Hyundai Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm a newbie here and a newbie with a 2012 2.0T with less then 11,000 miles that I bought 1 week ago. I have a lot to learn about this car. So I have a few newbie questions:

1. Where exactly is this smart key port?
2. How do you pop open the key FOB and change the battery?
3. After changing the key FOB battery is there any re-programming or re-learning for the smart key or is it just change the CR2032 and go?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm a newbie here and a newbie with a 2012 2.0T with less then 11,000 miles that I bought 1 week ago. I have a lot to learn about this car. So I have a few newbie questions:

1. Where exactly is this smart key port?
2. How do you pop open the key FOB and change the battery?
3. After changing the key FOB battery is there any re-programming or re-learning for the smart key or is it just change the CR2032 and go?

Thanks!

Good questions... I bought my 2012 Sonata Turbo brand new and didn't even know about the key fob port until I just read it here a few minutes ago. The salesman either forgot to tell me about it or declined to tell me but regardless, it's been rectified now. Both of my fobs quit working on me this week and I thought I was screwed because I couldn't get my car to start. Thanks to this forum though I found it and was able to start the car.

1. Inside the center console on the front panel. Open your console and look at the side closest to the dash, it's there kinda tucked in a little ways. Insert the fob and if it lights up green then your car is reading it and it'll start right up.

2. Get a flat head screwdriver, dime, penny or use the removable key like I did. Remove the manual key, and you'll see a slot. Insert the instrument you're using there, twist and WALLA... it'll pop right open :D

3. Once you change the battery that should be it. The dealership does any programming/re-programming needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2011 Sonata Turbo with 115,000 miles. I have known about the console port since I bought the car but had only plugged it in once just to test the fit. A few weeks ago I noticed that I could no longer either open the trunk or unlock the car with the buttons and then the car would not start. Plugged the fob in and viola, it worked. I then took my fob to "Batteries Plus" and they were able to replace the battery in my fob and for a few dollars more, a total of about $15, also got a lifetime battery replacement for both fobs even with only changing the one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow...

I am shocked at how long this thread went on. The port DOES NOT CHARGE THE FOB. The port is a common feature in cars with proximity keys. When the battery in the key is functioning, the key emits active RF signals. However the key also has passive RF in it, just like a ID badge for a secure building. You can also place the fob just to the left of the start button and it should detect it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For the 2012 Azera - to start the engine with a dead key battery, press the smart key ITSELF to the START/STOP ENGINE button (not your finger) and press to start the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Shiz20 @ Apr 2 2011, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=424521

+1 if your car doesn't open if you push your unlock key then the battery is low. Then you would charge it in your center console. Also from what I read is that your car will tell you as well.
The port only lets you start your car if the key is dead, that's the only function the port has, it does not charge your key whatsoever. Hope this helps 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (Shiz20 @ Apr 2 2011, 08:03 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=424521

+1 if your car doesn't open if you push your unlock key then the battery is low. Then you would charge it in your center console. Also from what I read is that your car will tell you as well.
The port only lets you start your car if the key is dead, that's the only function the port has, it does not charge your key whatsoever. Commenting from personal experience. Hope this helps 😁

·
Registered
1 Posts
IF this has been covered in another thread, I apologize in advance. Can anyone explain what the Smart Key Port inside the center console is for? Hopefully not to arm the Nuclear Self Destruct System. Really, Anyone care to elaborate?

Thanks Y'all...
It DOESN'T CHARGE the smart key. If your smart key is dead and/or won't start the car, you can insert smart key into the center console port to start the car (2011 Sonata Manual 5-10)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts