Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of caution to all 2017 Elantra owners:

If you leave a credit card, ID card, License, etc. on top of the center console sliding cover and slide the cover forward, the card or license will disappear in the gap, and fall inside the console.
It would be retrievable only if you disassemble the bottom and sides of the console.
I still have not been able to get my wife's ID card, but I am sure it is in there, somewhere....
Don't let this happen to you!

·
Administrator
2020 Elantra SEL
154 Posts
Thank you for the info. I laid my debit card there the other day until my next stop. I won't be doing it again.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Ha, told myself I have to quit smoking crack by setting my credit card on the console while waiting in a long line at Macs to get a senior's cup of coffee. It slid off and fell between the cracks. To keep people behind me from waiting, pulled another credit card out of my wallet that takes an extra second and put it back.

Rather than trying to find that credit card while driving like that stupid Allstate commercial with that guy looking for his cell phone and rear ending somebody, pulled into the parking area and dug it out.

Really needed that cup of coffee, was getting late and a long day since 5:00 AM in the morning. Also learned by the warnings on the cup, that coffee was hot.

·
Registered
983 Posts
There is a small lip at the back of the door, so if it just slides forward, it is not likely to fall through the crack. OP just had a stroke of bad luck.

·
22,793 Posts
I have a free car wash coupon floating around inside there. It has since expired, but.....

Smart idea giving us a head’s up. Hadn’t even occurred to me to do that. I have since taken to keeping only a pack of gum or my iphone laying in there.

If I had lost a credit card or license inside, there would’ve been some “parts” moving around in that cabin.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Last car with a full bench seat, only had an airbag in the steering wheel, a 92 DeVille, now one on the passenger side, but no way to install one in the center, so then came the center console.

Trained ten kids how to drive with a full bench seat, could sit next to them, grab the steering wheel and even hit the brakes, glad, no more kids with a center console, completely helpless.

Space between the seats and the console are so close, can't even get your fingers down there, wife dropped an earning, only way to get it out is to remove the front seat, watch out for all those wires. Just one example of stuff that can be dropped, never was a problem with a full bench seat is now.

Ha, can remember the good old days with drive-in theaters, could put your arm around that special girl, but also history. Six passenger vehicles are history, only five now. Also terrible to do work under the dash, that shift lever can find a hole on your body and get up in there.

Sure can avoid a headon, but dead meat by being rear ended, should add rear airbags. Took a long time for side air bags, but even with your seat belts on, only good up to 40 mph, people are still getting killed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a small lip at the back of the door, so if it just slides forward, it is not likely to fall through the crack. OP just had a stroke of bad luck.
I had this happen to me twice. If you actually “test” it out the card will slide through 6 times out of 10.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a word of caution to all 2017 Elantra owners:

If you leave a credit card, ID card, License, etc. on top of the center console sliding cover and slide the cover forward, the card or license will disappear in the gap, and fall inside the console.
It would be retrievable only if you disassemble the bottom and sides of the console.
I still have not been able to get my wife's ID card, but I am sure it is in there, somewhere....
Don't let this happen to you!
How did you remove the panels to get into the area to retrieve it?
Karen lost two cards in there in the last week or so. So far, I've found receipts and lottery tickets (no winners) behind the one panel. If I could remove the floor trim panel, I'd have a shot at finding the cards.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.