·
Registered
17,552 Posts
odell gone
20xx Santa Fe 2.4 or 2.7 or 3.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, seeing I know a lot about the "SM" chassis and most of it' quirks, given the lack of info provided in post... all 3 engine can be made to choke on itself if the primary catalyst was to come apart and go downstrem into the secondary catalyst and block exhaust flow through 2nd honeycomb with all the debris

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Yes

Engine can't turn if the exhaust gasses have nowhere to go

Is the car under warranty?
SM chassis well out of WARRANTY long ago

·
Registered
882 Posts
check muffler if there's any bird or trash

If you completely block the exhaust, you can still start the car, then shut off very soon. I don't think you have that kind of problem

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
My answer is YES. I had a customer some years back that complained the car had lost a lot of power. By the time I got there it would crank but not start. After a few tests I dropped the exhaust at the manifold and bingo away it went. Found the cat had completely blocked the exhaust. Remove the front O2 sensor and see if it starts.

·
Registered
403 Posts
But this kind of a plug wouldn’t just happen one sunny day. I think he would’ve had issues before the cat got completely plugged.

Why not start with the typical crank-no start diagnosis instead of a plugged cat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But this kind of a plug wouldn’t just happen one sunny day. I think he would’ve had issues before the cat got completely plugged.

Why not start with the typical crank-no start diagnosis instead of a plugged cat?

I started with crank no start diagnosis, could not find problem, A little history might help> I bought this car for 500 dollars from a car lot dealer said a customer was on test drive and it just stopped. He thought engine was shot. I got home and checked it out pulled timing belt cover and everything looked good belt tight engine turned over good. I changed Fuel pump just in case. I have found engine will run but just barely if I hold gas pedal to floor. any thoughts ?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Checked all the usual stuff like powers, grounds, fuses, relays, spark, CEL’s, fuel at rail/injector... assuming no other history I the vehicle to see if someone tried to do the hokey-pokey?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I started with crank no start diagnosis, could not find problem, A little history might help> I bought this car for 500 dollars from a car lot dealer said a customer was on test drive and it just stopped. He thought engine was shot. I got home and checked it out pulled timing belt cover and everything looked good belt tight engine turned over good. I changed Fuel pump just in case. I have found engine will run but just barely if I hold gas pedal to floor. any thoughts ?

What motor? Pull the intake tube and see what the butterfly looks like. Make sure it is shut. If it is the 2.7 it could be the IAC. Doesn't explain the dying while test driving.

Or it could be the Accelerator position sensor if you have the 3.5. Watch the throttle plate while manually moving the APS(if you have the 3.5) That will tell you if the APS is good.

Pull the Vac supply for the EGR if you have the 3.5 to see if the EGR is open(solenoid stuck) Full EGR will stall the car or be difficult to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Santa fe is a 3.5 so I'll check the EGR thanks for the help. I'll update should I ever find and solve the problem >

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
If you have a vacuum gauge connect it to the manifold and start the engine. If you have a blocked exhaust it starts off fine and then the vacuum drops to atmospheric pressure and the engine cuts out. The quicker it drops the greater the blockage. Easy test.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts