Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! I just bought a used 2012 Elantra GLS with 24K miles. I tested almost every possible function of the car before I bought it however I didn't try out the 2 power outlets expecting them to both work on a car with only 24k miles.

Anyway, the center console outlet doesn't work. I'd like to check the fuse box first thing in the morning. I work night shift so I won't be able to get to it til then.

Any other things I should look for?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Any other things I should look for?
More than likely it's the fuse. It's a 15 amp located in the fuse panel just to the left of the steering column and easy to locate and there are a few spare fuses in the fuse panel. If it's not the fuse, the inside of the socket might be damaged or possibly not connected. Since the car is used, never know if someone had dismantled that panel area for some reason at an earlier time.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Also just so you know, the ignition has to be in either the ON or accessory positions to work. When the key is off, the power outlets are off, also.

·
22,788 Posts
People trade vehicles for any number of reasons. I traded a 2011 silver Limited with gray leather because I fell in love with a 2013 white limited with black leather.

I'd suspect the fuse, but only after testing the plug with the ignition switch in the "ACC" or "ON" position like the guys, above, stated. Not that familiar with the "warranty provisions" for the second owner on a 1-year old car with 24,000 miles on the clock. Someone on this forum knows.

Let us know what you discover. BTW, the fuse puller is located in a fuse box under the hood next to the battery. It makes removing those little fuses behind the dash a lot less stressful if you don't have any needle nose pliers. Be sure you return it to its original resting place.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the quick reply guys! Unfortunately I haven't had time to check it out as I had to work an extra night shift due to patient load.

Thanks for the warm welcome as well!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I took out the 15A fuse and it looked ok. Switched that fuse out with the spare and still nothing.

Does that fuse power up both power outlets? The power outlet on the passenger side is the only one that works.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounding more like the plug on the back
I agree!

I looked at mine and possibly the power receptacle will just pop out using a plastic flat tool. I have never disassembled that section so I can't say for sure just how the receptacle fits in or exactly where the connector is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've been trying to post this help, but the forum's system kept preventing me from logging on.
The 12v power outlet inside the console (by the AUX inputs) is powered from a
20A fuse labeled C/LIGHTER. Check it:

·
22,788 Posts
You da man, now. Not quite ready for your SAE Certification, but you've taken a first step towards being on your way! ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Happy to have helped out. Such things as the problem you had problem makes this forum an invaluable resource.
This Forum is a treasure trove of vital info. Thanks for taking the time.
I think it's funny that there is still a reference to a cigarette lighter especially when there is no actual lighter provided. Why not call the center receptacle fuse, Power Recept/Center?

·
Registered
93 Posts
You da man, now. Not quite ready for your SAE Certification, but you've taken a first step towards being on your way! ;)
So when do I get promoted from...(ahem)...>Junior Member<

:D

Maybe one more post...:confused:

Actually Gator, it was someone else's earlier post about that cig lighter that made me look, so I really can only take partial credit. But hey! We're all in this together!

·
22,788 Posts
I think you get your "Senior Merit Badge" at the 100th post. Confetti blows out of your phone's charging port, laptop, something. After that you just get old and become a senior! (Not that I would know anything about that!) LOL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts