Hyundai Forums banner

Catback Exhaust On 2007 Hyundai Accent

11K views 38 replies 13 participants last post by  bloodninja 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just booked my accent in to get a cat back exhaust system installed. I was just curious if anyone has a cat back exhaust system installed and if so, what differences has it made (power(kw), fuel efficiency and sound wise)? Also what size pipes would you recommend? Thanks! :thumbsup:

#2 ·
I don't think anyone has gotten their car dynoed before and after just a cat as that's really not cost effective, but I can say: noticeably less high rpm restriction (anything above 4k was basically unusable before for me), gas mileage may have gone down 1 MPG but otherwise negligible, sounds awesome. Look at my cardomain (audio clip sucks but it has a link to my thread on here with all the steps I went through. Overall was it worth it? Well, it kept me from immediately selling the car, but I dunno that it really helped as much as I'd hoped.

#5 ·
oh okay so 'less high rpm restriction' your saying you had more power when it came to getting the revs over about 4000rpm? I will look at your page and check it out thanks :thumbsup: alright well i think i will stick with a 2inch pipe, its mandrel bent so i wont need to go bigger from creases in the bends. Im excited about the sound as at the moment with just the cannon muffler its pretty non-aggressive. Im doing my exhaust in stages as it is quiet pricey... so hoping to get a highflow cat and then finally headers and forced induction. What would you say was the most noticeable improvement in power from these few option?

I really appreciate the feedback and opinions :)
I shall let you guys know how the cat back turns out after tomorrow!
cheers

#6 ·
So... bloodninja about the coolant bypass mod, can you explain just quickly what exactly you are changing by doing the mod and how it increases your power so much? Is it a safe mod to do as i dont want to stuff up the engine or anything. And since my car is still under warranty does it void the warranty? Nice page btw! cheers once again

#7 ·
I've done the coolant bypass in the last week as well.
i really cant tell anything, other than my engine performing a bit better.
It Definately cools the engine down alot, from which i was suprised.
Its easily reversible, it takes 5 minutes to put back on, given the proper tools.

#9 ·
i have got my catback exhuast system now installed! =] they put a 2inch system mandrel bent. it has increased the torque and throttle response definately and it sounds a **** of alot more grunty.. so im pretty happy with it. but all i want to do now is more mods haha. anyone think getting a high flow cat is worth while considering its going to cost me about AU$400? cheers

#11 ·
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 4 2010, 10:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329859
Do they even make a catback system? I havent seen any exhaust for this car anywhere.. except the canadian dealer rear section kit.. are you guys all getting custom made exhuasts??
Almost everyone is going custom, it's cheaper than the dealer.

There are some others out there, but not for the hatch.

#13 ·
QUOTE (tunawrx @ Jun 5 2010, 02:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329887
yeah the shop just made a system up for me. most places are pretty reasonably priced too. just ring up a few shops to get some quotes and see how much its going to cost you. best way to go about it.

Just saw the KFX website and they have a catback system for 300$ thats pretty cheap.. does anyone on here have that? Also saw the turbo kit on there... anyone know anything about that or have that as well?

#14 ·
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 5 2010, 02:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329898
Just saw the KFX website and they have a catback system for 300$ thats pretty cheap.. does anyone on here have that? Also saw the turbo kit on there... anyone know anything about that or have that as well?
I believe they're still working on the turbo kit to work with megasquirt and until it's ready it seems like not too many people have bitten the bullet. At least none here. Wang's working on a remote turbo set up but he's been unusually silent on it. Damian's got his own turbo set up and it appears to be one of the few completed turbo Accent projects.

#15 ·
QUOTE (Naky @ Jun 5 2010, 04:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329905
I believe they're still working on the turbo kit to work with megasquirt and until it's ready it seems like not too many people have bitten the bullet. At least none here. Wang's working on a remote turbo set up but he's been unusually silent on it. Damian's got his own turbo set up and it appears to be one of the few completed turbo Accent projects.
Well I don't like that the accent does not have an exhaust tip.. and I dont want to buy a screw on one. Be nice if I could find a bolt on muffler or rear section made for the car. Only one I seen the from the Dealer in Canada and its over 500$ The Kfx pictures look to straight unless its not the actual one for the accent- I wonder if it requires cutting the bumper or what.

#16 ·
QUOTE (JoeyBello @ Jun 5 2010, 11:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329989
Well I don't like that the accent does not have an exhaust tip.. and I dont want to buy a screw on one. Be nice if I could find a bolt on muffler or rear section made for the car. Only one I seen the from the Dealer in Canada and its over 500$ The Kfx pictures look to straight unless its not the actual one for the accent- I wonder if it requires cutting the bumper or what.
Unless it's changed, its either for the 00-06 or the 4-dr. I can't remember the problem, I just remember it doesn't fit the hatch.

#19 ·
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Jun 6 2010, 03:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330401
Maybe they actually got some legit ones in. Last time I checked, EvoFusion and KFXPerformance both had the same catbacks and neither fit any of the 3G cars. Maybe they got new ones :)
That's what it was, I knew it was sumpin'.

#21 ·
Even if it does fit, which would be nice, how loud would it sound? I was planning on buying a Borla Turbo and a glasspack resonator to keep the sound down while still getting good flow, but it would be nice to only spend $300 on their catback instead of 300 + labor on my own system.

#22 ·
I went w/ a custom setup. I have a 2.25" inlet/outlet magnaflow hi-flow cat w/ 2.25" piping (mandrel bent) going back to a knock-off twin loop muffler w/ a 3 or 3.5" outlet. I have gotten nothing but compliments on the sound and it's not too loud on the highway. the cat from autozone was $90, muffler was $100 from some online site (just google twin loop muffler), and the piping and install was only $120 from a local shop.

#23 ·
QUOTE (Sleeper @ Jun 7 2010, 12:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330496
It'd be cool if someone could actually buy it again and see if it actually IS compatible with our cars this time...

I spoke to them yesterday.. I told them WTF! you need to change your page thats misleading and ****.. because no it does not fit our cars! but those idiots have it listed for 06-11. so no it does not fit!

#24 ·
Just go custom, it's about the same price and you can get what you want. I ordered my muffler from Amazon, they stock all that Magnaflow stuff. Any exhaust shop can do it and probably do all the time.

#25 ·
My shop mechanic wants me to go cat-less (it's not illegal here), but I don't think I could stand having a constant CEL on all the time. The increased power and such would be nice, but that light on the gauge would just kill me. He said I could probably find something to fool the O2 sensors, but I doubt it - I've been browsing on these forums for a while now and the way I see it, if none of you have mentioned it by now, it probably doesn't exist.

#26 ·
QUOTE (Naky @ Jun 8 2010, 01:42 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330809
My shop mechanic wants me to go cat-less (it's not illegal here), but I don't think I could stand having a constant CEL on all the time. The increased power and such would be nice, but that light on the gauge would just kill me. He said I could probably find something to fool the O2 sensors, but I doubt it - I've been browsing on these forums for a while now and the way I see it, if none of you have mentioned it by now, it probably doesn't exist.
Not to mention if something actually did go wrong with the car, it'd be more difficult to notice I would imagine. They should really just have a "Emissions CEL" and a "Everything Else CEL" haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.