Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was considering a '21 N trim sonata until I sat in one. Found the center console right hitting on right knee or just below the knee with the seat properly adjusted. I'm 6' tall so not excessively tall.

I have the same problem in a late model accord. How are other 6' tall drivers dealing with this?

·
Registered
665 Posts
clearly nearly every single being sits differently or has different body lengths or different tolerances. I am 6' 3" and have no issues. Good that you sat in one before you purchased..

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been down this road before. It's actually one of the first things I now look at before even leaving the lot. I must have unusual ergonomics to have issues with all these popular cars :)

·
Registered
22 Tuscan SEL ;21 Sonata N Line
320 Posts
Yeap for those with big Cohenas that sit with their legs wide open. It can be an issue. Ironically the 22 Tuscan has the same issue for me but the touch screen on the high end trim levels touched my right knee when I test drove one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol... Honestly, until..... ~2019, I never had this issue with other cars. Current car is a 2015 accord which fits just fine. The G37 sedan (6mt) which was a smaller car also fit very well. In fact, in that car I had to sit closer to be able to fully depress the full clutch pedal.

The local hyundai outfit had a g70 which fit just fine. Actually wouldn't mind it, but smaller rear seat legroom, trunk and poorer gas mileage are a turn off. I realized I don't want to get into an suv, even a compact suv. Can't corner in those like you can a car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the center console hitting on right knee or just below the knee with the seat properly adjusted. I'm 6' tall so not excessively tall.

Same here but Im used to it now.
My head grazes the ceiling sometimes too. Shoppers >6'1' should definitely test sit in this car for a bit before buying

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lol... Honestly, until..... ~2019, I never had this issue with other cars. Current car is a 2015 accord which fits just fine. The G37 sedan (6mt) which was a smaller car also fit very well. In fact, in that car I had to sit closer to be able to fully depress the full clutch pedal.

The local hyundai outfit had a g70 which fit just fine. Actually wouldn't mind it, but smaller rear seat legroom, trunk and poorer gas mileage are a turn off. I realized I don't want to get into an suv, even a compact suv. Can't corner in those like you can a car.
Unfortunately gravity takes its toll in the wrong places.

I'm 5' 7" and my head hits the roof getting in. Don't feel so bad. 🤣😭

·
Registered
665 Posts
the center console hitting on right knee or just below the knee with the seat properly adjusted. I'm 6' tall so not excessively tall.

My head grazes the ceiling sometimes too. Shoppers >6'1' should definitely test sit in this car for a bit before buying
you must be all torso my man....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to have to stop by again and play around at length with the seat, maybe I can find a proper position. I generally prefer to sit up high (head 2-3" away from headliner). FWIW, without getting too specific, 6' tall, 32" inseam. Width wise the seats seemed ok :)

Also, it worth it to test drive one too. Static position standing still vs when driving is not entirely the same.

·
Registered
2021 Stormy Sea Santa Fe Calligraphy 2.5L Turbo HTRAC 20" wheels
320 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went to a different dealer that had an N not subject to the recall (according to mgr). Actually, just now looking at the nhtsa recall notice 21V-524, appears they all are subject to it. Maybe this one has already been examined.

Anyways, played with the seat at length and found a suitable position. It's not 100%, but probably 90% good enough. Off to the test drive. Really impressed with the power and handling for a fwd car. Did notice some of the abrupt downshifting when coming to a stop mentioned else where. Brakes were surprisingly strong.

Got to drive the car on the highway too. I should mention, pre test drive, I turn off all the nannies. On the highway (local too), at speeds above 40 mph, I notice the need to constantly apply minor steering corrections. This is the same issue I had with the kia s<u>x a decade earlier - enough to the point where I unloaded the car at a loss as I just couldn't deal with that.

Maybe the intention is for the computer to keep it centered. I didn't try it with the lane keep assist (or hyundai's equivalent) enabled. My expectation is for a car to drive straight on its own. It's really too bad. I would have thought after a decade kia/hyundai would get this straightened out. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this coming from vehicles without this 'feature'. I was ready to talk numbers too, but just couldn't shake the hassle I had with the kia before and knew this would bug the **** out of me.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2021 Sonata N-line, 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited
88 Posts
Went to a different dealer that had an N not subject to the recall (according to mgr). Actually, just now looking at the nhtsa recall notice 21V-524, appears they all are subject to it. Maybe this one has already been examined.

Anyways, played with the seat at length and found a suitable position. It's not 100%, but probably 90% good enough. Off to the test drive. Really impressed with the power and handling for a fwd car. Did notice some of the abrupt downshifting when coming to a stop mentioned else where. Brakes were surprisingly strong.

Got to drive the car on the highway too. I should mention, pre test drive, I turn off all the nannies. On the highway (local too), at speeds above 40 mph, I notice the need to constantly apply minor steering corrections. This is the same issue I had with the kia s<u>x a decade earlier - enough to the point where I unloaded the car at a loss as I just couldn't deal with that.

Maybe the intention is for the computer to keep it centered. I didn't try it with the lane keep assist (or hyundai's equivalent) enabled. My expectation is for a car to drive straight on its own. It's really too bad. I would have thought after a decade kia/hyundai would get this straightened out. Maybe I'm overly sensitive to this coming from vehicles without this 'feature'. I was ready to talk numbers too, but just couldn't shake the hassle I had with the kia before and knew this would bug the **** out of me.

Thoughts?
When I first got mine I too thought it was "hunting" down the road, weaving a little bit (not much) back and forth like a hound dog hunting for a scent. I was planning to have it checked a the first service, but in the meantime it seems to have straightened out (pun intended). Either that or I have become desensitized to it. You might give it a few thousand miles and then see what you think.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I drove the kia to almost 4K miles thinking I'd get used to it. I never did. On every subsequent car purchase since (3) this is one of the first things I look at and always insist a test drive includes interstate. Maybe this wouldn't bother me so much if i multitasked more when driving, but that's not how I drive. Coming from 2 wheels, driving demands 100% focus.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My knee points straight up when I drive.
I am not sure how a knee would hit the center console, unless you are driving with your legs at some odd sideways angle?

·
Registered
159 Posts
My knee points straight up when I drive.
I am not sure how a knee would hit the center console, unless you are driving with your legs at some odd sideways angle?
im all legs, so if i have my seat back far enough to where my knees are up, then it is incredibly uncomfortable for my arms to use the steering wheel. so my knee ends up resting on the shifter column area

·
Registered
320 Posts
How is that even possible?????? I'm 6' 3" and have NEVER EVER hit my head on getting into ANY car EVER in 56 years????
I m

Thoughts?
The brakes are mad 👌🏼

·
Registered
2020 Sonata 1.6T Limited, Stormy Sea w/ tan interior & 2021 Palisade Limited, Burgundy w/ beige int.
221 Posts

My head grazes sometimes too, less often when the pano roof cover is drawn back. There is definitely less headroom in the DN8 Sonata.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No issues here in my N Line. 6'4". Wish I could lower the seat more, that's all. Hair brushes the headliner with nearly every drive.
I always have to have my right foot bent at an angle in any car but even with that I still have several inches between my knee and the center console so I really can't see how anyone is hitting it. The console also sits pretty low vs other cars which helps.
The footwell also has decent space for size 14 sneakers or size 48+ dress shoes. I have had issues with shoe size rubbing against the lower dash in other cars. So far, minor rubbing, slightly better than my previous '16 Sonata.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts