Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my oil yesterday and noticed the caulk or seam sealer type stuff covering the seams in the engine bay from the factory. Am I being OCD or is anyone else concerned that one day this stuff will wear out? I don't have any pictures right now but will have some after work today.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Yes probably.

In my experience it is GOOD stuff.

What it is ATTACHED TO, however, might rust and fall apart.....with the sealer still stuck tight. ;)

I agree here.. on the OCD part too. That stuff is never going to fail.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, just making sure. I'm subconsciously trying to come up with excuses to pull the engine and shave the bay this winter....

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I'm subconsciously trying to come up with excuses to pull the engine and shave the bay this winter....
You'd better push that back farther into your subconscious I think.......unless you paid cash and can afford to do it again.

Doing that would certainly void your warranty on almost anything engine/transmission related........IF something goes wrong and they have any reasonable evidence of what was done. :(

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You'd better push that back farther into your subconscious I think.......unless you paid cash and can afford to do it again.

Doing that would certainly void your warranty on almost anything engine/transmission related........IF something goes wrong and they have any reasonable evidence of what was done. :(
The car is paid for in full and mine. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram that I use on occasion and a 2004 Honda Civic that I drive daily so this only gets driven on nice days with no rain and nothing but sunshine. I could afford for the downtime but I think I'm going to hold off on it just for the issue of losing the warranty.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Le sigh....:rolleyes:

Please read the link in my signature, especially the section on modifications.

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Le sigh....:rolleyes:

Please read the link in my signature, especially the section on modifications.
How about a brief recap of what part of that might apply to the owner removing and re-installing the ENTIRE engine and transmission from the car ???

I know how warranties work......and don't work....and I speak a little French too Monsieur ! :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
The car is paid for in full and mine. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram that I use on occasion and a 2004 Honda Civic that I drive daily so this only gets driven on nice days with no rain and nothing but sunshine. I could afford for the downtime but I think I'm going to hold off on it just for the issue of losing the warranty.
Irrigardless if its paid off or not kiss the warranty good bye if you do that

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Only if you break something during the process. You can take the whole car apart and put it back together and not void anything.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
These guys are correct, I actually went up to my dealership and spoke with the service manager regarding this. He said that typically Hyundai doesn't like you going in and changing things dramatically like what I'm considering BUT if nothing is broken in the process then the warranty is still in effect. Only if something goes wrong AS A DIRECT RESULT OF WHAT I DO OR CHANGE will they void the warranty on that part and only that part.

·
22,788 Posts
Well said!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Only if something goes wrong AS A DIRECT RESULT OF WHAT I DO OR CHANGE will they void the warranty on that part and only that part.
Absolutely correct. But is STILL is a big gamble.

What if you DO accidentally screw something up......or something goes wrong and they have flimsy evidence that you did it......and you have no evidence that you did NOT do it ?????

Each individual owner has to weigh the potential risks.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Absolutely correct. But is STILL is a big gamble.

What if you DO accidentally screw something up......or something goes wrong and they have flimsy evidence that you did it......and you have no evidence that you did NOT do it ?????

Each individual owner has to weigh the potential risks.
+1

Screwing things up is only one concern. By relocating all of the wiring (and I assume this is what we mean by "shaving") you pretty much negate warranty service on anything related to electricity. The Magnuson-Ross Warranty Act does not give owners a blank cheque to re-engineer the car... only to use aftermarket parts of the correct specification.

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Folks I'm pretty sure gamerguy is well aware of the risks involved here which is why he's been undecided on the idea for awhile now. There's no need to get on him. It's his car and he can do with it what he pleases so let's keep it nice, mmkay? If this continues to spiral downhill I shall not hesitate to close this thread.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Folks I'm pretty sure gamerguy is well aware of the risks involved here which is why he's been undecided on the idea for awhile now. There's no need to get on him. It's his car and he can do with it what he pleases so let's keep it nice, mmkay? If this continues to spiral downhill I shall not hesitate to close this thread.
Thanks Andrew, I knew the risks with posting this and I welcome all opinions but if you feel it's necessary you can close the thread as I am holding off on this. :)

·
22,788 Posts
And here I was...wanting to see just how neat and fresh this mod could look if he did it. I don't see how hiding some of the stuff under there is any worse than what the factory has already hidden or placed out of easily accessible reach for us "do-it-yourself" guys and gals.

Re: seal/joint sealant...I see this stuff on the same level of survival as the cockroach, hot dogs, plastic Wal*Mart sacks and diapers. They will be around 10,000 years from now for archeologists to ponder over about us. :grin:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And here I was...wanting to see just how neat and fresh this mod could look if he did it. I don't see how hiding some of the stuff under there is any worse than what the factory has already hidden or placed out of easily accessible reach for us "do-it-yourself" guys and gals.

Re: seal/joint sealant...I see this stuff on the same level of survival as the cockroach, hot dogs, plastic Wal*Mart sacks and diapers. They will be around 10,000 years from now for archeologists to ponder over about us. :grin:
I agree 10000% with you Rich but I'd rather play it safe for now. I do however have something else planned that will not only validate my OCD but look awesome when finished!

·
Registered
93 Posts

...you forgot to mention McD's French fries. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts