do the thinking.
Thanks for the explanation. I’m still little bit confused. If computer does it four you what is the difference between ours vs HTRAC

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I’m still little bit confused. If computer does it four you what is the difference between ours vs HTRAC
HTRAC is more like full time AWD but with presets so you can change up the power distribution. I believe normal mode is more balanced while sport mode is 10% front, 90% rear. There is also a smart mode that will distribute the power accordingly. Thus all the wheels are always engaged just that the distribution of power can be changed up so its not symmetrical awd like some Subarus. Although now Kia has a drift mode that sends 100% power to the rear wheels...

·
Registered
104 Posts
HTRAC is full-time AWD while whatever is on the Santa Fe XL is part-time AWD with automatic switching.

Can't tell you which one is better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was driving on forest service roads with a foot of snow. I did get stuck couple times but soon as i turned on center diff lock i got out pretty easy. Im on 19’s all season tires

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was driving on forest service roads with a foot of snow. I did get stuck couple times but soon as i turned on center diff lock i got out pretty easy. Im on 19’s all season tires
i was in a bit of mud recently on off road tires. Got mildly stuck - then locked the differential and drove right out. Works pretty good and I think it changes the electronic nanny’s as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was in a bit of mud recently on off road tires. Got mildly stuck - then locked the differential and drove right out. Works pretty good and I think it changes the electronic nanny’s as well.
Does our cars have snow mode? I know in my genesis when you hold drive mode cor couple seconds it goes into snow mode. I dont have the santa fe with me to test this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Does our cars have snow mode? I know in my genesis when you hold drive mode cor couple seconds it goes into snow mode. I dont have the santa fe with me to test this.
I don’t think so. Only thing I know on driving modes is normal, sport and eco.

for off road there is the diff lock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts