Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2005 santa fe (w/3.5L engine) needed a new carrier bearing, according to my mechanic. He replaced the bearing and then had trouble finding the correct seal. He now says he found out that the seal and viscous coupler is one unit and the viscous coupler needs to be replaced. I am confused how these 3 parts (carrier bearing/seal/coupler) are connected and where they are located, but what concerns me more is whether the mechanic is correct or if he knows what he is doing. Any comments or ideas????
thanks

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Why do you need a new carrier bearing? Does it have vibration in the rear? Or are you talking about the front bearings?

Fronts have a bearing and hub assembly which is pressed into the steering knuckle.

Rear 4wd has a driveshaft with a carrier bearing, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jan 11 2010, 05:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=289837
Why do you need a new carrier bearing? Does it have vibration in the rear? Or are you talking about the front bearings?

Fronts have a bearing and hub assembly which is pressed into the steering knuckle.

Rear 4wd has a driveshaft with a carrier bearing, etc.
There was a vibration, he said it was because of the carrier bearing, which he replaced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Carrier bearing would be in either the rear or front differential. It's what's behind the yoke that either drive-shaft would connect too. As a rule these are replaced with a seal as part of the deal, and on certain vehicles, with a crush sleeve meant to take up the wear that has occurred over the years/miles of use. The hanger bearing is the one on the drive-shaft(second exploded view). The hanger bearing should be a self-contained sealed unit, no need for external seals.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
QUOTE (Beekman @ Jan 11 2010, 04:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=289844
There was a vibration, he said it was because of the carrier bearing, which he replaced.
Ok, but is the problem in the front or the rear?

Wheel bearings are not typically referred to as "carrier bearings", at least not that I know of. They're known as "wheel bearings". I've always known of carrier bearings as being on the driveshaft. The diagrams confirm this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "seal and viscous coupler". There's no bearing seal here, it's a sealed unit which is pressed into the knuckle. Once the bearing is pressed in, then the hub is pressed into the bearing. Also there's no "viscous coupler" anywhere on this car.

Another point is that if you have vibration from your Santa Fe, the first thing I'd ask is what brand and make tires do you have? How many miles does your tires have? Did you rotate on time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jan 12 2010, 10:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290048
Ok, but is the problem in the front or the rear?

I'm not sure what you mean by "seal and viscous coupler". There's no bearing seal here, it's a sealed unit which is pressed into the knuckle. Once the bearing is pressed in, then the hub is pressed into the bearing. Also there's no "viscous coupler" anywhere on this car.
Another point is that if you have vibration from your Santa Fe, the first thing I'd ask is what brand and make tires do you have? How many miles does your tires have? Did you rotate on time?
The tires are almost new, I don't think that was the problem as far as the vibration. They were balanced and I got an alignment.
As far as the "viscous coupler", I have the "InterActive Torque Management (ITM)" system: "The electronic ITM system available with the 3.5-liter V6 was developed by U.S. gearbox veteran Borg-Warner. It relies on a series of wet clutches mounted just ahead of the rear axle. A computer monitors wheel speed, throttle position and steering angle, and engages the clutches when necessary."
I thought about this a lot, and I think what the mechanic is saying is that there is a leaky seal at this coupler and he can't just replace just the seal, he has to has to replace the coupler/ITM device in it's entirety. Is this right?

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Well that's really interesting. I think I found the TSB about your leak problem. It's a warranty repair if you still have a warranty.
I couldn't find anything on the Borg Warner Trans. Was that an upgrade or a special edition?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jan 12 2010, 12:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290088
Well that's really interesting. I think I found the TSB about your leak problem. It's a warranty repair if you still have a warranty.
I couldn't find anything on the Borg Warner Trans. Was that an upgrade or a special edition?
Yes, there is a TSB on it. I bought the vehicle used, I don't know anything about the options or upgrades available on this. I don't have a warranty either. What I learned today is that the rear differential seal is not available as a separate item, you have to buy a new "snout" which has the seal pressed in.
I was quoted "about $1000.00" for this and I'm about to give up....

·
Registered
52 Posts
the viscous coupler is a clutch pack that mounts to the front of the diff. I have replaced these for being locked up, but never one for leaking. this is pretty much a sealed unit and I believe they list parts for it, but have never seen someone rebuild/reseal one.

Is he rebuilding the rear? there are carrier bearings in the rear, but the only seals he would need(if removing the pinion) would be 2 axle seals and a pinion seal. also rtv to seal the cover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (rdkillians @ Jan 12 2010, 11:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290236
the viscous coupler is a clutch pack that mounts to the front of the diff. I have replaced these for being locked up, but never one for leaking. this is pretty much a sealed unit and I believe they list parts for it, but have never seen someone rebuild/reseal one.

Is he rebuilding the rear? there are carrier bearings in the rear, but the only seals he would need(if removing the pinion) would be 2 axle seals and a pinion seal. also rtv to seal the cover.
He replaced the carrier bearing but the other issue was that the seal at the driveshaft end of the viscous coupler was leaking - that's the seal that he says cannot be replaced - it is pressed into the coupler and the whole unit needs to be replaced. There is a service bulletin out about this apparently.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had to replace the carrier bearing on my car after a nasty bottoming out. Im not sure how many different carrier bearings there are but mine was one that basically holds the drive shaft to the frame and was located almost directly in the center of the car both width and length wise.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, that is my understanding of the carrier bearing, my 2.7 has one as well and I had to straighten the bracket after clunking it on a big rock.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hanger/Carrier Bearing

My 2011 Tucson AWD started making a noise which turned out to be the hanger bearing. I brought it to the dealer here who said they had to replace the whole driveshaft for $1200.00. I googled the problem and found out that KIa has a lot of the same parts as Kia and Hyundai are the same company. Lo and behold Kia dealer fixed it for $372.00. Make you wanna switch or what?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jan 12 2010, 12:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=290088

Yes, there is a TSB on it. I bought the vehicle used, I don't know anything about the options or upgrades available on this. I don't have a warranty either. What I learned today is that the rear differential seal is not available as a separate item, you have to buy a new "snout" which has the seal pressed in.
I was quoted "about $1000.00" for this and I'm about to give up....
This might not be exactly the same, but it could give some insight into what is going wrong. Hyundai, simply throws away whole unit instead of just replacing the bearing. THis is a two part video, but it could give you an idea of what is going wrong with your car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your the man 1,2 bbq, thank you for fixing the impossible and I'm sure saved a few of us diy-selfers from getting bent over while someone sweet talks us out of a stupid amount of money. You know if your driving a hyundai there is a very good possibility that you shure as $#!+ don't have 1500 dollars to buy some fancy ass "unservisable" doohicky that man brains here fixed with out even having to give up any knuckle meat in the prosess not even a curse word (unless he's good at editing vids) any how I'm off to loose a couple knuckles and see how my unservisable santa fe likes it when I curse and wine while I try to service this doohicky.

Much appreciated South Main Auto. U da $#!+

Ps. you should wear a cape if your going to make a habbet out of saving ppl like this. Haha but really...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts