Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just bought a new Elantra 2017, that is supposed to have a native support to apple Carplay. I've connected via cable and bluetooth my iphone 5s, but the car doesn't show be the carplay button (like we can see in many youtube videos...). I'm from Canada, there is any difference about carplay support between Canadian and US versions?

In the multimedia system manual there is no reference for CarPlay, only for google auto. But all sites inclusive Canadian ones said that Elantra 2017 is compatible with Carplay...

In the Menu there is a system icon that shows me the system version:
SW VER: AD.CAN.0000.v067.151023
Firmware ver: MICOM.ST.CAN.192.20151015
There is an update button, but when I push it, an error popup said that there is no upgrade file in the SD card.

My questions:

1) where is located this SD card?
2) is it possible to upgrade via USB port?
3) Where can I find this upgrade file?? (there is nothing in Hyundai site)
4) All this is my mistake? Anybody know how to run can carplay correctly?

·
Registered
181 Posts
You may need to consult your dealer. Sounds like you have the package that's supposed to have it. I'm in the US, but I don't see any reason for different country versions since an iPhone is an iPhone. Didn't look, but is there an "enable CarPlay" in the settings?

Mine automatically linked, started playing a song from mu iPhone and showed the CarPlay icon on the screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to call Hyundai Canada and the dealer.... this is annoying... :(
In the options there is only an option to enable/disable the Google system.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well I'm no expert but I just went to the Hyundai Canada website and looked at the 2017 Elantra there. They do prominently mention Android Auto support but I see no mention of Apple CarPlay. I'm not sure if that means it will never have it or if it might be delayed and coming later, similar to the forthcoming CarPlay support for the 2015 Sonata.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Saw it work in person on the Limited model (US)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I went into Hyundai Canada website again and choose the Build And Price Tool. I picked the Elantra Ultimate trim, the highest available. It has the 8 inch navigation system with Android Auto, again no mention of Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Often times that sort of technology has geographic limitations. So it's quite possible that it's not available in Canada for some reason. The dealer or Hyundai Canada should be able to answer the question.

·
Registered
952 Posts
The 2017 Elantra SE you need the Popular package added to the car here in the USA. not sure about Canada.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Another interesting observation. Going to the HyundaiUSA.com site, at the bottom, under 'Why Hyundai' heading, they have links for both Android Auto and Car Play. Going to the HyundaiCanada.com site, at the bottom under the 'Discover' heading, they list an Android Auto link but no CarPlay link. The message seems to be clear, no CarPlay for Canada, at least not yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going through the same thing. Just bought the 2017 Elantra Limited and CarPlay does not work. I'm also in Canada. Went back to the dealership and tried on two other 2017 Elantras, also no go.
Adding to the problem is that it appears Hyundai Canada isn't giving any information to the dealerships regarding this.....yet. I also don't see anywhere on their website where consumers can ask questions regarding it.
Android auto and Siri Eyes Free appear to be working without issue.
Hopefully things are resolved soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just talked to someone at Hyundai Canada
CarPlay is not available here yet (at least not on the 2017 Elantra). Not sure why, possibly licensing issues? They're apparently working on it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1) Please, anyone from US which have an GLS model (7" multimedia system), can post a picture of the SW version??
For sure the sw version from US and Canada are not the same, I just want to confirm! :)

2) Anyone knows where is located the SD card which contains the SW files?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Welcome to Canada

Hi, I've just bought a new Elantra 2017, that is supposed to have a native support to apple Carplay. I've connected via cable and bluetooth my iphone 5s, but the car doesn't show be the carplay button (like we can see in many youtube videos...). I'm from Canada, there is any difference about carplay support between Canadian and US versions?

In the multimedia system manual there is no reference for CarPlay, only for google auto. But all sites inclusive Canadian ones said that Elantra 2017 is compatible with Carplay...

In the Menu there is a system icon that shows me the system version:
SW VER: AD.CAN.0000.v067.151023
Firmware ver: MICOM.ST.CAN.192.20151015
There is an update button, but when I push it, an error popup said that there is no upgrade file in the SD card.

My questions:

1) where is located this SD card?
2) is it possible to upgrade via USB port?
3) Where can I find this upgrade file?? (there is nothing in Hyundai site)
4) All this is my mistake? Anybody know how to run can carplay correctly?
No Carplay on Canadian model as far as I know.
You are lucky to get Android Auto at least ;) :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've just received an answer from Hyundai:

Hyundai Canada Customer Service <[email protected]>

to me

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Auto Canada. We apologize for our delayed response.

We would like to congratulate you on the purchase of your 2017 Elantra. Currently, Android Auto is an available feature on this vehicle. Apple CarPlay is still under review in Canada, and, at this point in time we are unable to confirm that the 2017 Elantra will be equipped with this feature. Stay tuned on our corporate website or with your selling dealership for any updates we may release. Please note American and Canadian Hyundai vehicles were manufactured for two different markets, and are equipped with different features.

We apologize for any dissatisfaction this may have caused. Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future.

Kindest regards,

Danielle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Apple has pretty tight regulations on their software while Android is a mostly open source platform. It's a lot easier for developers to create and license software for Android.
Also, Android currently has approximately 80% of the smartphone market while Apple has approximately 17%. With that kind of a split, I'm sure that the cost per prospective buyer is also a factor with the licensing of the CarPlay in Canada.

I just got my 2017 Elantra with the GLS trim and have been trying to get the Android Auto to work with my car. I get to the point where I tap on the icon on the screen but then it times out when communicating with the phone. Even though my phone has Lollipop on it, it only works on 2G because it was developed for an Asian market with different frequencies. I'm thinking the 2G connection is probably why it's timing out.

Got my fingers crossed for you iOS users out there. Hopefully Hyundai will reach an agreement with Apple and have a software update available for you in the near future.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts