Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post your experience with cartridge housing/filters for your vehicle. The 2020 Accent and Venue now have oil filter cartridges, not familiar with those.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I assume you are referring to an oil filter where you load the filter element into a housing, rather than spinning on an oil filter canister. I have had three vehicles with this type of oil filter. I briefly had a 2000 BMW, but I never did the oil changes on that vehicle. My 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk had this setup. The housing was on top of the engine and the cap was made of plastic. It was critical that you did not overtighten the housing, so before my first oil change I marked the position of the cap with a silver sharpie, and used this as a guide for reinstalling the cap. In 32,000 miles over two years I never had a problem. My wife's 2015 Lexus RX 450h has that type of filter also. This one has a two-part metal cap and is located on the bottom of the engine. The filter comes with a drain. You remove the small cap on the bottom of the larger cap, and screw the plastic drain into a hole, to drain out most of the oil from the housing. Once that (and the crankcase) are finished draining, you remove the larger cap, which contains the filter element. The filter also comes with two O-rings, one for the larger housing, and one for the smaller cap. Replace the O-rings, install the element, and reinstall the filter housing. A little more complicated than a spin-on filter, but not by much, and really not difficult to deal with at all.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have 4 Hyundais, all diesel. 3 have cartridge, 1 has spin on. The spin on is the hardest to get on and off due to location and tools required. The cartridge units are all located high and at the front of the motors. easy to reach and require a 27mm socket. For these each filter cartridge comes with 2 new o-rings and a new sump plug washer. Also by design the oil has already drained back.

Never had a problem, II never overtigthen the cap and never had it seized.I always use the new o-rings, clean the cap and threads, lightly lube the new oring and threads with fresh oil and install.

My only concern for my cars is the older one the filter housing is alloy with plastic cap, the later designs went all plastic.

I wonder if in time the plactic body may crack?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I had a 2012 MBZ C class that used cartridge oil filters, I believe all MBZ use this type.

No problems, a little more mess if your not careful and cost the same as a spin on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes the 2020 Hyundai Accent uses a ‘different’ Oil Filter than other Hyundai vehicles. The part # is 26350-2M000. They are available at discounthyundaiparts.com for a good price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts